Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 23629 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #105
A win can do wonders upstairs. Especially as that has such an influence downstairs  :)
Maybe enough to start building some belief in winning.  Although I acknowledge the players (I.e. Jones, Weiters) have been saying it's building.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #106
Don't want to turn this moment into a Murphy bash at all but jeeeeez he frustrates me to watch. Deep in the last quarter everyone is still battling their guts out - he's already clearly switched off mentally. We've done enough to win so I'll start to cheat out the back and throw a few millionaire kicks in.

It only annoyed me because I was so keen for us to kick 100+ but it was so obvious. One forward 50 entry he just threw the ball onto his boot - went absolutely nowhere near his target. Under limited pressure it just illustrated that he was done for the day and couldn't care less. I'm glad he ran hard today but a good player just wouldn't do that.

mml.   Run off his feet.   Murph was great today.   Worked over Hunter and had 28, 9 marks and a goal.

Reply #107
A lot of good players today,  underlines that team efforts are what win games. Good job all round. We know what these blokes can do,  it's about consistency now.

Four quarters from SPS,  can't ask for more.   Massive hurt factor.

Jack was very damaging today,  those little gives,  blocks,  tap ons etc contributed to a swag of scores today. Assists are an important stat.

Idiotic team selection from the bullies though, they won't underestimate Harry again. And Trengove was BOG in the VFL.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #108
mml.   Run off his feet.   Murph was great today.   Worked over Hunter and had 28, 9 marks and a goal.

Murphy could have 40 disposals and kick 5 goals and someone would find fault  ::)

With the distance he covered today and the speed he maintained, it’s inevitable that his effectiveness would drop off towards the end of the game.  If anything, he probably should have spent a little longer on the pine.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
It's such a simple thing.

Harry kicked 4.3 (should have had 5).
Levi kicked 3.0
Jack kicked 1.1
McGovern kicked 1.1
 9 goals 5 from forwards.

The Bulldogs kicked themselves out of the match imho. 

7 goals 15, to 15 goals 11.

Theres no pressure like scoreboard pressure.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #110
Break-out game for SPS and H... both played with focus, authority and impact. Apart from his positive contributions, SPS chased and tackled the Bont when last year he would not have bothered to chase at all.

Thought SOJ was important... did some very good things at critical moments.

Gibbons continues to grow. Playing further up field was a major factor - also noted how effective he was with kicks on either side of the body.

Polson the only real passenger.  It was strange to see one player who couldn't find the ball when most everyone else was in on the fun.

Paddy Dow showed important stuff also... kicking improved but needs more.

ZF was also great and showed some fancy and effective weaving and footy smarts. The main footy smarts came in the form of effective hand-passes rather than scrubby kicks when he was under pressure (wonder who finally got that into his head) whilst his unpressured kicks were generally very effective.

Forwards attacked the player approaching with the ball, demanding they be used.

Notice BB kept his addresses short...

Now to back it up.

Reply #111
Only have seen the highlights but I was very impressed with Levi.
Always have heart in mouth when he is kicking but his set shots looked Fevolaesque.
Been awhile since we've nailed set shots like that from outside 50.
Well done Levi and coaching group.
If he wants it bad enough big Harry could be anything.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #112
Only have seen the highlights but I was very impressed with Levi.
Always have heart in mouth when he is kicking but his set shots looked Fevolaesque.
Been awhile since we've nailed set shots like that from outside 50.
Well done Levi and coaching group.
If he wants it bad enough big Harry could be anything.

Best game I can recall ever seeing from Levi. Big H will be an absolute star imo. Moves and acts like one already, full of assured confidence. That's star quality imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
Several players have PBs, it makes a difference spreading the load, and playing a game that brings team-mates into the game.

Gibbons showed what he is best at, I was pleasantly surprised by his DE%. But it's not just that, as a mature age he showed that knowing is a big part of doing. Nobody doubts his physical ability to run, the worry was he wasn't showing the where and when, but he showed that yesterday.

Levi, McGovern and Harry all worked well. The good thing now is we do not have to rush Charlie back, he's a ten year player and can be managed back through the VFL. Get him right, get him well!

Young SoJ, was hard inside, did some nice stuff fans miss but coaches don't! Flubbo at The Hun will make a big issue about SoJ having to make way for Charlie, but if we are unscathed I don't see any change as urgently required. Also, while Harry is on a high he needs to back up his efforts with a solid follow up game, it's important for his development! If you bring Charlie straight back in you could undo that opportunity at the selection table!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114
Watching the replay on Fox is the perfect way to start a day off.

Seeing Harry streaming down the wing for point of the year still got the blood pumping.

Reply #115
Oh well, guess i’d better post lest I become one of THOSE members  ::)

After anointing him the next big thing when he debuted, i’d given up on SPS ... almost. He needs to have it explained in no uncertain terms that yesterday’s game is the MINIMUM standard expected in terms of effort and intensity.

Let’s hope the GC debacle becomes the turning point. Please, please, please Blues - do NOT go back into your shells against the Dawks. The King Hitter won’t be as lenient as Beveridge.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #116
Murphy could have 40 disposals and kick 5 goals and someone would find fault  ::)

With the distance he covered today and the speed he maintained, it’s inevitable that his effectiveness would drop off towards the end of the game.  If anything, he probably should have spent a little longer on the pine.

Sorry to be negative on him. It just shows through and it's impossible not to make comment when you see it. He could run 20km, kick 10 and have 50 pos and I'd still make comment. He just does that little something that shows that killer instinct he simply does not have... in my opinion.

Reply #117
Murphy was outstanding yesterday, his running without the ball makes his teammates look good, and it happens often!

Reply #118
Sorry to be negative on him. It just shows through and it's impossible not to make comment when you see it. He could run 20km, kick 10 and have 50 pos and I'd still make comment. He just does that little something that shows that killer instinct he simply does not have... in my opinion.

Won't say too much as I risk sounding like Cliff from Clematis, but I was talking to an old footy-going acquaintance who I sat next to yesterday. He's attending more games again this year, having been missing for a while. He has a connection with the club through an iconic Carlton figure. Reckons the possibility of letting Murph go at the end of last year was considered but rejected. A major factor he said was that it would have been a very bad look for the club. Anyway, take that for what it is - I cannot verify it but the guy who told me is not a trivial character.
What I noticed yesterday was that the new era midfield is now starting to emerge with the younger guys rapidly becoming its core. Murph added value without doubt, and probably will for rest of the year, but it is clear now that his era has passed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119
Best game I can recall ever seeing from Levi. Big H will be an absolute star imo. Moves and acts like one already, full of assured confidence. That's star quality imo.

Levi dropped a few marks I50 that he would normally eat for breakfast.

Could have kicked 5.
Finals, then 4 in a row!