Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #120
It's a funny old thread this.

I think we all have our own perceptions on what happened out there today and are pretty much sticking by them.
Maybe a day or two's reflection will change that,

What I saw

We were as good in the first half as we were last week.
After half time the Hawks raised their level of intensity and pressure and basically out-muscled us.
We suffered some significant injuries that really hurt our structure especially in defence…. which looked as unsure as it has at any time this season.
'Capitulation' has been used a couple of times....I didn't see that,
We surrendered a lead...but I don't think we ever capitulated.
In fact having weathered the onslaught and surrendered the lead we fought back to even up the contest and in fact it was the Hawks who were looking a bit fragile at the finish....I don't like to use the "what might have been" but the reality is that had the siren gone a couple of seconds later Harry could have been lining up to win the game.

This thread would be completely different.

Reply #121
If you've got other suggestions, drop him a line. If only he'd consult CSC, he'd actually learn how to coach.

Great idea, because thus far, on match days saying he's clueless is all but impossible to argue against.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
Bolton is wasting our time playing Ed as a small forward....talking about robbing Peter..... ::) ::) :-[ :-[

Probably, but he's clean out of options.
The one thing we haven't been able to recruit, and we've had a decent crack at it, is a small forward.
It's our Achilles heel, we'll have to address it if we want to mix it with the best.
Apart from that we're tracking OK, it was only inexperience that cost us today's game.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #123

I think we all have our own perceptions on what happened out there today and are pretty much sticking by them.

What I saw

After half time the Hawks raised there level of intensity and pressure and basically out-muscled us.
We suffered some significant injuries that really hurt our structure especially in defence…. which looked as unsure as it has at any time this season.
In fact having weathered the onslaught and surrendered the lead we fought back to even up the contest and in fact it was the Hawks who were looking a bit fragile at the finish....I don't like to use the "what might have been" but the reality is that had the siren gone a couple of seconds later Harry could have been lining up to win the game.

Nice post lods. But the Bolton haters would still not be happy. They would complain that a 1 point win isn't good enough, that the players made Bolton look better than he is, that we should never surrender such a big lead etc.

Reply #124
Great idea, because thus far, on match days saying he's clueless is all but impossible to argue against.

Well, your position on CSC is "senior coach", so if he gets sacked, throw your hat in the ring.

Reply #125
Bolton is wasting our time playing Ed as a small forward....talking about robbing Peter..... ::) ::) :-[ :-[

Ed runs hard and is a senior body.  His disposal is poor and when he is pushed out of the side we will be going places.  But he, along with Thomas, Murphy et al are the few senior experienced players we have.  They are not world beaters, and not a patch on the senior players Hawthorn had running around today, but it is what it is.  Ed at half forward is working OK.  He can find the pill and he can move quickly into the middle with the 6-6-6- rule in place.    

Reply #126
Ed runs hard and is a senior body.  His disposal is poor and when he is pushed out of the side we will be going places.  But he, along with Thomas, Murphy et al are the few senior experienced players we have.  They are not world beaters, and not a patch on the senior players Hawthorn had running around today, but it is what it is.  Ed at half forward is working OK.  He can find the pill and he can move quickly into the middle with the 6-6-6- rule in place.  

Rubbish, when the opportunity cost is leaving leading players on the other team running rampant because our only tagger is trying to snag a goal (and essentially has zero idea how to be a forward).

That's a dumb comment.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
Omeara had a ton of the ball but imo was not that damaging and not the reason the game changed.

I hate him but Clarkson is a master coach and still has enough top end talent to move the chess pieces and change the style when it’s not working to get things to change. He showed his expertise today in the coach box and our blokes as we have done so many times in the past in these sorts of situations.... we hand our opposition  easy soft goals when panic sets in. Seen it countless countlesss times over the last decade and it happened again today.

Our midfield are not that used to leading a match and when they rarely do they hate becoming the hunted - we go into our shells, start to carrel the opposition instead of throwing our bodies in, tackles when they are attempted are weak and soft and rarely stick and the team coming is given every opportunity to mount a comeback.  We become totally reactive and then as the pressure is so high in trying to stop the bleeding the usual suspects makes stupid decisions and we cough up countless goals which is the part I am so so sick of.

As soon as I see us coughing up soft goals regardless what the scoreboard is,  I know it’s game over. 

We handed that game to them like we have done way too many times and I’m tired of looking at the positives.

And anyone that thinks next week will be easier is kidding themselves.  Yep we are a building team but wins like today are vital for belief and worth much more then the 4 points.

Gutted and tired of losing the same way.

Have to disagree on Omeara, we would have been further in front without his input, I heard the same line last season with Mitchell that its ok
to let him run around on his own because he isnt damaging yet he got the 3 brownlow votes.
If its good enough for premiership winning coaches to look after the opposing teams best player then its good enough for us IMO...

Reply #128

What I saw

After half time the Hawks raised their level of intensity and pressure and basically out-muscled us.

Well balanced view as usual Lods.
I try to avoid the "what might have been" too but I can't resist...
What if little Fishers snap from the pocket hadn't hit the post?
????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #129
Liam Jones has had a good year but his F ups are awful,  and cost goals.   He had at least four today and they all hurt. The kick in F up was as bad as I've seen,  but fumbles and mishandling,  getting falconed and punching the ball back into play instead of clearing the contest....it wasn't his best game today.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #130
Liam Jones has had a good year but his F ups are awful,  and cost goals.   He had at least four today and they all hurt. The kick in F up was as bad as I've seen,  but fumbles and mishandling,  getting falconed and punching the ball back into play instead of clearing the contest....it wasn't his best game today.

His + Plow's f... ups  plus LOB's total lack of awareness....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #131

Not sure why he picked Bruest  to try and get cute(baulk around) with near goals....play the percentages man , kick the fecking thing.....a hot cross bun nearly got launched at the TV when he attempted that move...

Reply #132

No, not his best, but he's been rock solid for us down back, so I for one will cut him some slack. And he took a few killer marks today as well.

The problem with Jones has always been that his howlers, really, really howl. But his good outweighs the bad at the moment, and he's a worthy member of our back 6 IMO.

Reply #133
Not sure why he picked Bruest  to try and get cute(baulk around) with near goals....play the percentages man , kick the fecking thing.....a hot cross bun nearly got launched at the TV when he attempted that move...

Traditional, Apple & Cinnamon ?  :D

Reply #134
No, not his best, but he's been rock solid for us down back, so I for one will cut him some slack. And he took a few killer marks today as well.

The problem with Jones has always been that his howlers, really, really howl. But his good outweighs the bad at the moment, and he's a worthy member of our back 6 IMO.

Big picture - our midfield went totally missing in Q3 today and early Q4, totally absolutely missing (if 5 or 6 of the blokes were sitting on the bench nothing would have been different) - Cripps included today - too much heat on the back line - unacceptable heat.
Finals, then 4 in a row!