Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 12787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
An ugly win's better than a pretty loss, and it wasn't the strongest side we can put on the park anyway.
It was almost painful to watch at times, the only thing more painful than the football were the umpires.
I rarely bag umpires but today's was one of the most inept displays I've seen for years, an outrageously soft free paid one minute then a glaring one missed the next, those blokes should be doing Mortlake/Dimboola next week.
Adelaide next week and their season is sputtering along, another chance for Teague to nail down the job.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #31
Ho hum, another win, getting boring and what cr@p they dished up!  ::)

I don't care how we do it as long as we win. We are a bit rusty in this dept so we have to wait a bit longer for a  real %age booster.

I'm with you cookie. There was more passion and interest after our last game against GC.
Fascinating.

Perhaps folks can see todays ugly, horrible, disgraceful, lazy.... win like this. We've got training wheels on when it comes to winning. Our boys are still learning the skill????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
Why are some unhappy with the win today and seem to think we underperformed....maybe the last 6 weeks has clouded your judgement. We have been a basket case and If I said to you after the Essendon debacle we would change coaches and win 4 of the next 6 and with a bit of luck might have won all 6, you would ask me what I'm smoking. Yet now it seems we are supposed to perform like a top 4 outfit.

Harry's kicking was bad today but his tackling and efforts to work his arse off when Suns had the ball didn't go unnoticed by me. His kicking has gone since his had the groin injury - im guessing it has effecting his action.....oh and im pretty sure he is was our key forward today and is yet to notch up 30 games. 
We are sitting 16th are slowly building a competetive list and have a tonne of young talent which are still learning their craft and should when it clicks propel us up the ladder but we still need time.

So when critiquing don't lose sight of that.

Reply #33
No wonder the board lights up after a loss. Not a lot of praise going on here.   Looking at the champion stats, 17 players got over 70 points and there are a few clustered ranges,  which shows a really even effort.

Laj, I understand you don't like LOB in the team,  but please acknowledge his kick to Setterfield for our first goal.  There was another that I recall thinking great kick... he looks as if he is gaining confidence and being a part of hardball chains.  His kicks that go out of bounds on the full are obviously no good!

It is great that we didn't fall into being reliant on Crippa and that others stepped in and up.  Defense was really solid and we managed to keep the ball in our forward half for longer periods.

Good signs. 

Reply #34
No wonder the board lights up after a loss. Not a lot of praise going on here.   Looking at the champion stats, 17 players got over 70 points and there are a few clustered ranges,  which shows a really even effort.

Laj, I understand you don't like LOB in the team
,  but please acknowledge his kick to Setterfield for our first goal.  There was another that I recall thinking great kick... he looks as if he is gaining confidence and being a part of hardball chains.  His kicks that go out of bounds on the full are obviously no good!

It is great that we didn't fall into being reliant on Crippa and that others stepped in and up.  Defense was really solid and we managed to keep the ball in our forward half for longer periods.

Good signs.

Huh?

Reply #35
Was at the game and was expecting a 10 goal win. We got 6 goals up and i thought we were on track. Then we just about stopped. We were on 99 points halfway through the last....and were still on 99 points at the siren.

Not sure when the last time we played bad and won was, but we were lucky the opposition was Gold Coast because any other team would've seen an 'L' today.

Boys look absolutely stuffed at the end. Siren went and players just slumped to the ground.

I picked 1 matchup that was crucial in the pre-game, and unfortunately it was one we lost. Witts vs Kreuzer. Only 1 player wearing navy blue had a worse supercoach score today and it was the debutant we picked up in the mid season draft - Deluca...and i think he did well.

Unfortunately Cripps was 3rd worst in terms of supercoach scores and continues to hobble around. Looked to have hurt his ankle or something at some stage but tried to soldier on. I'm worried for him.

In other news, heard Goddard speak at the pre-match, reckons he could be 1-2 weeks away and its just up to him to declare himself fit really. Still sporting stitches in the side of his head, and a swollen jaw, but should be back in business soon.

How refreshing that we can be dissatisfied with a WIN!

That didn't take long.

I was thinking...
A) We had an extreme match last week where everyone threw themselves at every contest for the game - interstate.
B) You can only beat the opposition you have in front of you. Sometimes the level gets dragged down by a poor opposition.
C) I honestly think we'll beat Adelaide by more next week.

Reply #36
How refreshing that we can be dissatisfied with a WIN!

That didn't take long.

I was thinking...
A) We had an extreme match last week where everyone threw themselves at every contest for the game - interstate.
B) You can only beat the opposition you have in front of you. Sometimes the level gets dragged down by a poor opposition.
C) I honestly think we'll beat Adelaide by more next week.

Just like getting that 80s feel again...haha.

Reply #37
Har it’s funny isn’t it.

We were crying for any won and now lamenting it wasn’t more than 4 goals.

I think because we were 6-7 goals up and it felt like we could finally go on with it and smash a team, and it didn’t happen and at times almost felt like we were going to lose it! Thank god we didn’t, I think the CFC would’ve torn the place down!

Reply #38
I love cripps but did anyone find he was a bit selfish on a few occasions and turned the ball over? Couldn’t understand why he did that?

Reply #39
Har it’s funny isn’t it.

I think because we were 6-7 goals up and it felt like we could finally go on with it and smash a team, and it didn’t happen and at times almost felt like we were going to lose it! Thank god we didn’t, I think the CFC would’ve torn the place down!

I was all but certain we would fold once it got to 18 odd early in the last. I think Big H kicked that lucky goal then and that was about that....
As plenty have said, far from pretty but you'll take the win.

Now for the Crows and to overhaul the Saints on the ladder....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
I love cripps but did anyone find he was a bit selfish on a few occasions and turned the ball over? Couldn’t understand why he did that?

yep, tried to do too much on his pat quite a few times today....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
Why weren’t any 50m’s called when we continually got dumped after taking marks?  Is it not a thing any more, like incorrect disposal?

Reply #42
Feel the umpiring was like being handicapped in a two horse race.  I think we get the worse umpires every week because our games don’t matter. 17th vs 18th we must get the ninth best group appointed. They aren’t consistent with decisions and there positioning is atrocious.The umps board are running there best groups together on the good games to get em ready for finals.
Frustrating very frustrating

Reply #43
Har it’s funny isn’t it.

We call that progress!

Reply #44
Huh?

Sorry if I got your sentiment wrong Laj. That train of thought exists on this forum and I assumed you were part of it.