Skip to main content
Topic: Questions (Read 12602 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Questions

Reply #15
Something else to think about.

The selection process of players in form or not to get a gig at AFL level has no bearing on how well they will perform the following week, and also whether or not they're ready.

You can do everything right and still stink it up next week. That's simply where our kids are at.  Half of them would never have experienced Friday night footy in a stadium like that one. There are many reasons why things happen sometimes but its important that we don't judge a decision made with the benefit of hindsight.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
A worry for me Thry is the message from the club and coach is that they expect to win games.

Yet it's pretty clear you cannot take so many 1st year kids into a game like that and expect to win!

Play to win of course, I expect them to play to win in every game.

Expect them to win, no!

Select to win......?

Select to develop......, I'm not sure?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
A worry for me Thry is the message from the club and coach is that they expect to win games.

Yet it's pretty clear you cannot take so many 1st year kids into a game like that and expect to win!

Play to win of course, I expect them to play to win in every game.

Expect them to win, no!

Select to win......?

Select to develop......, I'm not sure?

I think you're misinterpreting what the coach says. Here are some real quotes to digest.

"It was one that got away ... (we're) disappointed (and) frustrated," Bolton said.

"We have a high expectation of this group even though they're young.

"We know they're developing, we know they're learning but we got ourselves in a position at three-quarter time to win a game and some errors really hurt us.

"It's a really good learning opportunity but ... (we're) really frustrated that we didn't get a result."

Reply #18
I think you're misinterpreting what the coach says. Here are some real quotes to digest.

"It was one that got away ... (we're) disappointed (and) frustrated," Bolton said.

"We have a high expectation of this group even though they're young.

"We know they're developing, we know they're learning but we got ourselves in a position at three-quarter time to win a game and some errors really hurt us.

"It's a really good learning opportunity but ... (we're) really frustrated that we didn't get a result."

It's difficult to know exactly what he or the club are thinking because those answers are what he is supposed to say. He can hardly tell the world that we're not interested in winning, which is why we're playing the kids.

He says a few contradictory things e.g "we won't be defined by wins and losses".

Reply #19
It's difficult to know exactly what he or the club are thinking because those answers are what he is supposed to say. He can hardly tell the world that we're not interested in winning, which is why we're playing the kids.

He says a few contradictory things e.g "we won't be defined by wins and losses".

Well Paul, it does seem to me BB is towing the company line, I hope the people making the call on his career are in direct support and contact with him, because BB would be in a world of hurt at 99 out of 100 footy clubs after an effort like that!

Compare this weekends result and media to the heat Ratts took in the final stages of his caretaker season!

Let's hope our club has changed, because if it hasn't I have some very grave concerns!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Bolton revealed over the weekend that he had three separate phone calls of support from the Pres, CEO and SOS. All encouraged him to stick with the plan.

No, we will not be defined by wins and losses, and if the opportunity to win a game is there, we take it. Is there anything more to explain?

Reply #21
Bolton revealed over the weekend that he had three separate phone calls of support from the Pres, CEO and SOS. All encouraged him to stick with the plan.

No, we will not be defined by wins and losses, and if the opportunity to win a game is there, we take it. Is there anything more to explain?

That's all very well, but it sounds like a "have your cake and eat it" approach.

Reply #22

Its when the board say you have their full support you want to start worrying..... :-X

Reply #23
Its when the board say you have their full support you want to start worrying..... :-X

It's noticeable EB that there are no public statements coming from anywhere/anyone but BB - or have I missed them?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24

Only when the board say that to the media are you in strife.

Until then you are good.

At that point you're a dead man walking because the public don't believe it anymore.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
It's noticeable EB that there are no public statements coming from anywhere/anyone but BB - or have I missed them?
No. As I stated, these days they are doing things that are very un-Carlton like. A Board that can STFU is a very good start.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26

No Cookie, have not seen or heard any comment from any other Carlton official....its all green shoots and sprouts from the coach only.... ;)

Reply #27
My intention wasn't to come across as too critical or negative.

Bahahaha. From someone who was considered very negative and critical i refer you to the optimist vs realist vs pessimist debate.

It's all relative.

I can't say i'm happy to be justified by my comments referring to where we are really at, as ultimately it means we are failing to rise up the ladder. However, it is good for my frame of mind. I'm not insane!  ;D

A few people are taking a bit of a reality check of late and it is a bit of a shock to the system. I wonder how many others have had similar changes of heart?

