Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton v GWS-Post Match thread (Read 24822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton v GWS-Post Match thread

Reply #75
I love the way so many on here are trying to make out that Bolton is now regretting taking the job and is shocked by what he saw. We had 26 players to chose from and played like it. Cripps and Kreuzer were possibly the only 2 players in our top 10 that were playing.

I'd wager plenty on the fact that he's champing at the bit to get his hands on the list and move it in the right direction.

I think there's a bit of tongue in cheek involved!  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
Players choose how much effort they make, Barker has been stating this week after week, they write their own destiny!
And he was particularly blunt about it this week. If that doesn't get through a few heads, well, they won't be there in 2016 to worry about it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #77
Cripps and Kreuzer were possibly the only 2 players in our top 10 that were playing.

Jamison, Simpson and Bell are definitely in our top 10, probably Tuohy and Curnow as well and Yarran for certain until his form slump.
Thomas, Gibbs, Murphy and Carrazzo were missing which leaves 6 who weren't.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #78
We have been without Judd, Thomas, Carrazzo, Casboult, Henderson, Murphy and Gibbs also which doesn't help. Not making excuses though. We had more players that impact a game missing than GWS did.

Further, this reduces on field leadership/skill, increasing responsibility for the few seniors. In turn, the likes of Walsh & co. have to hit the ground running prematurely. Given all the outs and off field struggles, I think they did as well as could be expected. This is not to say there weren't some passengers - we all spotted them. Of course, those blokes will no doubt soon be part of the history book.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #79
Of course, those blokes will no doubt soon be part of the history book.

True, but effort alone isn't enough.
Tutt and Dick gave it everything they had yesterday but their foot skills are awful, do we retain them and keep playing them because they have a red hot crack?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #80
True, but effort alone isn't enough.
Tutt and Dick gave it everything they had yesterday but their foot skills are awful, do we retain them and keep playing them because they have a red hot crack?

Not that i was clear, but my reference was more to  the younger players whom would ideally be soundly mentored.
Agree - the club needs to make the tough call on those blokes who've had development opportunities, but not produced the goods. A 'healthy' team can probably accomadate some players who's strenght is 'guts not glam'. Clearly there's a balance required and at present we're weighed down (injury and talent), creating vulnerability that talented GWS capitalised on.
There's a whole discussion then on 'development of players'...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #81
Jamison, Simpson and Bell are definitely in our top 10, probably Tuohy and Curnow as well and Yarran for certain until his form slump.
Thomas, Gibbs, Murphy and Carrazzo were missing which leaves 6 who weren't.

I would have thought that Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran, Henderson, Carrazzo and Thomas would be considered to be top 10 players for us at the start of the year. That's 7 players and apart from Cripps probably our next best 7. Yarran was out there but in name only. Thomas as the highest paid player on the list.

Like I said, 26 players to choose from and probably 8 of our best 10 or 11 missing. Not all doom and gloom.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #82
Yes thats true, our current results are not a true indication, but next year out of that list Judd  , Hendo , most proberly Yaz & Carrots wont be there and Daisy is still questionable. Jammo show signs of age.  Bell who knows depending on which thread you read. So unless we do get an influx of talent & committment , there still is a lack of in's for our current side to make us competitive

Reply #83
I would have thought that Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran, Henderson, Carrazzo and Thomas would be considered to be top 10 players for us at the start of the year. That's 7 players and apart from Cripps probably our next best 7. Yarran was out there but in name only. Thomas as the highest paid player on the list.

Like I said, 26 players to choose from and probably 8 of our best 10 or 11 missing. Not all doom and gloom.

Of the players you named only Murphy, Gibbs and Thomas will definitely be playing in round one next season.
The outlook is far from rosie, we have a major skills deficit that won't be overcome by adding three or four players, and we have no KPP's.
I truly wish I shared your optimism, but 4 wins for the season tells its own story IMO.

Reply #84
We need to get young talent into the club to complement the future in Cripps, Buckley, Graham and Docherty. We are about to do that in a big way. Not to mention the recruitment of SOS and Rice. Things can turn around very quickly.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
We need to get young talent into the club to complement the future in Cripps, Buckley, Graham and Docherty. We are about to do that in a big way. Not to mention the recruitment of SOS and Rice. Things can turn around very quickly.

I hope so but I have my doubts, Carlton has disappointed me too often in the last 15 years.
The great Geelong side of 8 or 10 years ago had a group of a dozen or so top quality players all around the same age who came through together, so did the Brisbane side which won three of four.
I can't see the same happening at Carlton.
We could become competitive within three or four years but I don't see a Premiership on the horizon, we've just made too many poor recruiting decisions over the last 10 years.

Reply #86
For experience we have:

Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Tuohy
Casboult

To grow together we have:

Cripps
Buckley
Graham
Docherty
Boekhorst
Yarran (if he stays)
Jaksch
Menzel
Weitering/Scache
SOS
Rice

Plus any other picks we get this year through the Hendo trade and possibly Yarran or Kreuzer as well as what we may get in the next draft and the possibility of a free agent.

It's not as bad as it seems.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #87
For experience we have:

Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Tuohy
Casboult

Cripps
Buckley
Graham
Docherty
Boekhorst
Yarran (if he stays)
Jaksch
Menzel
Weitering/Scache
SOS
Rice

Plus any other picks we get this year through the Hendo trade and possibly Yarran or Kreuzer as well as what we may get in the next draft and the possibility of a free agent.

.....and Giles, Byrne and Sheehan.
Very excited by these three.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #88
Spot on see and there's Walsh as well who Elwood thinks has ability. Also if Dinger Bell stays. We are not that bad.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
For experience we have:
Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Tuohy
Casboult

Add Thomas and Walks, but Jamison and Simpson probably won't be around in three years.
Casboult is a very average footballer.

Cripps
Buckley
Graham
Docherty
Boekhorst
Yarran (if he stays)
Jaksch
Menzel
Weitering/Scache
SOS
Rice

Some of whom may not make the grade.

I'll let you know in about round 6 or 7 next year, I'll want to be seeing some positive signs.