Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 13001 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
Feel the umpiring was like being handicapped in a two horse race.  I think we get the worse umpires every week because our games don’t matter. 17th vs 18th we must get the ninth best group appointed. They aren’t consistent with decisions and there positioning is atrocious.The umps board are running there best groups together on the good games to get em ready for finals.
Frustrating very frustrating

One of the radio commentators was saying that he bumped into a CFC official at half time (ex player), and he commented that because they are so low on the ladder, and it's a game of little consequence, they get the umpires on L plates. I'm sure the club is quite aware of the situation, irrespective of what they say publicly.

Reply #46
Sorry if I got your sentiment wrong Laj. That train of thought exists on this forum and I assumed you were part of it.

Lol. That's ok. Haven't given O'Brien alot of thought. He did struggle with Bolton being light and in his 2nd year. Certainly been better under Teague. Done pretty well each game. Always helps to let everyone play to their strengths.

Reply #47
I thought LOB and Setters looked right at home in the first half at least. LOB blew a few kicks on the wing as the game went on. That needs tidying up for sure but he appeared more confident and found space. Setters, like last week, faded. He needs a 2nd preseason and assuming his improvement continues, we have a very good mid/fwd.

Cripps had his ankle strapped during the game. I wonder if he's injured. Certainly not his usual game today. His goal was a nice trick. I hope Dow is better for missing a game.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #48
I love cripps but did anyone find he was a bit selfish on a few occasions and turned the ball over? Couldn’t understand why he did that?

The one time i thought to be myself, stop being so selfish was when he ended up kicking that snap at goal.....that went through....and i thought you're lucky you kicked that otherwise a few players would've been rightly pissed.

Reply #49
The one time i thought to be myself, stop being so selfish was when he ended up kicking that snap at goal.....that went through....and i thought you're lucky you kicked that otherwise a few players would've been rightly pissed.
He had another time where he tried to do it all, when he really didn’t need to, and got caught.

Reply #50
Great game from Liam Jones and I thought Plowman played his best game for the season, Kennedy has provided that Josh Caddy type forward player and was very good
with his reading of the play and taking his opportunities.
Cripps was down but that wasnt a bad thing and a few other players stepped up to pick up the slack. Liked Casboults game and he is a different player after going down back and getting some ball and it seems to have lifted his confidence.

Ugly win but thats how you have to do it sometimes as you get dragged down to lesser teams level, GC are not very good and without Lynch and May dont have much
to build around, if those two had played today I'm not so sure we would have won but you can only beat whats on the park.

re: Deluca...felt the speed of the game and didnt have much left in the tank, couple of good moments but needs an AFL pre season.

re: Obrien...still a weak link IMO and I dont get what others see in him, kicking is erratic, sometimes good and then he just gives the ball away with
no pressure applied often with kicks that go out on the full.

Good games from the two old blokes down back  in Simpson and Thomas, remain unconvinced about Lang and still dont rate him....Liked Setterfields game, nothing too flash about how  plays but he contests well and plays an old fashioned solid game, ditto for Jack who continued his good form from his previous games.
Kreuzer had a tough opponent in Witts and struggled in the ruck but kept on keeping even when he got whacked in the head and he gives you 100% effort every week.
Good win IMO and Teague keeps the training wheels off for another week...

Reply #51
@ EB1

Pretty fair summary EB. I think I am a little more optimistic about Lang. De Luca was certainly sucking in the big ones a few times but I am optimistic about his future prospects. Keep going boys, just keep those wins coming!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
Why weren’t any 50m’s called when we continually got dumped after taking marks?  Is it not a thing any more, like incorrect disposal?

Yes, that happened a half dozen times and not one whistle....normally, it's a guaranteed fifty.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
I must admit i see nothing in LOB to suggest he'll be a player.

Granted he's young, but for a #10 pick, awful.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
I must admit i see nothing in LOB to suggest he'll be a player.

Granted he's young, but for a #10 pick, awful.

He was much better earlier in the game but faded as he fatigued. Maybe with more fitness he would improve his overall performance?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
The umpires favoured gold coast because they cant afford to get spanked every week.  They won't survive so this one was always going to be tight.

They want pick 1 so they weren't going to win today either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
The umpires favoured gold coast because they cant afford to get spanked every week.  They won't survive so this one was always going to be tight.

They want pick 1 so they weren't going to win today either.

Surely a spanking by the  (At the time) 2nd worst team in the league would've been enough justification for the AFL to award them a PP and not give one to us though.

Reply #57
Any thoughts on Fiorini's game?

He certainly racked up the numbers (I'll have to watch the replay after all).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Surely a spanking by the  (At the time) 2nd worst team in the league would've been enough justification for the AFL to award them a PP and not give one to us though.
they'll get one anyway.

It's hard to retain players if you're getting smashed every week even by the side who's second bottom.

Side note, that was possibly the most experienced side we've fielded in a while.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
Any thoughts on Fiorini's game?

He certainly racked up the numbers (I'll have to watch the replay after all).
Got a lot of ball but didn't impact much with it, skills were OK but I thought he wasn't as good as Brodie who contested well and earned his kicks the hard way, Brodie's kicking needs work though.