Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 19 Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 8234 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 19 Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
Phillips is playing for his career.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
Philips can play a little bit, but i'm hoping he puts in one of his better performances.  TDK must be getting closer to getting another game, but he'd have to be very ready if he was to play as the number one ruckman.  Not an easy job for a kid.

Out of interest, I looked up Reilly O'brien for the Crows.  About to turn 24, 202cm, 101kg, 17 games.  He played a good game last week - 27 touches, 39 hitouts, 3 marks, 4 tackles.

O’Brien’s stats should be treated with caution; Essendon didn’t play a ruckman.

We will miss Kreuzer’s one percenters but, if Flip is on his game, his marking around the ground will be a bonus.  He is a competitive tap ruckman and should be more than a match for O’Brien.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
The opposition rucks were BOG against Phillips in the early rounds,  even though I didn't think he was too bad.  

End approaching for Eddie I'm afraid.

If the cows can't win this Pyke is g-a-w-n.   Everything to play for. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
O’Brien’s stats should be treated with caution; Essendon didn’t play a ruckman.

We will miss Kreuzer’s one percenters but, if Flip is on his game, his marking around the ground will be a bonus.  He is a competitive tap ruckman and should be more than a match for O’Brien.

Been playing well weeks previous to that as well...Jacobs cant get back in and is playing SANFL.
Obrien was a stiff who didnt look like making it as a player ever and I couldnt see how he would ever make it but he has gone to the next level and is is very Kreuzer like at ground level.
Philips does an ok job but as Prof pointed out most of his opponents had very good games when he played earlier and he will need to play four quarters vs Obrien who is very fit.

Reply #34
The opposition rucks were BOG against Phillips in the early rounds,  even though I didn't think he was too bad.  

End approaching for Eddie I'm afraid.

If the cows can't win this Pyke is g-a-w-n.   Everything to play for.

Or nothing if they want him gone?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
Forecat all good!

Saturday 27 July

Summary Min 9 Max 14

Mostly cloudy.Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.4 mm Chance of any rain: 30% 

Melbourne area

Patchy morning fog. Mostly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower, most likely across the eastern suburbs. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late afternoon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
"The Crows face a rampant Carlton at the MCG on Saturday, a must-win match for Pyke’s side if they’re serious about playing finals." Fox Footy today in Eddie Betts article.
When was last time Carlton was referred to as "rampant"?
We've been ok over the last six weeks but I think we would be a long way away from being rampant.

Reply #37
I'm really hoping that this week we can make a statement and beat a decent team. Importantly I want this statement to be made without players that have left Carlton and are have found little or no success or are struggling for a game (or maybe injured). I'm thinking:
Eddie Betts (yes we love him but nice to know we can win without him)
Bryce Gibbe
Sam Jacobs
Zac Touhy
Lauchie Henderson
Mitch Robinson (maybe the only one in the list above playing this week and also doing very well both personally and team wise)

Who else has left CFC that is still playing that I have missed ? Think that Billy Gowers left without a reputation.

Reply #38
Nice if LoB,  the kid we got from the Gibbs trade,  had a good game in a win.   Wouldn't that just flip the bird westwards?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #39
Phillips is playing for his career.

If Kreuz is not replaced for next year then Phillips will be retained imo. Lobbe would be the one to go.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
If Kreuz is not replaced for next year then Phillips will be retained imo. Lobbe would be the one to go.

I'd cut both of them and go to a recycle from somewhere else to be honest.

Neither of them do enough to warranty keeping, and De Koning will go past both of them as our ruck backup for next season.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41

Neither of them do enough to warranty keeping, and De Koning will go past both of them as our ruck backup for next season.

De Koning hasn't played a senior game as yet - asking a lot of the young guy to become the one and only understudy.  If Kreuz gets a big injury, we would be in trouble.  Imagine if next year is going ok and then we have to play half or more of the season with no experienced big man.....?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #42

Reckon you are right Cookie....we need a bigger more physical ruckman who can handle the monsters like Witts and the rougher units like Mumford,Lycett etc who
bully our blokes. Philips is an ok ruck but isnt much of a presence on the ground and Lobbe is finished IMO.
I'd keep Philips as backup but look for a bigger physical specimen to compliment Kreuzer and slowly introduce TDK into the lineup vs selected teams..

Reply #43

Phillips is severely underrated IMO.

He might not be able to hunt the ball like Kreuzer does, but lets face it....who can Nic Nat, Grundy and Gawn aside (the elite).
However, Phillips is a better mark than Kreuzer. I reckon he's a better kick at goal too. 54% vs 45% in Phillips favour.

He's had just as many injuries as Kreuzer has, but has shown he can perform when having an extended run at it.

His ruck craft is very good.

Both Phillips and Kreuzer win 40% of their ruck battles.
However Phillips is better with his taps, 33% are hitouts to advantage.
Compared to Kreuzers 25%

What does that mean in real world terms?
Say your ruckman gets 24 hitouts a game.
Both Phillips and Kreuzer will get their hands on 10 of them first.
But with Phillips 8 of them will go to our advantage.
Only 6 of them will go to our advantage from Kreuzer.

You'd think that this basically translates to 2 extra clearances per game from our mids with Phillips.

Kreuzer gets more clearances per game than Phillips does, but only by 1.

So ruck wise, we are 1 clearance better when rucking with Phillips than we are with Kreuzer.

Phillips also has more agro than Kreuzer.