Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54746 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #105
Watched the game (you'll be pleased to know it was with lots of fellow baggers). Here's my 2 cents worth FWIW.

Standouts
- Daisy was dangerous up forward
- Byrne oozes confidence and self- belief, can run and carry, isn't scared of anything (blood rule x 3 in past 2 games)
- Murphy led by example, head over the ball, got belted up, and just kept running. Kicked a captain's goal
- Simmo was clean and his usual courageous and instructive
- Rowe, yes Rowe was a general. He instructed his defenders and beat the Pav repeatedly. If he could mark a few of the spoils, he'd give his forwards a headache
- Crippa is a champion who believes in his teammates (50:50 results - this will improve as the list improves)
- Weitering has so much time.... If you want to see him out of Mr Composed mode - win the game, his celebration was priceless - he couldn't stop grinning
- Ex-Crows add so much grunt to our game. 2-3rd efforts get the tick
- Lamb seemed to be everywhere, albeit at times without polish (I don't think we're a polished type side just yet)

Somewhere in between
The Jones boy - totally seemed to mis read play at times, meaning he'd be too pooped for 2nds. Liam Jones - take a bow son. When you needed to mark and slot it - you did just that. You've earned another game.

Serviceable
- Gibbs, although he missed a very gettable set shot, he linked nicely and kicked true when the heat was on. He needs to develop this consistently. Looked to be giving plenty of advice to young fellas
- Curnow's are unstoppable runners. I think Charlie's work off the ball, and even in defence ran his defender ragged.
- Buckley had a crack and looked to improve defensively
- GWS. The Plow played his role and showed a few tricks - he's going to be such an upgrade in our defense. Sumner's defensive pressure and energy impressed
- Casboult works really hard around the ground but still hasn't nailed his kicking. His contribution up field might be a worry for some teams
- Rucks tapped well but not much more
- Doc was courageous but uncharacteristically (or characteristic of the game) fumbly, especially early on
- 2e, not his best game

In all, can't fault the effort and perseverance. As we know, skills leave a lot to be desired, especially set shots. Several players missed gettable shots.
I saw some structure, leadership and teamwork as though the new plan is starting to stick.

Blue baggers we might not see many wins this year. So enjoy your celebrations.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #106
Has anyone watched Lyon's presser ? Am I the only one who thinks it's a drunken, incoherent, meandering thing ?

I like to watch Lyons presser most weeks when they lose.....he talks rubbish, quotes stats and never says anything thats coherent..
its a lot of piss taking stuff and he often asks the press boys what they think then bags them out when they answer...did cut up rough
tonight at the end though...
You watch him in the coaches box too, he says he is democratic and invites input but his assistants seem too scared to comment...

Reply #107
Should've beaten Richmond: Murphy plays well.

Beat Freo: Murphy plays well.

Generally poo in between the above mentioned games: Murphy is either injured or didn't play well.

Might be something in that.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #108
I like to watch Lyons presser most weeks when they lose.....he talks rubbish, quotes stats and never says anything thats coherent..
its a lot of piss taking stuff and he often asks the press boys what they think then bags them out when they answer...did cut up rough
tonight at the end though...
You watch him in the coaches box too, he says he is democratic and invites input but his assistants seem too scared to comment...

Thanks Elwood.

Yes, if this is the way he instructs and coaches the players, it's little wonder they're falling away so sharply.

Reply #109
How good is it waking the morning after a win. Ugly win but nonetheless a win and another step in the right direction. They maintained the pressure on Freo for 4 qtrs which is the most pleasing thing for me.
Go Blues.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #110
As a spectacle, it was a football version of Apocalypse Now. Oh, the horror, the horror.

But still, my take away was how tenacious the new kids were. Best tackling I've seen from us in a long time.

Did anyone else notice how absolutely LIVID Bolts was when Freo got that easy goal out of the centre with 5 mins to go?!?

Mark my words, this guy has mongrel in him and HATES losing.

To those lambasting Levi for not handballing over the top to Buckley - the poor guy simply can't handball. I've noticed a few times now he just doesn't understand the mechanics of holding the ball with one hand and punching it with the other. Watch him. It's sad but true.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #111
To those lambasting Levi for not handballing over the top to Buckley - the poor guy simply can't handball. I've noticed a few times now he just doesn't understand the mechanics of holding the ball with one hand and punching it with the other. Watch him. It's sad but true.

