Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS (Read 15056 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
After watching that, I'm sure Gill and the crew are plenty happy with their contrived, manipulated, conflicted,and ridiculously over advantaged at the expense of all other clubs, GWS outfit that no one could really give a Flying F..k about, sitting pretty in the top 3.
WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW....!!!!!

Reply #16
I thought Kerridge's disposals had been scrappy, whilst Wright's were cleaner. To my surprise, Kerridge is amongst our highest for "effective disposals" to date. Go figure, guess you see what you see and miss what you miss ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
After watching that, I'm sure Gill and the crew are plenty happy with their contrived, manipulated, conflicted,and ridiculously over advantaged at the expense of all other clubs, GWS outfit that no one could really give a Flying F..k about, sitting pretty in the top 3.
WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW....!!!!!

Yep I agree totally.

The have a list that is impossible to build without getting the bucket load of hand outs they got.

And regardless they are a team in a city that no one cares about Afl and never will. The have a massive chance to go all the way this year and play bloody exciting footy yet the stands are empty.

I reckon we had as much support in the stands today then they did.

Give that list another few years and they will be unstoppable. Joke.

Reply #18
I thought Kerridge's disposals had been scrappy, whilst Wright's were cleaner. To my surprise, Kerridge is amongst our highest for "effective disposals" to date. Go figure, guess you see what you see and miss what you miss ;)

Guess so LN. I would summarise Kerridge as a hard working but untidy footballer - I don't enjoy watching him, he frustrates me.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
I'm more on the dissapointed side - we looked like a team who never thought they could win. Margin was probably about right given how dominant they were in the 1st half... but to be within 2 goals in the 3rd and loose by 10...

Reply #20
That spring in the step, and that vibe the boys had in their recent string of victories, just wasn't there last night. It was almost back to the old days, but not quite.

A few random points :

- Daisy was barely servicebale, but I've given up on him being the injection of high end talent that we'd hoped for, who can produce week in week out.
-Cas is the only mobile marking target we have. I can't imagine how depleted we would be without this asset, whatever other glaring faults he may have. For now, I'm glad we have him.
-White was good.
-Doc continued his very good form
-Gibbs was good.
-Our forward press was penetrated too easily for mine. I lost count of how many times GWS broke through with 2 or 3 of their players alone in the F50.
-I know GWS do this to many other teams, but their breakaways from stoppages and entries into F50 all came way too easily for mine.

Sigh..............

Reply #21
And seriously, how difficult can Leon Cameron's job really be ? They're like wind up toys - just wind them up, and off they go............

Reply #22
Doesn't Dermie love the sound of his own voice. Doesn't shut up and f*cking comments on every contest, and with a massive bias towards the Giants.

Stevie J was the only player on the field at one stage in last quarter. For a good 5 mins he was all they all spoke about.

Sh1t commentry these days - esp when compared to Lou richards Tim lane,  and co.

Reply #23
Doesn't Dermie love the sound of his own voice. Doesn't shut up and f*cking comments on every contest, and with a massive bias towards the Giants.

Stevie J was the only player on the field at one stage in last quarter. For a good 5 mins he was all they all spoke about.

Sh1t commentry these days - esp when compared to Lou richards Tim lane,  and co.

Every week there is a new contender for "worst commentator" - but I agree, Dermie is the absolute pits. Irritating, dopey faux Aussie tough guy drawl, and just makes one dumb comment after another.

Reply #24
That spring in the step, and that vibe the boys had in their recent string of victories, just wasn't there last night. It was almost back to the old days, but not quite.

A few random points :

- Daisy was barely servicebale, but I've given up on him being the injection of high end talent that we'd hoped for, who can produce week in week out.
-Cas is the only mobile marking target we have. I can't imagine how depleted we would be without this asset, whatever other glaring faults he may have. For now, I'm glad we have him.
-White was good.
-Doc continued his very good form
-Gibbs was good.
-Our forward press was penetrated too easily for mine. I lost count of how many times GWS broke through with 2 or 3 of their players alone in the F50.
-I know GWS do this to many other teams, but their breakaways from stoppages and entries into F50 all came way too easily for mine.

Sigh..............

I was at the game, and unlike some others, I think it is a disadvantage in terms of getting a good handle on the goings on... But I thought the exact opposite of Casboult (and all of our forwards). Admittedly I could only watch them closely for half of he game when they were running towards my end. The thing that sticks out for me is the lack of work our forwards do in trying to lead and make space. Casboult would stand dead in the middle of the forward fifty and basically wait until the ball was less than a kick away before moving. He rarely made more than one lead. We often criticise the midfielders for banging it in high to a contest, but our forwards rarely give them a leading option.
Sounds like I am bashing Casboult, but same goes for all of our forwards. It's pretty disgraceful really, but while I am on the topic of working off the ball, same could be said for just about every player on the team. In most of our games it is fairly noticeable that our guys work rate, in offence, and without the ball is pretty poor. We don't get bodies moving nearly enough. It's probably why we are forced to go backwards and try to switch sides so often.
The other bugbear I have is that too often our guys are too slow in releasing the ball once they taken a mark. Often the momentum is stifled and we allow the defence to catch up. Maybe also a symptom of the lack of movement from our players, but often I see it happening when there are options to kick to.

And while Rowe has been really good of late, and even last night I thought he wasn't too bad, on at least 3 occasions, right in front of me, he was drawn out to the 50m mark by his man where he stopped and allowed his man to backtrack towards goal to be an easy kick over Rowe's head. Not the first time Ive noticed it, something he needs to work on.

Reply #25
Thoughts on Cripps this year?

Amazing clearance player but no defensive spread whatsoever and lacks run from a contest and as a result rarely hurts the opposition this year on the outside...seemed better in this area last year.

Maybe his knee is restricting him....coming off a bye I was hoping to see him at least spread and show some outside run but nothing.

Many including me thought he was shaping up as a genuine A grader

but IMO needs massive improvement in this area to get to that level.

Still love watching him in close but.

Reply #26
deags,
I'm always happy to read comments from people at the game, so kudos for that. My comments about Cas were really about his work other than as a forward. But your point is well made, and well taken.

It sounds from your assessment that the TV in this instance wasn't lying - the boys were flat and sluggish. And with few exceptions, our team really lacks leg speed.

Reply #27
Not having a go Paul. I think Casboult's strength is when he moves up the ground, much like Nick Reiwoldt has done more as his career progressed. He seems to do really well when he moves up the ground and presents as a target.

On Cripps... I didnt get to see much of him last night, but in the St Kilda game I thought he was the main offender at centre bounces in allowing his man to get goal side and move the ball forward. I thought that was poor positional play though rather than a lack of effort or anything. His inside efforts though are nothing short of amazing.

Reply #28
no worries deags.

Reply #29
Thoughts on Cripps this year?

Amazing clearance player but no defensive spread whatsoever and lacks run from a contest and as a result rarely hurts the opposition this year on the outside...seemed better in this area last year.

Maybe his knee is restricting him....coming off a bye I was hoping to see him at least spread and show some outside run but nothing.

Many including me thought he was shaping up as a genuine A grader

but IMO needs massive improvement in this area to get to that level.

Still love watching him in close but.

My thoughts are Crippa needs support.. its just Gibbs and Cripps in the middle and they need to both play at elite level every week so we can be competitive the rotation through the middle are average or sub standard. Curnow does a good honest job every week but...

Kerridge, Sumner, Lamb rotating through the middle probably not good enough quality to give Gibbs and Cripps a chop out