Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations (Read 45315 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations

Reply #180
Not sure what Byrne has done wrong, must have sh1t in Bolts bed!

He hasn't earned a game yet.

I like the way he plays and was impressed with a lot of his work in the NAB game against Essendon.  However, he made errors (as did many others) that suggested to me that he isn't quite ready.  The other factor is that the players that he could replace haven't done much wrong.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #181
Jamo was pretty ordinary without doubt but Rowe also struggled, especially in trying to take marks. He was spoiling when he should have marked on a couple of crucial plays and he fumbled at other times. Maybe the selectors were nervous especially with Buddy lurking?

Jamison had 9 disposals and took 3 marks.  Rowe had 12 disposals and 6 marks.  Neither laid a tackle  ::). Rowe did better than Jamison when playing on Buddy in the NAB game so I don't think that it's a match up issue.

Wouldn't it be great if the club explained the reasons for selection decisions?  It would take the wind out of a lot of debates here  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #182
I think we need to show some faith in our new coach, I disagree with it as well but last week's effort was full of merit so let's see how it pans out.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #183
I think we need to show some faith in our new coach, I disagree with it as well but last week's effort was full of merit so let's see how it pans out.

Yes, BB is always talking about "learning opportunities" so this game featuring one of the game's leading players in Buddy would be one such opportunity. Playing on him would be no doubt a real "schooling".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #184
Players will get chances as the season drags on. Rowe last week went to spoil when he probably should have gone to mark. Given the importance of gaining and retaining posession it wasn't what the team needed. His disposal also isn't great compared to where we need to be. Its hard to see a place for Rowe if it becomes a priority to move the ball quickly in and out of the backline.

If sydney go forward as many times as they did last week then it will be a heavy defeat regardless of who is down there. We have to win in the middle.

Reply #185
You could well have hit the nail here GTC. This game could very well be a vital lesson in Weitering's education. Learn from one of the best in the business - an opportunity to be seized.
Exactly and the point being even if Buddy kicked 10 on him hypothetically, it wouldnt faze him in a negative sense. It would only make him more determined to ensure it never happened again. This is how the kid comes across to me at least. We've got ourselves a special one in JW.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #186
Players will get chances as the season drags on. Rowe last week went to spoil when he probably should have gone to mark. Given the importance of gaining and retaining posession it wasn't what the team needed. His disposal also isn't great compared to where we need to be. Its hard to see a place for Rowe if it becomes a priority to move the ball quickly in and out of the backline.

If sydney go forward as many times as they did last week then it will be a heavy defeat regardless of who is down there. We have to win in the middle.
Rowe is also very slow to make a decision. With the new game style, its fair to say it involves quick decision making and quick ball movement by hand and foot. Most have grasped this concept and have adapted well. What it has done though is exposed blokes like Rowe, White and to a lesser extent Jamo. These 3 in particular stop and prop alot more than the others. Yes being deep in defence means you have to be careful with the decision you make however it still needs to be quick and correct. Even things like mark vs punch/spoil, they often make the wrong decision under pressure. Watch Weitering in action, he sums it up very quickly and moves it quickly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #187
Exactly and the point being even if Buddy kicked 10 on him hypothetically, it wouldnt faze him in a negative sense. It would only make him more determined to ensure it never happened again. This is how the kid comes across to me at least. We've got ourselves a special one in JW.

Lockett did the same to SOS and it didn't hurt him in the least so you can see where BB is going with this. I remember the day at Waverly well. SOS still won over half the contests. It was one of a precosious Minton-Connell's first games.

Reply #188

Worked for Zac Dawson...been a finals flop since he was Roccered as a kid...

Reply #189
As Baggers reported from the NBs practice match, Rowe and Byrne didn't play.  More importantly, Buckley was withdrawn at the last minute, suggesting an injury concern for one of the blokes named in the 22.

Reply #190
Worked for Zac Dawson...been a finals flop since he was Roccered as a kid...
So thats what I meant, was obviously one that Zac couldnt handle it at a young age.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #191
So thats what I meant, was obviously one that Zac couldnt handle it at a young age.

Fair enough..Zac aint half the player JW is at the same age and I expect our boy to give a good account of himself vs Buddy...as long as he doesnt do a Cale Hooker and
let Buddy run the length of the SCG with him jogging behind... ;)

Reply #192
As Baggers reported from the NBs practice match, Rowe and Byrne didn't play.  More importantly, Buckley was withdrawn at the last minute, suggesting an injury concern for one of the blokes named in the 22.

What's the bet it's Murphy?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
What's the bet it's Murphy?

I hope not! Perhaps the club is playing ducks and drakes?

You would think though that having Lamb, Wright and Buckley in the same side is a little out of balance which makes me think that Lamb or Wright might be crook.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #194
More glowing endorsement for the young fella, how far can he go?

Patrick Cripps a Carlton great in the making, draws comparison to Greg “Diesel” Williams
April 2, 2016 8:00pm
SHANE CRAWFORDHerald Sun

Shane Crawford says Patrick Cripps should be referred to as Diesel Mark III. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
CHRIS Judd watched Carlton’s Round 1 clash with Richmond on his laptop from a beach in Dubai, but even though he was thousands of miles away from the MCG there was one thing he couldn’t escape noticing.

Patrick Cripps.

The retired Blues great took delight in seeing 21-year-old Cripps cracking into every contest, seemingly getting better as every match grew more physical.

“When the game was in the balance, he just seemed to will himself to have more of an influence,” Judd told me this week.

