Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps Backs JSOS (Read 14092 times) previous topic - next topic

Cripps Backs JSOS

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1071191/carlton-skipper-patrick-cripps-backs-son-of-a-gun-jack-silvagnis-role-in-blues-flag-pursuit

"I think his role's really important," Cripps told reporters on Monday.

"He plays that hybrid forward; he can play tall and play small with his pressure. His biggest one-wood is the competitive energy he has.

"(There's) that second ruck role that he can play as well as an undersized player with a bit more mobility around the ground.

"It's all up to the coaching staff in terms of if we play two rucks or go the hybrid role, but you know what you're going to get when SOS (Silvagni) plays.

"The boys love playing with him."

One of the problems (a good one we have) is how we set up our forward line next year.
No doubt there will be a element of 'horses for courses'.
It will be interesting to see how they use Jack next season and how many games he plays.
He'd be in my team simply because of his versatility, but he does face some competition.

Re: Cripps Backs JSOS

Reply #1
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1071191/carlton-skipper-patrick-cripps-backs-son-of-a-gun-jack-silvagnis-role-in-blues-flag-pursuit

One of the problems (a good one we have) is how we set up our forward line next year.
No doubt there will be a element of 'horses for courses'.
It will be interesting to see how they use Jack next season and how many games he plays.
He'd be in my team simply because of his versatility, but he does face some competition.
Nice of the captain to back him in and as I have said he would be in my best 22 but unfortunately I dont see the coach and MC feeling the same and " being a Jack of all trades" might work against him with a fully fit list.

Reply #2
If he plays like he did just before he was injured, he'll have no problems.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Luckily for many in the AFL no club ever has a fully fit list, and all that you can do is be ready and cherry ripe when you get your chance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
The old saying, almost always misquoted (or paraphrased) sums up my thoughts on Jack and his 'competition' for spots.

Jack of all trades master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one

Reply #5
I don't see him having a role in the seniors unless there are a significant amount of injuries.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
I don't see him having a role in the seniors unless there are a significant amount of injuries.
"significant" nah

24-27th player in the squad. He is way above average with continuity in preferred position.

Reply #7
The competitiveness he plays with is intangible IMHO.

Jack is the sort of player that you need in your team to win matches.  I wonder whether or not the Prelim would have gone differently with him being fit to play.

There was a bloke from Hawthorn who was similar.  Played the game of his life in a grand final, then retired at age 26.  Suspect it was Will Langford but the memory works infrequently lately.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
I wonder whether or not the Prelim would have gone differently with him being fit to play.
I suspect a fit SoJ makes a difference in some close games earlier in the season, and as such our path through finals might have been quite different. But in fairness we can probably state as much about several other players.

Agree on the intangibles, a fit and firing SoJ lifts the fan base, and that fan base then lifts the team.

But we need our Bluebagger fan base to learn from the Filthbase, and the closer games get the louder we must become, no shrinking into our seats like the Prelim. We influence players and umpires, if you want the rub of the green get loud!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Agree on the intangibles, a fit and firing SoJ lifts the fan base, and that fan base then lifts the team.

I was just thinking this morning... What does Jack perhaps offer that may be a bit different than just his ability to play multiple roles?
I had exactly the same thought.
Fans love Silvagni.
When he's up and firing and does something special they get a lift.
Their reponse then can have a positive effect through the whole team.
It's not directly measurable and may only be a minor influence on results....but it's there.
And yes...It's not something that's limited to Jack.
We have a few players like that, and it's usually the ones who show a 110% effort and attitude.