Skip to main content
Topic: Two things after Round 2 (Read 2930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Two things after Round 2

Reply #30
Kennedy and Cunningham are on their last chance and while i rate Cunningham as a player with the tools to make it but he just doesn’t want it enough and will likely fall on this own sword come years end.

I'd like to see how Cunningham goes in a game with some of the rule changes.
It might suit him...but you're right, not many chances left.

Reply #31
I worry guys like Kennedy and Cottrell won't get much opportunity under these rules, despite being good footballers they haven't got the leg speed for this open play style we are seeing.

But having said that, look at young SoJ, not blessed with speed but made it work anyway, heart like Phar Lap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
1. Early signs from: Martin, Saad, Williams, and Fogarty are good 🤞

2. Early signs from many of our own draftees not so good. Not ideal, but has at least created a form of depth and competition for spots 🤞
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
We are on our 4th senior coach the whole time Buckley has been coaching Collingwood.

I wonder why they're better drilled.....

Ratten, into malthouse into barker, into Bolton into Teague. 

If you add barker's acting role its 5 senior coaches.

Thats not to absolve Teague.  What id wager though if you rank the clubs in order by longest serving coaches, off the top of my head you'll rank them roughly in order of success over the last 20 years.

There's something in continuity.  There's no coincidence that the smoothest transition of coach we've seen recently has been at Geelong and they just played in yet another grand final.

I was thinking very similar during the woods v dogs game, Collingwood for all their perceived faults and weaknesses are well drilled, cohesive and heavy bodied.
They do go forward with system (how good a system is the question) but look at us on Thursday, how many “battling” goals did we kick...? Probably 1/2 of them !

For whatever reason (I think) the last time we were truely cohesive and systematic was under Ratten, probably... but on Thursday night we had Saad & Fogarty playing their 2nd and Williams 1st games, Martin starting his second season and a 50 gamer playing kpf.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #34

They do go forward with system (how good a system is the question) but look at us on Thursday, how many “battling” goals did we kick...? Probably 1/2 of them !

Great point.  You take Gibbons 2 out of his a$$ out of it, and a few other scrappy goals... and what did we actually “create”.   Martin lead and marked a few times, H lead and marked maybe once or twice, aside from that, they were all scrappy.   So, maybe once or twice a quarter we actually went forward and looked like we meant it!

“Disconnect” between mid and fwd has been mentioned as nauseam, but had anything been done about it?

Reply #35
Collingwood have a makeshift forward line with a rookie bean pole American soccer player at FF and VFL defender Mihocek as their other KP forward. Elliott went off injured and was replaced by another big name in Ruscoe. DeGoey is a mid by trade forced to play forward due to their lack
of options and Sidebottom ditto.
Not exactly world class or settled imo, we just were terrible down back led by Plowman who had about 7 goals kicked on him.

Reply #36
Collingwood have a makeshift forward line with a rookie bean pole American soccer player at FF and VFL defender Mihocek as their other KP forward. Elliott went off injured and was replaced by another big name in Ruscoe. DeGoey is a mid by trade forced to play forward due to their lack
of options and Sidebottom ditto.
Not exactly world class or settled imo, we just were terrible down back led by Plowman who had about 7 goals kicked on him.

Nothing wrong with the big yank, he knows his limitations and plays to them.
Plays deep, leads well at the ball carrier, gets it kicked to him well and marks at the highest point and best of all attacks the ball hard, wouldn’t mind one ourselves...

Harry seriously needs to hurt some defenders... got himself smashed again on Thursday, needs to dish a bit out...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #37
Plays deep, leads well at the ball carrier, gets it kicked to him well and marks at the highest point and best of all attacks the ball hard, wouldn’t mind one ourselves...

Harry seriously needs to hurt some defenders... got himself smashed again on Thursday, needs to dish a bit out...

Agree Cox has his uses but if we are struggling with the Pies forwards then we will really struggle vs some of the better teams who have more firepower.
Harry does need more mongrel in his game but I don't think he is that type and more the Joe Daniher type who relies on skills. We need Charlie Curnow back to make Harry more dangerous and take that double team he usually gets off him.

Reply #38
1. We don't have a system/plan going into our forward line.
2. We don't have a system/plan going into our forward line.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #39

I don’t get why Harry needs to change anything. He is not a crash and bash forward but a aerobic running forward in the Nick Riewoldt mold. Casboult on the other hand!

Harry played just his 50th game this week on probably the best backman in the comp and in his one on one contests more then held his own. Kicked 4 and pushed himself harder then the majority of his teammates. I watched him closely this week live and I was very impressed with his workrate and willingness to complete. If we knew how to kick to his advantage the bloke would have had 6.

He’s developing nicely imo. And rivals teams will see it too and he will seeing big offers coming his way.
He has areas of his game that need improving but at the 50 game stage he is one player in not concerned with.

Reply #40
Agree Shawny, he had a couple of brain fades but he still kicked goals and I don't see him as a cause of our woes. We still give the opposition too much space too much of the time and we don't want the ball ourselves anywhere near enough.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
1. We don't have a system/plan going into our forward line.
2. We don't have a system/plan going into our forward line.
Speak to Cam Bruce, he is our fwd line coach being such a good fwd himself he should be able to fix it easy. ::)
When we will learn.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
I don’t get why Harry needs to change anything. He is not a crash and bash forward but a aerobic running forward in the Nick Riewoldt mold. Casboult on the other hand!

Harry played just his 50th game this week on probably the best backman in the comp and in his one on one contests more then held his own. Kicked 4 and pushed himself harder then the majority of his teammates. I watched him closely this week live and I was very impressed with his workrate and willingness to complete. If we knew how to kick to his advantage the bloke would have had 6.

He’s developing nicely imo. And rivals teams will see it too and he will seeing big offers coming his way.
He has areas of his game that need improving but at the 50 game stage he is one player in not concerned with.
Agree, H wasn't our problem Thurs night, Mids and defenders got poleaxed.
I have had quite a few neutral supporters tell me in the last few days that the H - Moore battle was a cracker.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time