“Usually with young players, it takes four years for the penny to drop, but for him it dropped from the end of his first season.

“He is so serious about getting success as an individual, and from a team point of view. For someone his age, he is elite in terms of the way he uses his body and with his vision by hand.”

Cripps is already one of the best contested players in the AFL at an age when most young footballers are just worried about getting a kick.

Just watching him closely last week, as I have over the past year and a bit, he reminded me so much of my former teammate Sam Mitchell, and, by extension the man Mitchell is often compared to, Greg “Diesel” Williams.

To my eye, if Mitchell is Diesel Mark II, as David Parkin used to say, then Cripps might as well be dubbed Diesel Mark III.

That might sound a stretch given he has played only 24 AFL games. I can assure you it isn’t, as I am comfortable in saying that Cripps has the potential to be just as decorated as the other two contested kings.

I asked Juddy about the comparison with Mitchell and Williams. He didn’t shy away from it, saying: “He is every bit as hard as Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell.”

Patrick Cripps is already on his way to becoming a Carlton great.

Judd believes his own career-ending knee injury last season helped Cripps: “The best thing for Patrick was when I got injured, he got more of a go.”

Some kids might have wilted. Cripps went on to win what I am sure will be the first of many Carlton best and fairests, becoming the youngest Blue to do it since John Nicholls in 1959.

He is in rare company to win a club champion award before his 21st birthday, among them Michael Voss, Andrew McLeod, Tim Watson, Nick Riewoldt, Kevin Murray and Jack Dyer.

Cripps’ superb 2015 season came off the back of him personally hiring a speed coach the previous summer to work on his running.

He’s not super fast, probably never will be. But put a ball into the equation and he’s bloody hard to stop. He is so strong around the contest that opposition teams are now working out ways to have ruckmen tap the ball away from him.

His contested work is freakish. To be able to wrestle for the ball with players who have had 10 years experience on him, and to win out on most counts is extraordinary. He can only get stronger in the future, too.

Unfortunately, Champion Data wasn’t around when a young Greg Williams showed us how good he was at getting the ball. He had 38 touches in his first AFL game, with Geelong.

Williams went on to win two Brownlow Medals, a Norm Smith and just about everything else during stints with Sydney and Carlton.

But if you look at Cripps’ record over his first 24 games and Mitchell’s over that same period, you can see why Carlton supporters are so excited.

He’s got a young ‘Mitch’ covered in terms of possessions, contested possessions, tackles and just about every other comparison. And we all know how good a player Mitchell has turned out to be, winning just about every award imaginable, other than a Brownlow Medal (which still could happen for him).

By the end of his career, I can see Cripps — barring serious injury — being almost as decorated as Williams and Mitchell.

He’ll be a Carlton captain, too, but there is plenty of time for that.

The scary thing is he is almost 20cm taller than Williams, and 16cm taller than Mitchell, which provides a few more strings to his bow.

Imagine being able to slip Cripps into the forward line at times. He has a got a good grab, and it could be a super weapon for coach Brendon Bolton to consider in the future.

For the time being, having him in the midfield is enough. He mainly gets the opposition best run-with now, even though the Blues still have Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs.

Carlton botched much of its drafting over many years, but they have struck gold with their No. 13 pick from the 2013 draft.

It is among the best decisions the club has made since its last flag in 1995 — which incidentally was the year Cripps was born.

Now the next decision they need to make is to lock him away for life — by offering him a rolling contract that runs for a decade, or maybe more. He is locked in until the end of 2019. If I were the Blues, I would extend that to the end of 2027, just to stop Fremantle and West Coast from thinking he could ever return to WA.

He won’t. He will go on to become one of Carlton’s greatest player of all-time, if he can channel his first 24 games into the next 12-15 seasons. And along the way he might help deliver the Blues’ elusive 17th AFL flag.

THE THREE “DIESELS”

Contested possession kings

GREG WILLIAMS

First 24 games — with Geelong (1984-85)

Average disposals: 27

Contested disposals, clearances, score involvements, tackles were not recorded during this time.

Honours: Brownlow Medal (1986, 1994); AFLPA MVP (1985, 1994); Geelong best and fairest (1985); Carlton best and fairest (1994), Norm Smith Medal (1995); AFL Team of the Century (interchange); Sydney and Carlton Team of the Century (centre); E.J. Whitten Medal (1987); All-Australian (1986-87); premiership player (1995)

SAM MITCHELL

First 24 games — with Hawthorn (2002-03)

Average disposals: 14.7

Average contested possessions: 8

Average clearances: 5

Average tackles: 3.9

Average goals: 0.2

Honours: AFL Rising Star (2003); Hawthorn best and fairest (2006, 2009, 2011, 2012); All-Australian (2011, 2013, 2015), equal second in Brownlow Medal (2012); third in Brownlow Medal (2015); premiership player (2008, 2013-15); Liston Trophy (2002

PATRICK CRIPPS

First 24 games — with Carlton (2014-16)

Average disposals: 21.9

Average contested possessions: 12.7

Average clearances: 5.9

Average tackles: 4.6

Average goals: 0.3

Honours: Carlton best and fairest (2015); runner-up in AFL Rising Star (2015)

Stats: Champion Data

EVOLUTION OF THE CONTESTED KINGS

Diesel Mark I — 1980s and 1990s: Greg Williams (176cm)

Diesel Mark II — 2000s and 2010s: Sam Mitchell (179cm)

Diesel Mark III — 2010s: Patrick Cripps (195cm)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th