Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 12993 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
The one time i thought to be myself, stop being so selfish was when he ended up kicking that snap at goal.....that went through....and i thought you're lucky you kicked that otherwise a few players would've been rightly pissed.

Cripps is learning to play a more outside role now and perhaps thats part of the learning curve. He used to getting the ball and dishing off now he seems to want to play more of a Dangerfield role.

Reply #61
Cripps is learning to play a more outside role now and perhaps thats part of the learning curve. He used to getting the ball and dishing off now he seems to want to play more of a Dangerfield role.

Agree, the team needs more balance.
He can’t be the only inside player we have.
So he has to bring other facets to his game.

It’s similar to having one main goal kicker.
You become too predictable

Reply #62
He got clobbered in Q1, wasn't the same after that....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
Cripps was limping noticably, and had an ankle restrapped at one stage

Reply #64
They strapped his ankle, but I also thought I saw him have his foot stomped on as well.

Not sure if it was the same problem foot though, or if it was accidental or deliberate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Wasn’t one of those expecting us to pummel the Suns today. Don’t think we’ve got enough of that killer instinct just yet to smash sides into the dirt. This was evident when we got 7 goals in front and then switched off and started stuffing around.
A win ya a win though. Will take it every day if the week after the first half iof the season we ve had.
How can we explain that putrid umpiring though ? Umps obviously under instruction from the AFL to go easy on Gold Coast this week. Can’t have them being smashed every week seeing as millions of (wasted) dollars have been pumped into them.
Reckon commentators also given a nudge by the AFL to not be too harsh on, and talk up Gold Coast as much as they can.

Reply #66
@ EB1

Pretty fair summary EB. I think I am a little more optimistic about Lang. De Luca was certainly sucking in the big ones a few times but I am optimistic about his future prospects. Keep going boys, just keep those wins coming!

I’m with you Cookie ????

I thought that Lang looked like he belonged out there for the first time.  He faded in the last quarter but he gets a pass from me.

Deluca is a little off the pace, as is to be expected, but his leading patterns were the best I’ve seen from one of our small forwards since Matty Wright was at his best.  He also showed some intent with his tackling and I think we’ve found a player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
I’m with you Cookie ????

I thought that Lang looked like he belonged out there for the first time.  He faded in the last quarter but he gets a pass from me.

Deluca is a little off the pace, as is to be expected, but his leading patterns were the best I’ve seen from one of our small forwards since Matty Wright was at his best.  He also showed some intent with his tackling and I think we’ve found a player.

he laid a great tackle in the 3rd or 4th (tried that stupid round the corner kick at goal and failed dismally). But he went ok (may have been a bit proppy too)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68
i too liked what i saw from Deluca, he's got some zip, he's tough and looks like a smart player. Would really like us to leave him in for the rest of the year and give him a chance to adjust to the speed of the game

Reply #69
Great game from Liam Jones and I thought Plowman played his best game for the season, Kennedy has provided that Josh Caddy type forward player and was very good
with his reading of the play and taking his opportunities.
Cripps was down but that wasnt a bad thing and a few other players stepped up to pick up the slack. Liked Casboults game and he is a different player after going down back and getting some ball and it seems to have lifted his confidence.

Ugly win but thats how you have to do it sometimes as you get dragged down to lesser teams level, GC are not very good and without Lynch and May dont have much
to build around, if those two had played today I'm not so sure we would have won but you can only beat whats on the park.

re: Deluca...felt the speed of the game and didnt have much left in the tank, couple of good moments but needs an AFL pre season.

re: Obrien...still a weak link IMO and I dont get what others see in him, kicking is erratic, sometimes good and then he just gives the ball away with
no pressure applied often with kicks that go out on the full.

Good games from the two old blokes down back  in Simpson and Thomas, remain unconvinced about Lang and still dont rate him....Liked Setterfields game, nothing too flash about how  plays but he contests well and plays an old fashioned solid game, ditto for Jack who continued his good form from his previous games.
Kreuzer had a tough opponent in Witts and struggled in the ruck but kept on keeping even when he got whacked in the head and he gives you 100% effort every week.
Good win IMO and Teague keeps the training wheels off for another week...

I want Plowman to succeed but his good is more than offset by his poor decision making under pressure. Hopefully he improves in time but he is by far our worst at turnining the ball over at critical times. Dow, ECurniw and Simpson also need to improve in this regard.

Reply #70
@ EB1

Pretty fair summary EB. I think I am a little more optimistic about Lang. De Luca was certainly sucking in the big ones a few times but I am optimistic about his future prospects. Keep going boys, just keep those wins coming!

Deluca had some of the top running stats on ground. Leader in sprints and work rate in attack. Not a bad effort on debut.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #71
I’m rapt with picking up Gibbons. First year in and has given us instant value, he is versatile works hard whether forward or used thru the middle. Will only get better too when has another 30-40 games under his belt.

Newman as well is a solid footballer and has cemented his spot. As long as he reduces his kicking turnovers he has also been a great pick up.

When you consider what these 2 cost us and how they have played a role instantly, it rubs it in how bad McGovern has been.

Has time to turn it around so still keeping fingers crossed.

Reply #72
I’m rapt with picking up Gibbons. First year in and has given us instant value, he is versatile works hard whether forward or used thru the middle. Will only get better too when has another 30-40 games under his belt.

Newman as well is a solid footballer and has cemented his spot. As long as he reduces his kicking turnovers he has also been a great pick up.

When you consider what these 2 cost us and how they have played a role instantly, it rubs it in how bad McGovern has been.

Has time to turn it around so still keeping fingers crossed.
Agree re Gibbo. I like seeing him on the ground, I feel confident when he has it. He is non smart arse mucking around, solid, team first, hard at it footballer.

Reply #73
Agree re Gibbo. I like seeing him on the ground, I feel confident when he has it. He is non smart arse mucking around, solid, team first, hard at it footballer.

Solid team first footballer is exactly the type of player Teague was, and you'd expect the type he wants in the side.

Blokes like Ed Curnow, Kennedy, Silvagni, Gibbons and now DeLuca have all improved their game since Teague came on board and all of them 100% fit that description.

You could probably apply it to plenty of others too, but those ones stood out to me.

Reply #74
Solid team first footballer is exactly the type of player Teague was, and you'd expect the type he wants in the side.

Blokes like Ed Curnow, Kennedy, Silvagni, Gibbons and now DeLuca have all improved their game since Teague came on board and all of them 100% fit that description.

You could probably apply it to plenty of others too, but those ones stood out to me.

I believe the Hawks sustained glory was built with these very types. Several of their "long shots" (respectfully) became essential inclusions. As we know they were skilled in their own right, but added to a spine of top end talent. That combination not only balances the books but also perpetuates motivation to stay in the side and results in reliable depth.

For those reasons I'm bouyed by recruiting the likes of those mentioned as well as Jack and Willo. Hopefully a couple of later late picks will also turn out to be gems. Get a handful of those right and you're in with a chance.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.