Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton v GWS-Post Match thread (Read 24821 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton v GWS-Post Match thread

Reply #15
Another quality post mozzie, run off to your mates on bomberblitz.

I consider myself a realist, which others take as negative, but I reckon we are better than results indicate and there are some players with futures amongst the hacks, no hopers and blokes that won't compete.

Come on....our club has been crap for a generation.....stop being emotionally attached to this list....they are worst list we have had...dont shoot the messenger....parkin agrees with me

Reply #17
Not entirely unexpected but the second half especially was almost unbearable to watch. Dreading next week as I will be a guest in the members with aHawks supporting mate. Why did I accept that invitation?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
The next few years are going to be very painful, we've simply got too many players who can't kick the ball and we can't replace them in a year or two, or even three.
As for today Cripps and Bell were the standouts but our skills were so poor we couldn't possibly match a half decent side away from Melbourne.
I think today was the end of the line for Watson, he was a non event and he's had enough chances now, the sad thing is that he's one of the very we have who can actually kick reliably.
Yarran, what do you say?
The most skilful and exhilarating player at the club who clearly doesn't want to be there, I'm at a loss to know what went so wrong between him and the club in the last 12 months but whatever it was he's no use to us like he is.
I shudder to think what Hawthorn will do to us next week. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
No point judging players on today or next weeks games.....objectives are not normal and the team we are fielding is out of its depth vs anyone half decent.

Cripps was good again, Docherty just ok, Buckley showed some dash....Boekhorst didnt impress me today like he did last week but like I said you cant judge players on todays non event...he doesnt chase very well and its all about being offensive for him at the moment and its an area of his game that Bolton needs to fix.

Seasons end cant come quick enough for players and supporters...roll on trade week and the draft........

Reply #20
Got to try to find positives. I find it hard to tell when you're not at the ground, but apart from Cripps, I was impressed again by Kade Simpson today. Great team player, keeps putting himself in the right places, often at his own peril. Really hope he sticks around for the next couple of years while we're teaching a bunch of young kids how to play football

Reply #21
Got to try to find positives. I find it hard to tell when you're not at the ground, but apart from Cripps, I was impressed again by Kade Simpson today. Great team player, keeps putting himself in the right places, often at his own peril. Really hope he sticks around for the next couple of years while we're teaching a bunch of young kids how to play football

I thought by Simmo's standard he was a little down today, but no matter. In the context of the last decade, he is an out and out CFC legend. Love him to bits.

Reply #22
It was pretty clear we played better without henderson and yarran last week.

Spot on.

You cannot be competitive in today's AFL without at least 18 goers on the field and some capable interchange players.

Yarran and Menzel have talent but put on a good impression of the invisible man when called upon to apply any defensive pressure. Watson used to do a similarly good impression but now he tries hard enough to be seen on the screen and I wish I couldn't see him.

Even among the triers, too many are simply too slow to get to contests to apply pressure - e.g. Dick, Walsh, Whiley and Ellard (just to name a few) and Boekhorst only shows speed when he has the ball - when he (supposedly) chases an opponent, he runs like he is wearing lead boots - he does have some talent but, unless someone teaches him how to chase, he will be a liability in future teams.

Whose parking spot did Holman park in to for him not be selected for this game?

Reply #23
What a bad game, unwatchable even with the sound down.

Walsh has a good size with some nous, could be OK with some endurance.
Whiley is small and slow and stupid. Will not make it.
Watson and Tutt are just bad.

Barker baked them at 3/4, to no effect. Dead duck coach, dead duck game.

Cripps is a modern day Diesel.

Go Baggers!

Reply #24
Missed chunks of the game due to kids breakfast and hawthorn match but hardly inspired to watch the whole thing.

From what I saw, Cripps did his thing which is just so impressive for a fellow in just his second year. Bell and curnow kept going and competing and it trailed off after that. I agree that Boekhorst will be a player, and his decision making is good, but he is only in his first year.

For those wanting to gut the list and draft draft draft, it is important to realise that such an option is destructive and leaves a lot in the hands of the gods. There is massive potential improvement in many players we have running around. Skills and decision making must and will improve. If the story that it has taken 4 years for Casboult to get a dedicated kicking coach are true then it is likely that the coaching and development at the club has been nothing short of deplorable. Get this addressed, and players kicking better and we will improve. I just dont accept that most players cant significantly improve their skills through practice.

Given it is the second last round in a terrible year the poor standards are understandable, if not excusable.

Reply #25
Missed chunks of the game due to kids breakfast and hawthorn match but hardly inspired to watch the whole thing.

From what I saw, Cripps did his thing which is just so impressive for a fellow in just his second year. Bell and curnow kept going and competing and it trailed off after that. I agree that Boekhorst will be a player, and his decision making is good, but he is only in his first year.

For those wanting to gut the list and draft draft draft, it is important to realise that such an option is destructive and leaves a lot in the hands of the gods. There is massive potential improvement in many players we have running around. Skills and decision making must and will improve. If the story that it has taken 4 years for Casboult to get a dedicated kicking coach are true then it is likely that the coaching and development at the club has been nothing short of deplorable. Get this addressed, and players kicking better and we will improve. I just dont accept that most players cant significantly improve their skills through practice.

Given it is the second last round in a terrible year the poor standards are understandable, if not excusable.

The issue is not skill execution per se. The issue is skill execution under pressure in match conditions, which is the only time that skill execution really matters. Walks has said that at training their skills are great - everything is executed perfectly, and he can't understand why it falls apart on game day. These guys spend as much time training as every other team in the comp (at least I hope so). We have first round picks. We have players that can put it together at training, but not in a match. I've already given my theory, so I won't repeat it here.

Reply #26
Had 26 players to choose from this week apparently. No wonder Watto got a go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
It was pretty clear we played better without henderson and yarran last week.
The way Yazz looked sitting on the bench, I'd say he's played with last game with us. I don't know what is going on in his head, but playing footy isn't it.

Hendo is gone and if Geelong keep losing, we might actually get a decent pick for him.

Watson is gone, but at least he tried. Ellard may have played his last game for us, especially as he went off.

But for all the doom and gloom, we had 19 unavailable players today, including our Brownlow Medalist, our Captain and last years B & F winner. You take that out of most sides, and they won't play very well either.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
The way Yazz looked sitting on the bench, I'd say he's played with last game with us. I don't know what is going on in his head, but playing footy isn't it.

Hendo is gone and if Geelong keep losing, we might actually get a decent pick for him.

Watson is gone, but at least he tried. Ellard may have played his last game for us, especially as he went off.

But for all the doom and gloom, we had 19 unavailable players today, including our Brownlow Medalist, our Captain and last years B & F winner. You take that out of most sides, and they won't play very well either.

I don't know if I want the Cats to keep losing. It brings that first pick up but it also brings pick 30 up. :-\

I don't think Henderson is worth higher than 10. Most are saying he's worth early 20s. Pick 26 for him would be a disaster.

Reply #29
No captain, no experience, no coach, no way!

I'm surprised we didn't lose by 100+. GWS for all their talent, I think the commentators said 12 players picked in the top 15, weren't all that impressive. I think we have players who are worrying about what's going to happen next season rather than on this season.

A new coach and direction will fix some problems, so will getting players back. Add some young talent with drive and a willingness to compete, a new game plan that emphasizes skills, rather than playing the percentages, we will still be bottom 4 but I hope to get more effort than this.

Roll on next season, when we start again.