Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: 2019 AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 18168 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: 2019 AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #135
This comment below is why we are arguing

“I'm damn certain AFL teams can't significantly change game plans and tactics mid-season, which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!”

It is simply not true

Reply #136

“I'm damn certain AFL teams can't significantly change game plans and tactics mid-season, which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!”

It is simply not true

The bulk of our game plan remains unchanged.

You might see clubs introduce new tactics as the season progress, but that doesn't mean they are doing it cold without rehearsing and training for it, and it doesn't happen in a week in the middle of the season.

It's the exact opposite of what you assert, tactics and game plans are trained for long before you ever see them attempted or implemented.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137

It is simply not true

Again its all about perspective.

What one see's as a change of game plan, another might say is the same plan being executed differently.

Has the plan changed?

I think the emphasis on where the lines sit has changed.

I don't think the plans have changed all that much, although I dont think the game plans really differ much anyway.  What changes is where your opposition lets you have space.  How you move in relation to them arguably has a bigger impact than anything else.  The other thing that changes is the personnell executing the plan.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #138
I don't think the plans have changed all that much, although I dont think the game plans really differ much.  What changes is where your opposition lets you have space.  How you move in relation to them arguably has a bigger impact than anything else.

Exactly, it can be as subtle as a small change in the timing.

I think JonHenry confuses something he hasn't seen before, something that is new to him, with something they haven't trained for already.

A more prudent observation would be to ask where did these small changes come from, and why weren't they initiated earlier. It could well be that Teague was offering this advice to tweak the plan to BB all along and BB chose to ignore it, if so BB's demise is on him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
I'm pretty sure that every team has a similar game plan....kick more goals than the opposition.

How they do that will differ from club to club.

Its all about the definition of a game plan and how nit picky you want to be about what that actually is.

Under Teague, we have played with a lot more freedom. Our setups have been different. Our use of players have been completely different.

Overall, thats enough of a game plan change to be significant IMO.

Reply #140
We've certainly moved the ball a lot more quickly, a lot more often!

'taken the game on' is the cliche?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #141

And we seem to be making a lot fewer mistakes and turnovers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #142

Would you still perceive it that way if they were not hitting the targets?

Does less wasted disposal present the same perceived result?

And we seem to be making a lot fewer mistakes and turnovers.

It seems to me the more often you hit targets the less constrained you'll be about taking a risk, not the more risks you take the more you hit targets.

Teague's made a slight change in emphasis and he deserves a big tick.
The Force Awakens!