Reply #28
Q1-What did Bolton really think going into this last game? Did he expect the possibility of a 100 point thrashing or did he expect the kids to put on a bit of a show?
I'm sure he'd hoped we'd put in a gutsy effort with a team of blokes putting in for their mate. The final margin would be irrelevant. As it turns out, what he'd hoped for didn't occur...and the final margin just highlighted that fact. He'll be very upset with the lack of effort.

Q2-Has that result influenced the selection process for upcoming games?
Yes, i think blokes who are unwilling or unable to put in effort will be spending more time in the 2's. Be that young, old or otherwise

Q3-No doubt youngsters will benefit from game time… but is that more beneficial when you’re surrounded by more experienced players?
There is a balancing act. Young players learn what to do off senior players. The more young players, the less senior players and the less learning they can do. I've got no problem with bringing in kids, but we probably should have dropped a couple back for some of the recently promoted ones.

Q4-What do the senior players feel about being surrounded by such a young group? How do they feel about carrying an extra burden with the knowledge that they may not be around to taste any success?
If you spend too much time thinking about the future, the don't spend enough time focusing on the now. They should be focused on doing their role, which includes helping the kids coming through.

Q5-How do experienced fringe players feel about being passed over for selection to get games into kids? The message for these guys is “You’re finished!”…how does that affect team dynamics? They may not be the future but they are the “here and now” and as such can be a positive or a negative influence depending on how they’re managed.
How do they feel? Depends on the individual. You can be a Laidler and sook it up and get sent packing. Or you can be an Armfield who knuckles down and earns a spot in the leadership group. I've been banging on about the culture of this club pre-Mick and this is an example i've used to explain why we've kept the players we have and delisted others. We need the right character in our players and we need to weed out ones that are not.

Q6-Despite comments to the contrary, wins don’t seem to be important at the moment and it’s all about development. But how long can folk hold the faith while that process occurs?
Wins are not important, effort is. Bring effort and wins will come. Wins are a byproduct of effort. With effort comes development, belief and confidence in the whole direction the club is heading.

Q7-How good a match day and tactical coach is Bolton. He has wraps on him as a developer of character. What’s he like as a developer of footballers.
Whatever happens long term with Bolton as our senior coach, he is the right coach for now. Whether he can take us to a flag, or even close, he is fixing the culture. Get that right and we'll be better placed to understand if he can actually coach on match day.

Q8-Are we asking too much of Weitering and Cripps…both appear to be hampered by injuries that aren’t serious enough to stop them from playing but what’s the mental toll of continuing to push the injured body?
Yes we are, but unfortunately we don't have many options. We have a list full of kids, some of them will obviously not be up to the rigours of AFL footy 22 rounds a year. So you are already limited in who you can pick. Go a step further and realise some blokes are just simply not good enough to deserve a game. In the end you are left with very few blokes to choose from who can be half competitive. A broken Weitering and Cripps are twice as good as whoever their replacements might be.

Q9-We’ve seen some “flashes of brilliance” by a few of the young fellows (e.g.Fisher’s goal) but does that necessarily indicate a champ in the making? I remember a “weave and dodge” from Boekhorst in one of his early games that had us a bit excited, but nothing much has come of that….yet. These guys will develop at different rates. Some won’t meet expectations others will exceed them.
I'm properly more conservative than most when it comes to evaluating talent. Most people see those examples and write them in for a 10 year career. Reality shows us that even if that trend continues upwards, they might get injured or want out. I'm not sold on any of them yet. Look at Yarran as a classic example.

Q10-Can we hold the group together? Players like Cripps and Weitering, should they continue their development, will attract decent offers down the track. Will we be at a stage where some of the burden has been shouldered by others and they’re happy to stay?
The club has put a lot of faith in them, signing them up to long term deals. You can't predict the future, but the club has done well to give us the best chance of keeping them in Navy Blue.

Reply #29
Not playing Palmer and Smedts every week is almost beyond a joke. Both come from successful clubs. both older, experienced and hard bodied....

Palmer played in a PF last year FFS.

I think Bolts gets too caught up in his own BS to be honest - and let's be frank there is a lot of BS/spin in his mantra.
Finals, then 4 in a row!