Can't handball and can't kick, what sort of a footballer does that make him?
Levi actually played well yesterday, it was one of the best games I've seen from him, but we need to get used to the fact that there are serious flaws in his game and that those flaws will always be there.
Still, for a speculative pick in the rookie draft he's done very well for himself and all credit to him.
It was a shocking game, riddled with mistakes from both sides, but Freo's mistakes came at very costly times.
The goal that Thomas kicked late should never have been a goal, not only was the free kick he received extremely doubtful but the ball went through the goals no more than shoulder high after Freo had been given a minute or so to set up, it was schoolboy stuff.
As for the bloke trying to take a chest mark on the goal line when all he needed to do was protect the ball, you wonder how someone with so little awareness is playing at senior level, but we'll take it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #112
Can't handball and can't kick, what sort of a footballer does that make him?
Levi actually played well yesterday, it was one of the best games I've seen from him, but we need to get used to the fact that there are serious flaws in his game and that those flaws will always be there.
Still, for a speculative pick in the rookie draft he's done very well for himself and all credit to him.
It was a shocking game, riddled with mistakes from both sides, but Freo's mistakes came at very costly times.
The goal that Thomas kicked late should never have been a goal, not only was the free kick he received extremely doubtful but the ball went through the goals no more than shoulder high after Freo had been given a minute or so to set up, it was schoolboy stuff.
As for the bloke trying to take a chest mark on the goal line when all he needed to do was protect the ball, you wonder how someone with so little awareness is playing at senior level, but we'll take it.
I agree re the errors by Freo but its swings and round-a-bouts B4L. How many times have we handed wins over as a result of silly errors and brain fades? Yesterday we benefited for a change, I'll take that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #113
Well i got it wrong. Couldn't see us getting close pre game. Predicated a 10 goal loss  :o ;D

So rapt with the effort and considering we have 8 players in their first season with us, great signs they have settled in so quickly.

Wasn't pretty but Lyon used their old proven defensive game plan but didn't work this time.

It's early I know but all indications are Bolton is the right man and considering the turnover of players and how early we have them all in the one team in surprised we are as competitive as we are.

Bryne plowman doc and that 'veteran' Weitering have instantly transformed a shaky defence into a free running and capable defense.

Well done blues - proud supporter.

Reply #114
Well i got it wrong. Couldn't see us getting close pre game. Predicated a 10 goal loss  :o ;D

It was YOU who said that. Couldn't remember.

Was never going to be 10 goal loss because Freo were always going to struggle to kick 10 goals!

Had it have been against somebody else, maybe.

Considering how much trouble we have in scoring, Freo was the perfect side for us to play as so do they.

Reply #115
Bryne plowman doc and that 'veteran' Weitering have instantly transformed a shaky defence into a free running and capable defense.

Don't forget Zach and Simmo.
Zach goes well most weeks, Simmo can be up and down but when he's up we're a much better side, and he was up yesterday.
A word about Phillips as well, he didn't have a big influence overall but his last quarter was excellent, a fantastic spoil 30 metres from Freo's goal showing no regard for his personal safety and a couple of centre clearances when the heat was right on.
A few more kilos and a few more games and we might have a good one to give Kreuzer a chop out.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #116
Can't fault the players never-say-die attitude, you can't fault their effort, you can't fault their pressure, but really, last night was inept v more inept. Any half decent team would've cut us and Freo to pieces last night.

The ugliest 4 points in history.

Reply #117
Happy to see Bolton and the new boys get their first win,

but like most Blues vs Freo games in recent times it was a horrible game to watch.

Reply #118
Considering how much trouble we have in scoring, Freo was the perfect side for us to play as so do they.

Scores against Freo this year

Carlton 72
North Melbourne 132
West Coast 92
Gold Coast 126
Western Bulldogs 103

Reply #119
It was YOU who said that. Couldn't remember.

Was never going to be 10 goal loss because Freo were always going to struggle to kick 10 goals!

Had it have been against somebody else, maybe.

Yes Kruddler it was me :-[

I watched them play north last week and they pushed them hard for 3 quarters and off memory kicked a reasonable score. So facing a winless dockers outfit, playing on their turf I couldn't see us getting close.

I mean let's not forget they finished top last year while we took the spoon.

Anyhow I'm bloody rapt we took the points regardless of how ugly it was. Still a very good scalp IMO.