Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 62315 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #105
GWS had the highest number of former first round draft picks on their list ever - but they were all 18-20. Then a smattering of older hands in the 28+ bracket.

Carlton now has the most former first round draft picks on any list ever - excluding that GWS list.

There is no exact like for like but GWS was the most similar to where we're at now I reckon. Their problem has been keeping the list together with the go home factor and a ridiculous injury plague. If it weren't for that I think they'd have won a premiership - probably 2 - by now.

Add the best of Adams, Treloar, Shiel, Scully, Boyd, Bruce, Marchbank, etc. back into that team and they'd be absolutely dominant.

Are not some of our former 1st Rnd picks GWS discards, or in other words the GWS Palace building remnants?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
GWS would have won a flag with Clarkson coaching.......Clarko would have toughened them up and given them a more killer instinct, they dont have enough mongrel in the team.
Mumford back makes them so much better.

Hard to argue with that.

Although a fit again Jeremy Cameron is a pretty handy addition this year.

Reply #107
Hard to argue with that.

Although a fit again Jeremy Cameron is a pretty handy addition this year.

Cameron is a gun player and probably works better without Patton IMO.....Finlayson who I know you were keen on, Himmelberg and Greene probably are
a better support crew who can work with Cameron as the main man.

Reply #108

Krud.... I'll give it a rest when Comrade Bolton can stop delivering party line Pravda responses and actually answer the questions.....I did enjoy his unprompted rambling where he discussed an awkward silence sitting with the players who are driven to train well next Tuesday and Thursday...is he serious or just taking the piss?

Paul beat me to it, but...

Reply #109
Is Clarkson responsible for the success of his subordinates, or are they responsible for Clarkson's success?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
You are either a good kick or not when you are a kid and that doesnt change....Pendlebury was a good kick from day 1, Williamson is a good kick...age, games has nothing to do with it...
Dow was a average kick at TAC level and nothing has changed...on the run he is 50/50 to hit a target, Walsh kicking short is ok but his balldrop means when he kicks in a hurry he can mistime them.
Weitering is a good kick who lost his mojo but has regained it and his kicking is back ok again..
Chris Judd wasnt an accomplished user by foot either and got worse as he got older, thats all ok if you have enough good kicking players in the team to compensate...at the moment SPS is probably our most reliable kick from our midfield group. Setterfield is another who needs to improve his kicking....Murphy can be unreliable as can Simpson. Cripps also uneliable.....
Obrien is meant to be a good kick but doesnt get enough ball to impact.
Fisher is normally good but of late has been under more pressure...Newman looks a good kick but went at 50% vs the Swans...

You will not kick enough goals if the majority of your major ballwinners cant hit targets in the big moments of the game.....

I don't disagree, but there is such a thing as composure.  A lack of it, will see even the best user by foot stuff up the kick, and I am seeing a young and inexperienced team not all that comfortable being uncomfortable to coin a phrase.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
Is Clarkson responsible for the success of his subordinates, or are they responsible for Clarkson's success?

Many, many.... many subordinates continue to come and go at the Hawks - success is pretty consistent.... unfortunately.

Reply #113
He was available for a bag of potato chips last trade period... price heading north at the minute.

True...I guess its all about opportunity.....Patton out injured, Lobb traded and he gets his chance down forward
and finds his niche. Maybe Paddy Kerr can do same if he gets an opportunity with Charlie and McGovern out?

Reply #115
True...I guess its all about opportunity.....Patton out injured, Lobb traded and he gets his chance down forward
and finds his niche. Maybe Paddy Kerr can do same if he gets an opportunity with Charlie and McGovern out?

Let's hope so. The thing Findlayson has is he's a phenomenal kick.
Not exactly our strong suit.

Reply #116
Give it a rest Krud...dont know why you are so hung up on Boltons presser's ;)

That quote from Marc McGowan was basically a complaint that Bolton was making it hard for him to write a story because he wasn't answering the questions in the way McGowan wanted. Honestly - who could care less.

Reply #117
Give it a rest Krud...dont know why you are so hung up on Boltons presser's ;)

You are the only one who has something negative to say about it, and are trying to use it to oust him from the club.

Just pointing out how out of whack your take and/or timing on the whole issue is.

Reply #118
That quote from Marc McGowan was basically a complaint that Bolton was making it hard for him to write a story because he wasn't answering the questions in the way McGowan wanted. Honestly - who could care less.

That may be true, but I'm not a journo, and the difference between the last 3 seasons and now is very palpable in his interviews. He actually discusses the same things as the other coaches, and sounds like a real AFL coach, and opposed to the whole life coach thing we had to endure previously. I don't believe it's because "he's improved as a media performer". I think it's because he's now coaching for wins, and not just marking time.

Reply #119
You are the only one who has something negative to say about it, and are trying to use it to oust him from the club.

Just pointing out how out of whack your take and/or timing on the whole issue is.

Oust him from the club????...can you show me the text where I said that?
My mine grip with Bolton is that he is tactically clueless and allows opposition star players to run around unmanned....thats why he should be ousted, not because he is a serial robotic cliche churner....
3 wins from 35 games isnt it...how about I time it when its 6 from 70.......
You like his pressers and I dont ...get over it....