Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 7 : Pre Game Thread - Blues v Pies (Read 36897 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 7 : Pre Game Thread - Blues v Pies

Reply #120
Reckon Phillips grabbed at his hamstring in last week's game.

He'll be a big out, disappointing as his confidence would have been gaining momentum....then this. Hopefully just a one week-er!

Kreuzer to ruck with support from Casboult. I'd give Everitt a go as an around the ground extra mid to run off Grundy at times.

Rowe to take Cox.

Plowman to take Moore.

If J.White plays forward - combo of S.White and Everitt to switch forward and back tomorrow.

Byrne/Docherty to take Fasolo/Blair in which ever order.

Walker to play forward.

No offense Pratty but when Casboult rucks it's like giving the opposition rucks a rest.

I'd rather see Rowe or Jones have a crack in the middle at least they force some sort of effort from the opponent. If Jones brought the same physical contest to the ruck that he did with his recent attack on the ball he'd be good value.

If Casboult does ruck I hope like hell he proves me wrong, but small and medium sized defenders deal with Casboult body on body as easily as they deal with Murphy(Actually body on body Murphy might be harder to deal with!) Opposition rucks barely notice Casboult is there! :o

The jumping / running Casboult is a real threat and danger, the wrestling Casboult is a Dandelion!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
We have been diabolical against this Mob under Malthouse.... It's time to right the ship.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #122
How the Pies play will give a big indication as to what they are made of and if Bucks is respected.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #123
No offense Pratty but when Casboult rucks it's like giving the opposition rucks a rest.

I'd rather see Rowe or Jones have a crack in the middle at least they force some sort of effort from the opponent. If Jones brought the same physical contest to the ruck that he did with his recent attack on the ball he'd be good value.

If Casboult does ruck I hope like hell he proves me wrong, but small and medium sized defenders deal with Casboult body on body as easily as they deal with Murphy(Actually body on body Murphy might be harder to deal with!) Opposition rucks barely notice Casboult is there! :o

The jumping / running Casboult is a real threat and danger, the wrestling Casboult is a Dandelion!

No offence taken...just stating what might happen.

I'd prefer Phillips in when fit rucking. He's been getting better each week.

Jones needs to be 'in the game' more so rucking is one position i identified last year and start of this for him to play.

If we don't play him down back, having him sit forward only is a waste. he need to become a forward/ruck and with his athletic and jumping ability who knows, he might be handy, so I'd like to find out.

I got laughed at, kinda lol, for stating we should go after Stef Martin when he was at Melbourne as his athleticism and strength would be handy as a good old fashioned follower. he was dumped by Melbourne and was seen as a nothing footballer at AFL level. In no-mans land. Jones is very very similar IMHO.

Reply #124
I got laughed at, kinda lol, for stating we should go after Stef Martin when he was at Melbourne as his athleticism and strength would be handy as a good old fashioned follower. he was dumped by Melbourne and was seen as a nothing footballer at AFL level. In no-mans land. Jones is very very similar IMHO.

I'd agree with that Stef Martin stuff.

Late last season we had Jones, Warnock, Kreuzer, Casboult, Rowe and Watson back when it was floated. So I understand also why people would raise a question.

Ironically, of the blokes we got rid of Watson was probably the best option as a 2nd/Relief ruckmen, despite his pitfalls he was pretty handy in the ruck and could mark almost as well as Casboult. Watson was a real waste for any number of reasons, and he could kick!

We lost Watson but kept Wood, short term thinking in case Kreuzer was a bust perhaps!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Are you talking about Matthew Watson?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #126
Are you talking about Matthew Watson?

Yes I am, Watson spent some time rucking at the NBs and did OK. Never got the opportunity to try it out in the AFL. Maybe the club thought he was too small but he didn't look that small side by side with Meat.

When MM was here he wanted a Leigh Brown type ruck option, Meat was the chosen option probably due to his tackling and marking. But I cannot say for certain he would have had more impact than Watson in a 2nd Ruck / Relief Ruck role.

But if they both got 2 or 3 shots a game from 50m out I know who I'd prefer to have the ball! ;)

PS: I probably agreed with the trades, de-listings and retentions from last year. But if Kreuzer stays on the park they seem to be wrong in hindsight. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Bolton probably has Wood in 6th or 7th place for a ruck role!

Regardless, McKay should make them all redundant within a couple of seasons.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
My worry is that we wil kick the long ball (yes again) into our fwd line causing a turnover and this is coll at there best run spread with handballs and then deliver to cloke on the lead with no pressure cause there fwd line is open with space every where.

Reply #128
My worry is that we wil kick the long ball (yes again) into our fwd line causing a turnover and this is coll at there best run spread with handballs and then deliver to cloke on the lead with no pressure cause there fwd line is open with space every where.

Collingwood seem to be an unbalanced list at the moment, and without Sidebottom they look a hell of a lot slower. Late mail is he will be an out, apparently did about 1/10th the normal training this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129

More than happy for the Pies midfielders to spend time looking upfield for Cloke, because by the time they realise he's not there, they'll be face down eating grass!!

Reply #130
I am actually feeling confident and we are playing a decent side. Been a long time since I last had that feeling. Imagine we had a few decent forwards!

Its a game that could do wonders for the young players - how good would it be early on to build real confidence in the group and what a better way then to knock over the old enemy when no one expects it.

Back in 70s and 80s we were respected as a team and never considered pushovers and for good reason too. Supporters were arrogant but could back it up. How good would to be to get that feeling back.

Reply #131
It's games like these that really worry me (although I don't have a lot of confidence either way). Pies are down and out, players injured, out of form a couple of their better players as late withdrawals then BANG they end up smashing us. Seen it happen too many times before.
Really hope Kreuzer has a great game. Took a season high 4 marks last week so I'm praying he's getting some confidence back. Kreuzer wins we win.
Also, if Thomas can have another good game that would be a great result.

Reply #132
This is a tough tough test for us. We have struggled to put together a string of wins over the few years and since we have won two in a row, three in a row will be difficult. We look a bit short down back but by the same token the big American is someone we could run off. Collingwood are in the process of falling apart but whether they have unraveled enough for us is what we will find out tomorrow. Walker and Everitt will help our forward line, and if they can play with the same confidence they showed from the 25 min mark of last week's third quarter, we may be able to put a winning score on the board. Of course Cripps will be a big inclusion.

Reply #133
It's games like these that really worry me (although I don't have a lot of confidence either way). Pies are down and out, players injured, out of form a couple of their better players as late withdrawals then BANG they end up smashing us. Seen it happen too many times before.
Really hope Kreuzer has a great game. Took a season high 4 marks last week so I'm praying he's getting some confidence back. Kreuzer wins we win.
Its different now Rock, have faith.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134

Tend to agree...

I reckon it will be one of two ways...

1. We have our best forward lines and we all click offensively and win (we are due to just click)
2. The first 6 weeks hit us hard and Collingwood find their feet and win 10+ goals.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset