Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel (Read 9747 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel

We play a Sunday afternoon game against the Weagles next week, a Weagles outfit without NicNat.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs West Coast at Marvel

Reply #1
After 5 wins in 7 games, and the 2 losses being by peanuts, it is hard to make a case for making changes to the team. Still, we did have some players who didn't do a lot. Lang, Deluca, Dow and McKay spring to mind.

Certainly Fisher will be back from illness next weekend, Fasolo is playing his best football for a long time and Stocker is looking impressive. Stocker is probably a fortnight off yet: he didn't play a full game yesterday after only half last week. He'll play a whole game next week, and if he can prove his fitness, he will be a great chance for a senior recall.

McGovern is going through his fitness bash at the moment and won't be far away either. Considering that we haven't seen his fit yet, he could be a unexpected positive in the weeks to come.

Dow is probably the most under the pump, as it is just not working for him at the moment. I would like to see him get a couple of weeks in the VFL and a couple of 20 - 30 possession games. It would do him wonders.

H is a bit of a worry at the moment. His kicking is atrocious at the moment and he isn't holding his marks or do as much defensive work as he had been doing. Had he been on yesterday, we could have won by a lot more. But it is his kicking: he really needs to get that into gear.

Lang may not have done a lot yesterday, but I was happy enough with his effort. He snapped a good goal and he put more pressure on that I've seen at any other time in his career at Carlton. I still want more, but I was not disappointed.

Another who didn't have a lot of the ball yesterday was O'Brien, but he was also not a passenger. He wasn't as good as he has been, but he was not beaten and did some very nice things.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Other than Kreuzer I can't see us changing the KPP mix, other than through injuries, it's about right at the moment.

When McGovern is fit he'll put pressure on McKay.

FWIW, I suspect well have to trade away one or two KPPs at season end, there is no space for them all and De Koning gets better each week in the VFL, you can't have guys like Phillips, Lobbe, McKay, Casboult, De Koning, McGovern playing VFL on a regular basis and expect to retain them all. It's just reality, especially if SoJ and Cripps keep kicking goals, as well as midfield capable types like Setterfield and Kennedy.

Maybe you go Fasolo for Kennedy, but Fasolo brings relatively little inside pressure and won't tackle like a Kennedy. At this stage I think Kennedy stays just due to the age and long term outlook. I thought Fasolo's good game yesterday really came off the back of hard work by the younger types like Owies, Stocker, Cottrell, (as well as NBs listed guys like Fisher) doing the hard work up the field.

If Dow is an out I suspect Stocker might be an in, he didn't do that much but what he did was a class above if they think his fitness is up to scratch, but I'd say on form Cottrell looked the most likely of the candidates yesterday.

I can't see us taking too much run out of the side, it's the outside run that lets Cripps, SPS, Ed and sMurph and Setterfield function.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Weagles currently sit top 2, and have barely broken out of 2nd gear all season. They flexed some muscle yesterday, and are looking really good. I reckon it will be a Tigers - Eagles GF, with Tigers winning.

Eagles by 6 goals.

Reply #4
Good on you Paul.

We inevitably play well against the Eagles and they are missing numerous best 22 types - Hutchings (their only real stopper), Cripps, Duggan, Veneables.

And no NicNat - heck, Allen was doing some rucking yesterday. Hickey had 12 hitouts only....

Hurn may be back but won't have played in a month.

Last 3 results - 10, 17 and 7 points - Eagles way.

Last game at Marvel in 2014 we won by 3.

Blues to dominate the midfield battles - and win by 33.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Eagles have a seriously strong backline which we will struggle with - we really need Harry to force as many contests as possible.  They also have a 3-prong marking forward line (Kennedy, Darling, Allen) so Plowman/Newman will need to play tall this week.  And I don't think Mr Cripps will be offered a free-rein like last Saturday.

Having said that, belief and confidence can do amazing things. 

I reckon we will be competitive, but fall 15-25 points short.  We have to remember that this mob are the reigning Premiers and a serious chance for back-to-back.  As long as we are in the game, we will be able to take positives from the outcome.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #6
Eagles have a seriously strong backline which we will struggle with - we really need Harry to force as many contests as possible.  They also have a 3-prong marking forward line (Kennedy, Darling, Allen) so Plowman/Newman will need to play tall this week.  And I don't think Mr Cripps will be offered a free-rein like last Saturday.

Having said that, belief and confidence can do amazing things. 

I reckon we will be competitive, but fall 15-25 points short.  We have to remember that this mob are the reigning Premiers and a serious chance for back-to-back.  As long as we are in the game, we will be able to take positives from the outcome.

Don't agree:

B Brad Sheppard, Tom Barrass, Will Schofield
HB Lewis Jetta, Jeremy McGovern, Jackson Nelson

Sheppard not a patch on what he was last year and the general - Guv #2 - has been hobbling and could do with a rest.

Jetta aside, they lack pace big time.

But yeah, well drilled etc and their mids run both ways well.

And Allen's only 191cm, plenty of cover for him!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
Weagles currently sit top 2, and have barely broken out of 2nd gear all season. They flexed some muscle yesterday, and are looking really good. I reckon it will be a Tigers - Eagles GF, with Tigers winning.

Eagles by 6 goals.

Eagles have been up and down and despite their record haven't looked as hungry as last year. Happy to see they have won their last two as they might not come out as hungry. They lacked that hunger alot in that last half against Collingwood. Weren't that great against Melbourne either. We won't be favourites but we're a decent chance. 5 interstates down under Teague, may as well make it 6.

Reckon it'll be the Tiges v Cats.

Reply #8
Don't agree:

B Brad Sheppard, Tom Barrass, Will Schofield
HB Lewis Jetta, Jeremy McGovern, Jackson Nelson

Sheppard not a patch on what he was last year and the general - Guv #2 - has been hobbling and could do with a rest.

Jetta aside, they lack pace big time.

But yeah, well drilled etc and their mids run both ways well.

And Allen's only 191cm, plenty of cover for him!
They have the third-lowest points against this season.  Also, Shannon Hurn will come in this week. 

They have Barass and Schofield for McKay/Casboult, so McGovern will have an intercepting picnic if we don't work around him.

And their back-half won them the GF last year - Pies couldn't find a goal to save themselves.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #9
They have the third-lowest points against this season.  Also, Shannon Hurn will come in this week. 

They have Barass and Schofield for McKay/Casboult, so McGovern will have an intercepting picnic if we don't work around him.

And their back-half won them the GF last year - Pies couldn't find a goal to save themselves.......

Pies did find many 2 weeks ago though against them.

Reply #10

Interesting thought that the Hawks backline has only conceded 29 more points this year!

Hurn? Well good luck coming back from a calf in 2 weeks!

Their form has not been great - Dees almost got them, Hawks lost by a goal.

It's very winnable in Melbourne.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
Bookies:

WCE   1.37
CFC     3.10
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Remarkably similar numbers.....

I reckon Rioli and Ryan are the key threats.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
We usually play WC pretty well in Melbourne even when in wooden spoon form.

I like our chances this weekend.

Reply #14
Their small forwards will be a dangerous prospect for us. If Kreuzer comes in, any chance we keep him and Phillips to ruck and leave Levi permanently forward or floating between forward line and backline? I thought Phillips was good on the weekend. If Fisher is fit he probably comes in for Down. Stocker would be a good option down back but a lack of game time recently might keep him in the VFL for another week.