Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9864 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #45
If you can't work it out, isn't that a problem in itself?
Not really as I'm not a coach or present in their team meetings.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
No being a smart ass here, but what is that role? That is, how do we know what role the coaches are asking him to play? If he keeps getting picked, he may be meeting those requirements. Just saying.
Some were critizing setterfield last year when his numbers dropped. People didn't realise he was tagging and/or playing as a back pocket.
But he was doing his job.

It's like people complaining about parks' output. His role is not to get 20 touches but to stop his opponent getting the ball..... but it's easy to see him performing his role as he starts in the backline

Reply #47
Dow seems to be very much an apprentice/understudy mid and is probably 3rd or 4th banana as an inside mid from what I can tell atm. Hopefully he is learning and will improve this year.
Other than freaks like Walsh, not many newbies go straight into the midfield and have immediate effect.  We have to think in the  long term as much as short, and it's not like there are too many alternatives lining up at the door.  And we don't really know exactly what the coach is expecting of him - if he is using him more for a negative role to improve the defensive side of his game, for example.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #48
Port by 4 goals.

Reply #49
For whatever reason, I am more confident this week than last week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
You could make an argument for it...
We should come ready to play...
I'm looking forward to the game because it's  probably  the best indicator we've  seen this year as to where we actually fit in the scheme of things

Reply #52
Are you drunk?
I have some confidence as we seem to play to the standard of the opposition whether we win or lose. Hidings we just don't cop these days no matter who we play. We are always in games. We are a tough game for every top side.

Sometimes playing to the standard of low clubs see some odd face palming losses. Hence with Carlton, playing lower clubs makes me more nervous...haha.

Reply #53
Weitering and Jones have been in ripping form recently, so hopefully they can keep Dixon on a leash. Their small forwards (Rozee, Fantasia, Gray) will be bigger challenges IMO. I read that the first two are likely starters, despite minor injury concerns. 

I'm not too confident in the midfield. You don't want to see good players out of the game, but one good thing for us that Powell Pepper is unlikely to be available.  If Lycett and Ladhams work together they will give Pittonet a right royal going over. The 2nd ruck will be irrelevant. 

My 2 cents.

Reply #54
We seem to be choosing a side out of the blokes most not injured these days.

We can be stoic, and so long as we compete well im happy but that equation doesn't result in knocking off teams looking like they'll finish top 4 unless they too have an off night.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
I have some confidence as we seem to play to the standard of the opposition whether we win or lose. Hidings we just don't cop these days no matter who we play. We are always in games. We are a tough game for every top side.

Sometimes playing to the standard of low clubs see some odd face palming losses. Hence with Carlton, playing lower clubs makes me more nervous...haha.
Sure, you can play to a higher standard.....still gotta win though.

We play to a higher standard when we play the tigers....when was the last time we won though?

Port are a little different, being in Melbourne is a start....being at the MCG is a bonus.
But....this is a team that just beat the Tigers....and flogged North and the bombers. Only loss was against the Eagles over there....which is no shame.
Port are tougher than people think. They did finish on top of the ladder last year.

Reply #56

We can be stoic, and so long as we compete well im happy but that equation doesn't result in knocking off teams looking like they'll finish top 4 unless they too have an off night.
Exactly why i was so 'negative' going into the tigers game and somewhat similar now.

Coming up against a good side, in good form...and us with half a list to choose from. Where are people getting this confidence from? We've had a couple of good games against 2 teams who currently sit with North in the bottom 3 of the ladder.

Reply #57
Are you drunk?
We play better against top opposition. Who gave us a chance at KP v Geel last year? If not for some lapses of concentration, we were in it up to our ears v Rich in rnd 1.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #58

Port may well think they just need to turn up, collect 4 pts and go home. I really hope that's the case and we can use that to our advantage. Smug Kents like Rozee symbolise PA, he/they need to be taught a lesson. We have shown that when we bring it, we can beat anyone. Our problem is we don't bring it often enough, so that's the challenge. Its at the G, not the basketball stadium so that's a start. It should be dry Sat night so weather shouldn't be a factor, although wind might be. Here's hoping.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
Wanna see the side first ... we're a "maybe" but it's 58/42 their way atm.  Yes, I'm particular