Skip to main content
Topic: Goldfish (Read 4407 times) previous topic - next topic

Goldfish

Ok. So this is probably not an idea forum to be asking stuff like this but........ Are there any goldfish enthusiasts out here?? I have a large outdoor pond with 16 goldies and am slowly loosing them to disease (most namely tail rot). Was just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with fish??

Like I said, I know you're on here to talk about the footy, but maybe one of you guys are Dr. Harry!? Ahah

Thanks in advance!
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Re: Goldfish

Reply #1
I have some in the garden pond and I'm losing them to kookaburras.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
I've had crow problems, but a net has fixed that. As of late, I'm slowly losing one by one to tail rot. I've tried medicating them and what not but to no real avail. It really sucks!

Reply #3
Fin rot is a fungal disease, you can put stuff into the water to cure but I found that once it gets into a tank most fish get it, with devastating consequences.  Look at the online forums on aquarium health, fish pests and diseases.

If the bottom of the tank is rough and the water shallow their tails get frayed as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
I have a few goldfish in a tank and they are a bit of work as well.

Spent a packet on trying to keep them alive. I recommend having a chat to the expert at your local aquarium (not the pet shop)

I have two good aquariums near me In Mentone and Cheltenham and am regularly hitting them up for advice.

Reply #5
I thought the fish always rots at the head?? Serious question.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Assuming the pond has some sort of pump, have you sterilised the parts and changed the filter media?

I've heard there is a special salt you can add that kills the the fungal version, not sure about the bacterial version as I think it resides in the actual fish!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Cheers guys! I've tried Wardley Fin/Tail rot treatment, but I don't think it's working overly well. I know my PH is a little high, I think I'll have to go and get some more to condition the water etc.

Reply #9
Use charcoal from your local pet store to deal with bacterial issues in your filter system. Otherwise you may need to change all the water over a period of time. Maybe change 20% of the water every second day for 6 or 7 water changes. To get what ever is in the water out. Otherwise take the fish out for the day and change all the water. It sounds like your ph-level is not acidic enough. Just some possibles there for you. Carbon/charcoal in your filtration system is a great way to keep the water clean from nasties.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
Have you tested your water? Might be full of Nitrates which your fish create with their waste, and if allowed to build up, will see your fish susceptible to all kinds of disease. I have tanks inside, best advice I ever got was to change about a third to a half of the water every 2 weeks...bit of a pain in the back side, but my fish are healthy, happy and alive ;)