Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9595 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

A Saturday Night game at the MCG on April 17th against Port.
We haven't won a lot of games like this in recent times, especially against Port. It will be a big test, but at least Williams should be back,
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #1
If we play like this next week, we're toast.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I think we'll play a lot better. Won't guarantee we'll win though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Pretty sure I am close to never wanting to see Setterfield play for us again. People who crap can Murph saying he doesn't like a contest should watch the 43 run around.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Pretty sure I am close to never wanting to see Setterfield play for us again. People who crap can Murph saying he doesn't like a contest should watch the 43 run around around.

Agree. Setters was totally insipid.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Agree. Setters was totally insipid.
Kennedy should have been playing ahead of him all year. Its what he doesn't do that's most dissappointing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Pretty sure I am close to never wanting to see Setterfield play for us again. People who crap can Murph saying he doesn't like a contest should watch the 43 run around around.
Setters wasn't impressive. He managed to get the ball reasonably well, but he turned over the ball far too often. He needs to go back and get thing right, because we cannot afford 2nd class efforts.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Was concerned when Setterfield was selected on Thursday night.   WTF is he an automatic selection?    Must be dropped after tonight.   Weren't Dow,  Setterfield and LoB all acquired in the same year?   If so that's close to a year's recruiting wiped out.

Pleased to see Cottrell and Kennedy get a run,  pity JSOS hurt again, we need his commitment.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
100% spot on.  Never once seen this bloke show any real desire or urgency. Rarely gets called out on his sub par efforts. if we are serious and really want to be a finals team and compete seriously with the top teams blokes like setterfield Dow and lob will not be on the list come seasons end.

Reply #9
100% spot on.  Never once seen this bloke show any real desire or urgency. Rarely gets called out on his sub par efforts. if we are serious and really want to be a finals team and compete seriously with the top teams blokes like setterfield Dow and lob will not be on the list come seasons end.

Unfortunately we really need Dow, a top 3 pick, to make it and I think he’s still got the talent and desire to make it. I’d persevere. Same for a Cunningham.

However, I agree on Setters and Lob, over both.

Reply #10
With a fit list (if we ever get anything like one or close enough to it) there is zero room for setterfield or dow.

The bl00dy team just confounds me sometimes.  But Cottrell is a definite keeper, thought his desperation and coverage was great.  Betts, despite the doubters, really shone as well.

Reply #11
I thought setters went into the centre in the 3/4 and did alright for periods.

Anyway im not wedded to these guys, but I think we need to give them a modicum of patience.  Last year was disruptive enough but Dow and setters have both had some massive injuries that might be knocking their confidence about a bit.  O brien is the frustrating one who doesn't play outside well enough to warrant the lack of balance to his game. 

Dow had a chance to shoot for goal in the last and passed it off to Newnes which I think tells a story.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12

Dow had a chance to shoot for goal in the last and passed it off to Newnes which I think tells a story.
It told me that he knew he couldn't kick the distance so he gave it to a longer and better kick.

Reply #13
Unfortunately we really need Dow, a top 3 pick, to make it and I think he’s still got the talent and desire to make it. I’d persevere. Same for a Cunningham.

However, I agree on Setters and Lob, over both.

No one is saying don't persevere but he can play in the 2s until his form warrants elevation....

That should be the rule for 95% of the players.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
No one is saying don't persevere but he can play in the 2s until his form warrants elevation....

That should be the rule for 95% of the players.....

Understood, however I’m saying that we should persevere with him in the AFL. I think he’s close to a breakout game and is just getting stuck running to the wrong spots more often than not, which may be a result of not having much time on the ball over the past couple of years. Pretty sure that Dow will come good.

SPS is a good example of perseverance - he has been roundly criticised on this site for a lack of defensive ability/losing his forward (including by me) however he’s turned it around and is now playing a much stronger contested and assured brand of footy. Couldn’t be happier for him.

The difference between SPS/Dow and Setterfield is that the former two give their all and I can’t say the same at the moment for Setters, and a lack of effort should not be tolerated.