Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast (Read 9614 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

And the winner is ________
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

Reply #1
If you follow the W/L pattern for this season, you will see almost all teams have a few up weeks, then a game or period where they are down. We've been up for a few weeks now, so a downer against WC was probably not unexpected. We didn't disgrace ourselves, but it wasn't a great game, and the worst of the Teague era IMO. I think the final 4 goal margin flattered us tbh, arising as it did from a couple of junk time goals. WC played as they have most of the season, doing just enough to stay in front, in 2nd or 3rd gear. When and if they decide to really play they will be something. Match savers in defence, match winners in attack, a super midfield, winners and A graders on every line.

Lang, Kennedy, Deluca and a few others had nights to forget. Walsh, Murph, Newman, harry Mac, Simmo (mostly) and a few others were good. Weeters did a good job on Josh K.

Reply #2
And I didn't mind Angus' game. Yes, he got caught HTB a couple of times, and yes he was out of his depth, but he kept having a go, kept participating and didn't drop his head. A baptism of fire unfortunately. I thought he bested some of his senior colleagues tbh.

Reply #3
Considering the outs I thought we did a fair job.
Make no mistake, they are a powerful side.
Great running abilities.

We were probably missing 8 of our best 22.

Our guys now know the level of fitness and running required.

We also need to add 2-3 A graders

Reply #4
And I didn't mind Angus' game. Yes, he got caught HTB a couple of times, and yes he was out of his depth, but he kept having a go, kept participating and didn't drop his head. A baptism of fire unfortunately. I thought he bested some of his senior colleagues tbh.

Agree with that

Reply #5
In the big scheme of things we were a bit undermanned and a little outclassed.
They are the yardstick and they are in form..... so Teague probably lost nothing in his coaching quest.

(Housekeeping Note:
Folks....Crash sets up the post match thread well in advance.
After the siren goes automatically switch the discussion to that thread otherwise we have two threads running against each other.
There are times when there is not a mod available to lock the IN game and bump the post match thread. Thanks.)

Reply #6
I wasn’t unhappy, that second quarter they just took it on and scored whenever they went forward.

Not much from a lot.  Not sure Lang deserves another contract - just not hard at it.

I want to love fish but he frustrates me. I wonder if there’s still a hangover or BB coaching of standing between two oppo players ????that annoys me most.

Thought Samo was wasted, he’s silk when he kicks. LOB tried and did some good, did some not good.

Annoyed by that free against Simmo, not sure how the umpire missed him getting hit in the head as he was running past him, but saw Simmos retaliation, which had a lot of extra added!

Levi had a shocker. Seemed nervous and played like it.

Felt sorry for the new kid, stuffed up a few times but then did a great fend off near the end and a good kick.

Jones missing hurt, also Daisy’s desperation needed.

Newman great

Reply #7
We definitely missed Jones and Daisy.

'Junk time' is a thing...but the Eagles are in a real percentage battle at the top so if they dropped their intensity at the end 'more fool them'.

Was it our worst performance under Teague?
4-6 goal loss against the premiers ....or 5 points against Melbourne.
I think I prefer today's effort.

Reply #8
Our guys could have won if they played the entire game like the first quarter. Might have let Teague down today. His chance of getting the permanent coach position might be running away from here on. Bloody hell we could go with 4 lost games in a row to finish this season. How bitter a taste that could turn out to be. You simply can’t win games playing one great quarter of football. It’s not enough.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #9
One thing I noticed.  Gibbons and Cripps did not have black armbands.  That looked ordnary

Reply #10
This is y would should not recruit coniglio we need about 3 ball movers / carriers today’s game demonstrates this forget the 4 goal losing margin 

Reply #11
5 marks inside 50. That stat really irks me. You won't win many with that figure. Combination of outstanding WC defence and F50 entries not to advantage. Oh well.

Reply #12
5 marks inside 50. That stat really irks me. You won't win many with that figure. Combination of outstanding WC defence and F50 entries not to advantage. Oh well.

Tall forwards got sucked up the ground too much, meant nothing to kick to when we had it. One thing we've done well recently is keep our tall forwards deeper.

Reply #13
Is this the post WCE game thread?  Hope so.

I must have been watching a different game to most. I thought we stuck up the joint. Ill-disciplined, soft, selfish, and totally lacking in composure. Sure, they are the reigning premiers and we had Jones out which totally upset the balance but I still expected better.

What the f&ck is the deal with a CFC player being closest to the ball but then being beaten to it by an opponent? They're the Eagles ffs, not the Harlem Globetrotters. Just grab the ball dammit.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #14
When I heard that we would be without Jones and Daisy, replaced by Goddard and Schumacher, I was expecting a belting around th sixty points mark. To get within 24 points was really good as in the past we have dropped our heads and been thumped. 

I was pleasant surprised by Schumacher.  He made some mistakes but showed enough for the future.

Does anyone know what has happened to McGovern?  I expected him to line up for the Northern Blues.  Surely he can't be that unfit not to get a game with them - or is there some other problem we are not being told about?