Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 34146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
Now we have broke our record every week the pressure will go up exponentially.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
re: Simpson... was tagged by Caleb Daniel, and has been tagged the previous two weeks, No Docherty means Simpson is under the pump from other teams each week.

Daniel out-bodied and defeated Simmo in two marking contests EB1, as much as we love him Simmo is cooked, it's over for him he's played one year too many!

BB complained about panicking at center forward, lacking composure entering F50. Simmo was one of the big offenders in the first half, no matter how much ball he gets or how many contests he makes we cannot afford the experienced heads to be cooking the footy!

The difference last night was that the Dogs had a core group from the 2016 that were the experienced heads, they worked in the hot zone to release the kids on the outside. Other than Daisy, with a little cameo from Wright, we had no experienced heads leading the way, some of the experienced heads were the worst offenders, and it was kids like Fisher working the hot zone to give off the ball to older heads that turned it over!

As much as I love them, from our more experienced types I thought Simmo, Ed, Rowe, Jones, Plowman had very very bad nights. It's a tell when Kerridge is one of the better players, that tells you the level the rest of the team is at!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Daniel out-bodied and defeated Simmo in two marking contests EB1, as much as we love him Simmo is cooked, it's over for him he's played one year too many!

BB complained about panicking at center forward, lacking composure entering F50. Simmo was one of the big offenders in the first half, no matter how much ball he gets or how many contests he makes we cannot afford the experienced heads to be cooking the footy!

The difference last night was that the Dogs had a core group from the 2016 that were the experienced heads, they worked in the hot zone to release the kids on the outside. Other than Daisy, with a little cameo from Wright, we had no experienced heads leading the way, some of the experienced heads were the worst offenders, and it was kids like Fisher working the hot zone to give off the ball to older heads that turned it over!

As much as I love them, from our more experienced types I thought Simmo, Ed, Rowe, Jones, Plowman had very very bad nights. It's tell when Kerridge is one of the better players, that tells yo the level the rest of the team is at!

x2 Nothing to add....

Reply #18
x2 Nothing to add....

I have one thing to add.

I love Carlton, but we have a scatter gun approach at the moment, I'm not sure BB can be blamed for it though! I can't help but feel there is some back-room interference or politics going down, it feels like the bad old Carlton is throwing one last tantrum in resistance to change! It may be that the likes of Simmo have to be move on for the slate to be wiped clean!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19

As much as I love them, from our more experienced types I thought Simmo, Ed, Rowe, Jones, Plowman had very very bad nights. It's a tell when Kerridge is one of the better players, that tells you the level the rest of the team is at!

A week really is a long time in footy for some :o.

Simmo is still probably the heartbeat of our club and still while in his twilight of his career continues to put his small body on the line time and time again for every young player to witness.

We are a team so short of real leaders and experience - makes no sense IMO to lose a player who rarely on our list, ticks all those boxes. 

Scary to imagine what our team would be like at the moment, without the heart of the skinny No 6 out there directing and showing every kid that runs out beside him, what it means to wear the CFC jumper. Still a vitally important player for our list IMO even if he has a quiet game every so often. 

I will be rapt when I agree his time has come but with such an inexperienced list and a team devoid of leaders now is not the time.

Reply #20
Scary to imagine what our team would be like at the moment, without the heart of the skinny No 6 out there directing and showing every kid that runs out beside him, what it means to wear the CFC jumper. Still a vitally important player for our list IMO even if he has a quiet game every so often.

The point is even his big numbers games are now built on poor choices and disposal, it's not his fault he whole career is built on being surrounded by ordinary ball use, poor decision making and panic. He was never a great ball user or decision maker, and things have not gotten better as he has aged. He's no longer finding his own space, he relies on others to free him up.

The longer he stays the longer our pain will persist, as much as we love him, we cannot let his game ways get into the heads of our kids. I think Simmo looks to be in the mindset that if he's dropped he'll pull the pin, if that happens it's a huge tell, the very opposite of Daisy!

One thing I liked last night was Levi having a crack, and having a crack at Daisy for the stupid outside boot passing attempt. That is exactly what Levi needs to bring to the game, some aggression, some leadership, some outrage!

I was a bit shocked to hear Wright say pre-game that Levi calls the F50 shots, maybe that is what he has always needed, I wonder how long it has been going on, I'd say only two or three weeks perhaps, based on observations of his game! If he keeps this up I would even accept him getting a contract extension.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21

Sadly I think this true. He is becoming a liability in the backline with his poor disposal, turns it over more often than not. His endeavour, putting his body on the line and commitment remains elite, perhaps a fwd role would better suit him?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
Fwiw we can't afford to sack Bolton.

Which serious coach who wants an afl career would come to Carlton when you can get sacked in the circumstances Bolton is coaching in.

It's ridiculous.   Had we not done all our trading already we'd have no hope of landing a new coach leaving us with only Barker as our option.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Fwiw we can't afford to sack Bolton.

Which serious coach who wants an afl career would come to Carlton when you can get sacked in the circumstances Bolton is coaching in.

It's ridiculous.   Had we not done all our trading already we'd have no hope of landing a new coach leaving us with only Barker as our option.

Agree. BB is doing what he was hired to do - rebuild the team. He'll presumably be judged by the club as to his performance when the agreed rebuild time frame is completed, and sacked or retained based on that surely? He may have intermediate targets to meet, I don't know. Unless of course the club loses its nerve and pulls the pin early? Can't see that happening atm myself.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Tex may be sidelined. Went off tonight with suspected hamstring injury.

McKay also came off with a leg injury.

That said Sloane and Eddy may return to see our boys.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
Lang must come in.

Reply #26
Tex may be sidelined. Went off tonight with suspected hamstring injury.

McKay also came off with a leg injury.

That said Sloane and Eddy may return to see our boys.

Funny, we'd be close to favourites with Tex (and Crouch brothers) out and Eddie in a Blues' jumper...

What a F... up that was.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
Lang must come in.
After one game back from injury?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Lang must come in.

So we push him up after one game with managed time on the field, he plays an ordinary game because he’s still trying to find the pace at VFL level let alone AFL, and we all start calling him a dud, spud, underdone, useless etc.  Let him build up match fitness in the 2s to give him a chance to succeed.