Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 56173 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #60
Everitt cant replace Jones.

It sends the wrong message.

Jones actually tries.  Everitt just coasts around waiting to kick a couple of goals.

Everitt has averaged about 16 touches a game since he came to Carlton, that says he's doing more than coasting to me.
Jones has averaged just over 5 at Carlton and single figures over his 76 game career, he just doesn't get hold of the ball and it isn't about to change.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #61
I think it would send a very poor message if, after playing well in the seconds and performing reasonably in your one outing in the firsts, we were to drop Jones.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #62
Everitt has averaged about 16 touches a game since he came to Carlton, that says he's doing more than coasting to me.
Jones has averaged just over 5 at Carlton and single figures over his 76 game career, he just doesn't get hold of the ball and it isn't about to change.

It's about what they did last week, not last season.

From all reports Everitt was invisible in the magoos and that was after he had been terrible all NAB cup an his first game of the year.

Jones has played well for two weeks in the magoos and worked his arse off (i watched him closely) in the firsts.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #63

From all reports Everitt was invisible in the magoos and that was after he had been terrible all NAB cup an his first game of the year.

Jones has played well for two weeks in the magoos and worked his arse off (i watched him closely) in the firsts.
x 2. As you said, sends the wrong message. BB is a smart operator, its all about teaching and learning but they are made to know where the stand in no uncertain terms. Jones did well in the 2s to earn the spot and did nothing wrong to lose it. Very hard to change a team that gutsed out a win at Subi versus last years league leaders, unless of course some guns are screaming for their spots back but I cant think of any.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64

x3. Precisely. Jones earned his spot in the seniors and showed composure at critical moments to kick goals. Everitt's performance for the NBs said nothing about demanding attention/recall - failed to impact the game sufficiently (according to reports).

Armfield has put two very good performances together in the NBs - putting his hand up for recall (replace Buckley?).

Boekhorst should come back through the NBs. Walks also perhaps.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #65
x3. Precisely. Jones earned his spot in the seniors and showed composure at critical moments to kick goals. Everitt's performance for the NBs said nothing about demanding attention/recall - failed to impact the game sufficiently (according to reports).

Armfield has put two very good performances together in the NBs - putting his hand up for recall (replace Buckley?).

Boekhorst should come back through the NBs. Walks also perhaps.

What role has Army been playing in the magoos, Baggers?

He only ever really been a defensive forward or tagger in the top side. It will be interesting to see if they have a place for him because I don't know if he'd get a midfield spot.

Reply #66
I think it would send a very poor message if, after playing well in the seconds and performing reasonably in your one outing in the firsts, we were to drop Jones.

The last 10 minutes aside Jones didn't perform reasonably well, until then he had barely touched the ball and missed a simple set shot.
That said, if Everitt did nothing or next to nothing in the VFL then he shouldn't play seniors.
Our lack of even one decent key forward needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency in the next off season, until it is we won't be going far.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
The last 10 minutes aside Jones didn't perform reasonably well, until then he had barely touched the ball and missed a simple set shot.
That said, if Everitt did nothing or next to nothing in the VFL then he shouldn't play seniors.
Our lack of even one decent key forward needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency in the next off season, until it is we won't be going far.

He did perform reasonably well. Did you see the delivery into our forward line?

It's a team game and Jones worked really hard, which had been one of the knocks on him. TV didn't give an indication.

Liam's improvement in the magoos was on the back of being able to run at packs and take marks and working hard. The delivery didn't allow for running at the ball (apart from the Kerridge kick which he marked) so all he could do was pressure and lock the ball in. Which he did.

Reply #68

Let Gibbs be our key forward, he can slot them from 50. ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #69
What role has Army been playing in the magoos, Baggers?

He only ever really been a defensive forward or tagger in the top side. It will be interesting to see if they have a place for him because I don't know if he'd get a midfield spot.

With Buckley having a calf strain and out for at least a week you'd think that Den would be an ideal replacement as a small, quick, defensive forward. Likes to kick a goal as well and could go for a brief run through the mid-field.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
With Buckley having a calf strain and out for at least a week you'd think that Den would be an ideal replacement as a small, quick, defensive forward. Likes to kick a goal as well and could go for a brief run through the mid-field.

Didn't know about the calf strain.

Makes sense. Probably him or Tutt I suppose.

Although, against a weakened Bombers, they might be tempted to play a Cuningham or DVR.

Reply #71
He did perform reasonably well. Did you see the delivery into our forward line?

It's a team game and Jones worked really hard, which had been one of the knocks on him. TV didn't give an indication.

Fair enough.
I hope Jones shows some decent form for the rest of the season but I'm not confident that he will.

Reply #72

If Bolts rewards places for effort, young Andreas ain't going anywhere. He was non existent on Saturday, wasn't involved and didn't look like he wanted to be.

Reply #73
Armfield or Tutt for Buckley will it I think.

Reply #74
Armfield or Tutt for Buckley will it I think.
These guys have some runs on the board in the VFL, most noticeably in the last 2 weeks. So one of them would be the favourite and would deserve a go.
DVR might have been in the picture if he'd had a better game against Port Melbourne.

I would not be bringing Walker directly in. He needs some time to warm up, as his first up effort generally isn't that flash.
Everitt has to stay in the VFL until he makes a real contribution, not just talking to the press after the game.
I would also bring Boekhorst back via the VFL. He was reasonable before he got injured but is too spasmodic as yet. Let him get 25 - 30 possessions in the VFL and then he makes his won case.
Live Long and Prosper!