Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS (Read 15060 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
My thoughts are Crippa needs support.. its just Gibbs and Cripps in the middle and they need to both play at elite level every week so we can be competitive the rotation through the middle are average or sub standard. Curnow does a good honest job every week but...

Kerridge, Sumner, Lamb rotating through the middle probably not good enough quality to give Gibbs and Cripps a chop out

Agree. The real quality is spread too thinly and it loses its effectiveness. We need a couple more high quality mids at least and it didn't help that Murph was out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
I thought Sumner, Kerridge and Lamb looked pretty good yesterday against what is generally the heaviest opposition they are likely to encounter for many years to come. Give them the time to improve their ball use or decision making and you will see things improve dramatically. I liked the pace that Sumner and Lamb added, our lack of pace from the likes of Gibbs and Cripps really showed against GWS.

Gibbs doubters best shut up now.

Philips was a bit disappointing, Mumford really smashed him and Kreuzer, there is no doubt in my mind Kreuzer is still carrying an injury.

I have no idea why our talls still struggle to clunk marks, Kreuzer, Philips, Everitt and Casboult all had clear first hands to the ball inside F50 a number of times but put down 80% of the opportunities.

The game made our defence look ordinary, but the problem is again midfield defensive run, GWS just strolled away from our guys. It's no accident we are suffering in Murphy's absence, not only does he give us run but he maintains structure. When the likes of E.Curnow, Kerridge, Cripps and Gibbs lose structure they do not have the pace to bridge the gaps.

I thought both Irishmen were OK today, but they were let down by team-mates not making space or offering. Again this was a structural issue, too many times we had two or three around the ball and nobody in place to receive. Cripps could not keep up with play last night, or was being managed, perhaps he is injured.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I've liked Lamb and Sumner this year. Lamb has been great in the small forward type role. Sumner's pace is something we need as we seem to lack players with genuine pace.
I thought Kerridge was a bit off last night, ball use was poor at times, but in general he has been pretty good this year.

Reply #33
My thoughts are Crippa needs support.. its just Gibbs and Cripps in the middle and they need to both play at elite level every week so we can be competitive the rotation through the middle are average or sub standard. Curnow does a good honest job every week but...

Kerridge, Sumner, Lamb rotating through the middle probably not good enough quality to give Gibbs and Cripps a chop out

I do agree we are very light on for midfield depth but my point is relating to his general leg speed away from a contest and having greater depth is not the answer IMO. That part of his game is well below last year levels and seems to just jog around when ball is in the open instead of sprinting to make space or link up with team mates.

That's why he was so damaging last year - he had the balance of inside grunt combined with clean damaging disposals away from the contest. Injuring his knee in a pre season game and considering its sill strapped is a possible reason.

Reply #34
Need speed around the stoppages. Right now our plan is Cripps and er ......

Cripps shortcomings are easy to highlight but they are accentuated when he's the focus. You needs options, fast options to help out.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #35
For me, in summary, the game was yet another clear demonstration of us having to play right out of our skins to keep in touch with a top side which has quality and effective running players. It was even shown up against the more lowly Saints. It showed up most yesterday at the end of each of each of the first 3 Qs and for most of the last. We just can't maintain the required level of effort and we eventually get run over.

That's what needs to be worked on. Some of the answer will lie in improving our existing players, some of whom undoubtedly show promise, the rest will involve bringing in better quality talent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36

Cripps shortcomings are easy to highlight but they are accentuated when he's the focus. You needs options, fast options to help out.

We missed Army, and could use Boeky.
Buckley is probably the next best thing...which with his disposal is a bit of a worry

Reply #37
Not much that surprised, game went as expected.

Midfield depth and pace around there is a real worry, and is priority in my opinion. That doesn't mean throwing pacy players around the fringes who need it dished out to them. It's more about players who win their own and can move quickly away. Docherty is a classic example hit can hit the ball at pace win it and move quickly. I would love him in the midfield but love him where is now as well.

Kerridge is another who is a good athlete does a lot of things well enough but is a bottom 6 player and not someone who I think very highly of. Wright at the moment has been the better pick up from the Crows. Just looking forward to seeing Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and Jacksh from here on in.

Symbolically though that performance was Gibbs' career in a nutshell on his 200th.

Reply #38
re: Cripps....is the new Judd.....where we rely on him too much and he is getting banged up and sat on by opposing teams, losing Murphy has meant losing some structure and other teams get to concentrate on Cripps more...
Kerridge is a good B grader but wont take the load off a player like Cripps, its essential we recruit a couple of big bodied mids who can be trained up to help Cripps and allow him some time out of the middle and rest a bit more up forward so he can also expand his game and become a regular goalkicker.
My greatest fear is we will overload Cripps and he will either break down with injury or not develop to his fullest potential...

Reply #39
What did people think of the Fox coverage?
I thought the commentary was piss weak and appalling and the lack of frequent replays was amazing.
And people pay for that type of service? Glad I don't pay for Fox.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #40

Fast options sadly lacking on our list...nothing in the seconds as we saw yesterday, nothing :(

Reply #41
What did people think of the Fox coverage?
I thought the commentary was piss weak and appalling and the lack of frequent replays was amazing.
And people pay for that type of service? Glad I don't pay for Fox.

I was surprised they didn't replay a few goals that our players claimed were touched that the umpires for whatever reason didn't go upstairs for. It was like they didn't want to know about it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
None of the contentious decisions seemed to be replayed at the ground either.

Reply #43
None of the contentious decisions seemed to be replayed at the ground either.

Probably didn't have enough time  ;)

We were on the wrong end of some shockers, not that it made any difference to the result.

Perhaps the score review technology was not operating or not installed  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
I was surprised they didn't replay a few goals that our players claimed were touched that the umpires for whatever reason didn't go upstairs for. It was like they didn't want to know about it.

I was under the impression that 'every' goal gets reviewed as the ball is returned to the centre.