Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast (Read 9777 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

Reply #45
Yes.
And they only beat us by 4 goals.

With Daisy and Jones in the side instead of Goddard and Schumaker, we would have beaten them.

We put in a bloody good effort considering the players we were missing I reckon

It was the equivalent of a 50 point win.

Our midfield went missing, our skills were sub standard as was our decision making.

Bad day at the office granted plus the missing players but still the boys appear to have started to buy into their own hype....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
We made too many poor decisions today.  We executed pretty badly at times too.

There were lots of bonus goals given to the eagles.  That simpson free kick was disgusting.   The actions cancelled each other out.  To give a stager a free goal when his team was coasting is simply poor judgement by umpires.
It wasn’t just the staging, he smacked him in the head moments before as he was running after the ball, past him - and Simmo didn’t like it and retaliated and that’s when he flopped. craps me that I can see it happen on my couch but the ump standing right there misses that part but then gets sucked into the flop!

Reply #47
It was the equivalent of a 50 point win.
So tell me, why didn’t they win by 50 if they were just coasting?

Percentage is crucial for those top spots, if we were such easy beats why didn’t they flog us?

Just because we’ve won 5 out of last 8 (two losses in under a goal), doesn’t mean we’re now finals contenders! There is still a lot to fix but what we’re seeing now is we’ve got a lot of talent to work with and the senior players are playing better than they have for seasons.

Did you really think we were going to beat last years premiers, who have built this team and played together for years? A 4 goal loss for us to them after the 2 months we’ve had is bloody unreal - we had two new players, we have deluca who has played SFA, no:

Kruezer
Jones
Daisy

Three of our top 10(?).

Add to that
Charlie
Doc
McGovern

Reply #48
It wasn’t just the staging, he smacked him in the head moments before as he was running after the ball, past him - and Simmo didn’t like it and retaliated and that’s when he flopped. craps me that I can see it happen on my couch but the ump standing right there misses that part but then gets sucked into the flop!

It’s very unlike Simmo to retaliate like that ... and it should have been a 50m penalty to us for Allen’s hit on Simmo if the umpires were fair dinkum.

The result was a reality check but at least we were competitive.

Positives for me were the performances of Goddard, Schumacher and O’Brien. 

Goddard’s first full game for us was serviceable and he showed that he is capable of matching it with the best key forwards.  He is definitely worth retaining as back up for our first choice key defenders.

Schumacher had a tough introduction to AFL and I thought he handled it pretty well.  He showed poise, pretty good decision making and skills.  I think that he could force his way into our best 22 with continued development.

O’Brien seems to be growing in confidence and his footy is improving as a result.  His disposal was better but he still needs to eliminate miskicks.

I piked out on going to the game and watched it on TV with Ms DJC for company.  Her observation that Wet Toast “don’t have any skinny, weedy players” summed up a key difference.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
So tell me, why didn’t they win by 50 if they were just coasting?

Percentage is crucial for those top spots, if we were such easy beats why didn’t they flog us?

Just because we’ve won 5 out of last 8 (two losses in under a goal), doesn’t mean we’re now finals contenders! There is still a lot to fix but what we’re seeing now is we’ve got a lot of talent to work with and the senior players are playing better than they have for seasons.

Did you really think we were going to beat last years premiers, who have built this team and played together for years? A 4 goal loss for us to them after the 2 months we’ve had is bloody unreal - we had two new players, we have deluca who has played SFA, no:

Kruezer
Jones
Daisy

Three of our top 10(?).

Add to that
Charlie
Doc
McGovern

You're welcome to your opinion Micky, just as I should be...

I have seen every Melbourne game (bar the Dees) and even the Freo game in Perth live.

Yesterday for sure we came up against a good opposition BUT I expected a lot more...irrespective of the outs.

It was a poor effort. Too many players doing the look at me, look at me stuff - and stuffing things up. The team first ethos was out the window.

Way, way too much bombing the ball on the forwards' heads....through the WHOLE game.

Players being slow to react, slow to move it on and slow to present an option to a team mate....and a lot of poor decisions.

Can we play better? Much.

Will we be better against the Tigers? A lot. I think DT would have been disappointed with yesterday's effort (rather than the result per se).

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
It’s very unlike Simmo to retaliate like that ... and it should have been a 50m penalty to us for Allen’s hit on Simmo if the umpires were fair dinkum.

The result was a reality check but at least we were competitive.

Positives for me were the performances of Goddard, Schumacher and O’Brien. 

Goddard’s first full game for us was serviceable and he showed that he is capable of matching it with the best key forwards.  He is definitely worth retaining as back up for our first choice key defenders.

Schumacher had a tough introduction to AFL and I thought he handled it pretty well.  He showed poise, pretty good decision making and skills.  I think that he could force his way into our best 22 with continued development.

O’Brien seems to be growing in confidence and his footy is improving as a result.  His disposal was better but he still needs to eliminate miskicks.

I piked out on going to the game and watched it on TV with Ms DJC for company.  Her observation that Wet Toast “don’t have any skinny, weedy players” summed up a key difference.

