Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 60418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #45
Walls is a dinosaur and has no business  being there. We as sacked him 30 years ago FFS.

Yes, sacked after a GF (86), a flag (87), and a 3rd placing (88). LOL. If only...........

Reply #46
Walls is a dinosaur and has no business  being there. We as sacked him 30 years ago FFS.

Brilliant player and though he was the beneficiary of form fours in 86, still a damned good coach.  Can't believe that comment to be honest.  Agree with Paul 100%.  

Reply #47
To be fair though, he hasn't been in the AFL/VFL system for decades. If you get a chance, watch the Open Mike with him on Youtube. Very honest, candid, and doesn't make excuses.

Reply #48
Are you basing this on the latest presser, after the Swans game ? If so, what I heard was very different to what you write.

Paul..he went the same innerdrive, belief, intensity, driven dribble then said the players will/want to train better on Tuesday and Thursday and will be steely
in their resolve to get a result.
Might sound crazy but shouldnt that be the case every week win lose or draw...I'm cliched out....

Reply #49
Paul..he went the same innerdrive, belief, intensity, driven dribble then said the players will/want to train better on Tuesday and Thursday and will be steely
Might sound crazy but shouldnt that be the case every week win lose or draw...I'm cliched out....

Wow, I heard a lot more than that.

Reply #50
That's rubbish.  There are many examples on elite sport where sacking the coach gets an immediate result, and along term one at that.  The key is picking a good replacement.  Bolton is a goose and should go right now.

In fact, Thry is on the money.  Letting Bolton go would be a disaster and would set us back to where we were when Malthouse was sacked.

We have played three teams that will probably make the 8 and we were competitive.  No-one tipped us to win and we were at long odds.  If anything, the astute observers are impressed with how much we’ve improved so far this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51

EB....will you give the press conference thing a rest.

Some were as pleased as they have ever been with that particular press conference. You seem to think its worse than shooting bambi!

It means SFA in the scheme of things.

He's simply talking because the reporters need to hear something. Yes, some of what he said maybe goes without saying....but despite the assault on your eyes, does it do anyone else any harm?

Reply #52
We have played three teams that will probably make the 8 and we were competitive.  No-one tipped us to win and we were at long odds.  If anything, the astute observers are impressed with how much we’ve improved so far this season.

Yes, correct and many of them are journos, ex players etc who owe us nothing and generally aren’t out to do us any favours.

Reply #53
EB....will you give the press conference thing a rest.

Some were as pleased as they have ever been with that particular press conference. You seem to think its worse than shooting bambi!

It means SFA in the scheme of things.

He's simply talking because the reporters need to hear something. Yes, some of what he said maybe goes without saying....but despite the assault on your eyes, does it do anyone else any harm?

Krud.... I'll give it a rest when Comrade Bolton can stop delivering party line Pravda responses and actually answer the questions.....I did enjoy his unprompted rambling where he discussed an awkward silence sitting with the players who are driven to train well next Tuesday and Thursday...is he serious or just taking the piss?

Reply #54
In fact, Thry is on the money.  Letting Bolton go would be a disaster and would set us back to where we were when Malthouse was sacked.

More of a disaster if the 3 from 35, 0-3 keeps going. We've been doing the honorable loss thing forever. Not good enough anymore, not 4th year in. We haven't improved, we've been pushing top sides hard for 4 years. 2 years ago we won 6 and lost 7 others after leading in the last qtr. Haven't improved one iota from that. Might be a bit better than last year but that was never going to be hard. Issue is now we have a decent enough team to do better and we're not.

Doubt he's losing his job midyear, unless we're 1-10 maybe, but he won't see next year. Should be looking top 10 4th year in.

Reply #55
More of a disaster if the 3 from 35, 0-3 keeps going. We've been doing the honorable loss thing forever. Not good enough anymore, not 4th year in. We haven't improved, we've been pushing top sides hard for 4 years. 2 years ago we won 6 and lost 7 others after leading in the last qtr. Haven't improved one iota from that. Might be a bit better than last year but that was never going to be hard. Issue is now we have a decent enough team to do better and we're not.

Doubt he's losing his job midyear, unless we're 1-10 maybe, but he won't see next year. Should be looking top 10 4th year in.

I thought Saturday's effort was one of the best I've seen in recent years, particularly since we are playing depth players (and a couple who are out of their depth) and eight of our 22 have played less than 25 games.  Of course they are going to make mistakes and succumb to pressure and it wouldn't matter if we had Barassi, Clarkson, Roos, and Pagan all in the coach's box. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
I think we have 11 senior coaches listed on the clubs website.

Anyone know how many of them played in premierships?

We all know Bolton hasn’t played AFL so it’s understandable that you would surround him with highly successful ex players that know what it takes to win.

Add to that our senior players that have been very successful in their careers.

Reply #57
I thought Saturday's effort was one of the best I've seen in recent years, particularly since we are playing depth players (and a couple who are out of their depth) and eight of our 22 have played less than 25 games.  Of course they are going to make mistakes and succumb to pressure and it wouldn't matter if we had Barassi, Clarkson, Roos, and Pagan all in the coach's box. 

I agree to a point.

The swans barely have a player in their prime right now. But the most disappointing thing was the predictability of the way we lost.

It was a replay of the last 10 times we lost to them. Lack of effort, lack of closing down exit options. Gifting the midfielders 10m space across the field. When we have the ball they lock everyone down. Nobody has 10cm let alone 10m.

The coach either isn't telling the players the right thing or can't get the players to execute. Either way this loss was an epic failure of the coaching staff.

And I honestly think BB is now running out of chances.

Reply #58

There wouldn't be alot of competion in that regard.

We were $hit during the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. Barely looked like troubling the scorers until those 2 late 3rd qtr goals. Swans are a shadow of themselves. We lost a winnable game. No more excitement with honorable losses to average teams. Right now these are games we should be winning at home.

Reply #59
I think we have 11 senior coaches listed on the clubs website.

Anyone know how many of them played in premierships?

We all know Bolton hasn’t played AFL so it’s understandable that you would surround him with highly successful ex players that know what it takes to win.

Add to that our senior players that have been very successful in their careers.

You should check out the Lions coaching group. No AFL/VFL flags that I can see. They have 10 coaches, and the only names I recognise are Mitch Hahn, Fagan, Ben Hudson and Jed Adcock. Their senior coach has played no AFL/VFL footy, comes from Tassie, spent a long time at the Hawks, and is a qualified teacher. Now why does that sound familiar ?

Bolton isn't the problem. He may end up being the sacrificial lamb, but that's fairly standard.