Yes, that was a real shocker at a critical time....the player (was it Allen) should get fined for the stage - just as bad as what the Cats guy did....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
One thing I did think was dumb in our play was how we bombed the ball into F50 all too often against one of the best aerial defences in the league - MacGovern, Barrass and Sheppard. who were dining out on it. I noticed on two or three occasions even the ball being bombed to a one on one with MacGovern and Fisher! Also the devastating period of play by WC, end of 1Q/start of 2Q from memory, really set us back. Their skills and ball movement in that period I think were as good as you'd ever see. Anyway, we weren't massacred, at least we hung in, which is a great sign atm, at this stage of our development.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
One thing I did think was dumb in our play was how we bombed the ball into F50 all too often against one of the best aerial defences in the league - MacGovern, Barrass and Sheppard. who were dining out on it. I noticed on two or three occasions even the ball being bombed to a one on one with MacGovern and Fisher! Also the devastating period of play by WC, end of 1Q/start of 2Q from memory, really set us back. Their skills and ball movement in that period I think were as good as you'd ever see. Anyway, we weren't massacred, at least we hung in, which is a great sign atm, at this stage of our development.

Agree. Was so frustrated at the game watching the slow high kick coming in. Don't think we took a single mark in F50 in a pack situation.

The chaos kick would have yielded a better result. They have the best tall defenders in the game and played directly into their hands. And the fact it was done time and time again from slow set plays meant IMO it was a game plan not just poor decisions from the players.  

Teague didn't have a great day IMO.

Reply #53
It is good to see the clouds rolling in over the silver linings on this site.
WCE were simply bigger than CFC. Too many skinny kids. Daisy was a big out particularly because of the absence of Jones. If we get these two back next week as well as Kreuzer and Cuningham and if we play with the same endeavor, we will do well against Richmond.
If the players want Teague they have to play out the season.
I was unhappy about the result but WCE are a good side, we need to find another goal a quarter. They are a top three side and we are a bottom three side. If they hadn't turned up to play we would have rolled them.

Reply #54
Bloody Teague. ;D

He's raised expectations to the point where a 36 point loss (call it 6 goals because folks don't want to count junk time goals) to the premiers is a disappointment.

The truth is we're at best an 8-12 ladder placed team at the moment.
We caught Brisbane on the hop (coach changes will often do that) but the rest of our games have been against very poor opposition. Even the teams that were in the eight when we beat them were in poor form at the time.
We were beaten by Melbourne!!!
The games have gone pretty much as they should have given the standard of the opposition.
So what possibly made us think we could match and beat one of the best, especially with late disruptions.
West Coast and Richmond are looking the likely Grand Fnalists.
It's here where we get a realistic view of how far off we are at present...and if it's 4-6 goals it's really not far off.... and about level with an 8-12 placed side.

West Coast beat North by 49 points last weekend...and they appointed a coach off the back of that.

We probably had more guys have their worst games in weeks at the same time, but that may have been a result of a few players missing and extra responsibility being required.
Cripps being pretty well held also meant an extra burden on others.
Schumacher had a tough introduction to senior football and was probably a bit shell-shocked by the increase in pressure and speed from the VFL level

Our back structure was weakened by the loss of Jones.
Our forward setup has been pretty well covered...too many high balls for the West Coast defence to pick off and just inefficient forward entries all round.
Harry did his best work (only real work) up around the wing area yesterday....and with Casboult also down we had no big talls to match their defensive strength.

If anything there was an element of panic and rushed actions which were largely responsible for the poor disposal.
Too many balls out of defence were kicked without a look upfield....and came straight back.

4-6 goals (whichever)...against arguably the best side in the league....
That wouldn't have hurt Teague's chances at all....unless club folks are holding out desperately for reasons not to choose him.

Reply #55
Are we going to discount WC junk time goals as well?

Reply #56

The problem for us was that Wet Toast got a bunch of questionable line ball frees at the critical moments.

In one passage of play you see our defender(I think it was Newman) gets pinged for a push out, Wet Toast free and goal, then moments later one of their forwards does the very same thing and isn't penalised(identical action to Simmo) and gets paid the mark for another goal, then at the other end SoJ takes a mark with the very same action and gets pinged for a push out on a Wet Toast defender, and that causes a rebound goal to Wet Toast.

In effect the umpires delivered a 3 goal swing in just a few minutes from identical actions which all went Wet Toast's way!

Another one I saw was Big H got deliberately legged outside F50, a Wet Toast player who was lying on the ground reached out and grabbed his ankle. Big H should have received a free kick and 50m penalty for an infringement that is supposed to be an automatic report, instead Wet Toast rebounded and had another shot on goal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57

Real 'Junk time' goals only occur when a game is all but over apart from the final siren.
Not in close games, before breaks.

In West Coast's position, where percentage is very important to their finishing position, there should be no such thing as Junk time.
So I'd say we take the two late goals on their merits.

Reply #58
The problem for us was that Wet Toast got a bunch of questionable line ball frees at the critical moments.

In one passage of play you see our defender(I think it was Newman) gets pinged for a push out, Wet Toast free and goal, then moments later one of their forwards does the very same thing and isn't penalised(identical action to Simmo) and gets paid the mark for another goal, then at the other end SoJ takes a mark with the very same action and gets pinged for a push out on a Wet Toast defender, and that causes a rebound goal to Wet Toast.

In effect the umpires delivered a 3 goal swing in just a few minutes from identical actions which all went Wet Toast's way!

Another one I saw was Big H got deliberately legged outside F50, a Wet Toast player who was lying on the ground reached out and grabbed his ankle. Big H should have received a free kick and 50m penalty for an infringement that is supposed to be an automatic report, instead Wet Toast rebounded and had another shot on goal.

Yep, thats a fair call LP. We got boned again by the umps but what's new.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
Yep, thats a fair call LP. We got boned again by the umps but what's new.....

When and where these frees occur is dramatically impacting games, and they are all subjective decisions, you can see hands in the back 50 times a game at the moment but only 5 or 10 get penalised.

It's a very stupid implementation of a ridiculously subjective rule!
The Force Awakens!