Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast (Read 9774 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 20: Carlton vs. West Coast

Reply #60
Full credit to west coast though.

At one point they were 3 goals 5.

They then went on to score 11 goals 1 from their next 12 scoring shots (one hit the post).

Premiership team, doing what premiers do and that is make the most of their opportunities.

We were 5 goals 3 at quarter time, and then I think we were 6 goals 5 at half time.  Speaks volumes.

What hurts is that when we got our opportunities, we didnt make the most of them.  I don't think the effort can be faulted, but the lack of composure at times was probably the biggest issue.  In the first quarter we looked like we were a little more concerned with playing around McGovern.

Later, not so much.

Ironically, the way we played under Bolton would have worked better against West Coast.  Slower more deliberate build up than this reliance on going faster, and being faster than West Coast.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
I understand that holding players off the ball is a free, and I understand that forwards holding defenders on the goal line is kosher when it wouldn't be any other time.  One of darling's Mark's came because Kennedy was shepherding weitering on the goal line and the ball dropped short.  Weitering was simply trying to attack darling who took an uncontested mark, whilst weitering was not able to get a run at it thanks to Kennedy.   Its accepted that had a carlton player marked it, weitering would have held Kennedy out and that's a free kick.  Why not for weitering in reverse.
This is becoming a pet hate of mine. Different interpretation of the same rule depending on field position.

Forwards seem to be allowed to monster their opponents and get away with it under the guise of “standing their ground”.

Sheeds should have had his mark (and, subsequently, the match winning goal) in last year’s GF disallowed because his opponent was just barreled out of the way.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #62
I was kind of surprised it was only 4 goals in the end. WC looked like they were cruising at times and there were multiple occasions where the ball just went into their F50 and they scored at ease. So as far as I can work out our very best side playing at their best could get us across the line.
I look at guys like Lang and wonder why he keeps getting a game. He might as well be in the 2's with Fasolo. Useless. Bring in Cunningham I guess?
Zac Fisher is poo at the moment. I hope his broken leg of last year hasn't dented his confidence, but he's a patch on the kid that impressed so much before BL (broken leg)
Deluca has had a couple of games and needs to make way for someone.
Kennedy had a shocker but he has credits and against Richmond is a must
Murph continues his good form since the Bolton exit.
He along with Newman, Walsh, and unfortunately Simmo, our best.
Harry was better this week but needs to have a bigger impact up forward. The ball must come to ground if you can't mark it "H". It's must. Regardless of the pox delivery to you. Make a CONTEST.
I thought the backline battled well under the circumstances. Plowman on Darling was always a big ask and I thought Teague should have moved Levi onto him as he wasn't having an impact up forward.
Weitering beats Kennedy which will give him great confidence.
Jack, SPS Ed, Cripps were solid. O'Brien I think is getting more confidence and should finish out the year playing in the seniors.
Gibbons is becoming a bit of a favourite. Always gives 100% and starting to hit the scoreboard.
Schumacher, a bit out of his league, at this stage, but I'm happy to give him another go, but likely will miss with Daisy's return I suspect. A bit the same for Goddard who will probably be a straight swap with Jones.
Setterfield, didn't really notice him. Phillips tried hard and did a couple of nice things but he was beaten on a couple of occasions by bigger bodied opponents and if Kreuzer is fit I'd be playing him next week in his place against the Tigers.
We had I would say six definite starters out to their one, in the hugely overrated Natanui, we continued to kick the ball badly to our forwards but to the advantage of their backs, the umpires pipped in with their obligatory shockers (seems to be a common occurrence) so a 4 Goal margin wasn't bad.

Reply #63
The only thing I found disappointing was that we didn't really get a setup to leverage Liam Ryan's lack of defensive run, if he doesn't get the footy Ryan basically stops and watches and we didn't take advantage of that.

I suspect if Daisy had been out there we might have seen even more goals from the HBFs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
The only thing I found disappointing was that we didn't really get a setup to leverage Liam Ryan's lack of defensive run, if he doesn't get the footy Ryan basically stops and watches and we didn't take advantage of that.

I suspect if Daisy had been out there we might have seen even more goals from the HBFs.
That is very true. He managed to get votes in some media awards, but he allowed Nick Newman to run off him and kick his first 2 goals, at other times he allowed Simmo to run off him to the point that Simmo was nearly BOG and he was never penalized for some of the least effective attempts at screamers that I have ever seen. He took one good mark, but he should have given away 6 frees from unrealistic attempts. However, not one was paid. Even two of his own goals came from the fact that he did not chase his opponent: he was left on his own and we turned the ball over and couldn't get back to pick him up. He coudn't pick up the 'flu!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65
I thought we tried hard but were just undermanned. They were bigger and stronger everywhere

Reply #66
I thought Harry had a pretty average game.
My memories of the game were that he did a bit of good work up around the wing but not a lot else.
I doubt many would have him in our bests but...
Apparently stats wise though it was one of his better games

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-08-05/stats-that-mattered-blues-v-eagles?fbclid=IwAR0sBZJz15RdD2X-VIu-xqad9lEOsrFhmS26VIpgvA3kqM9m5WCFY7L9BZ4

18 disposals, a career-best 11 marks and a team-high seven score involvements.

Reply #67
My memories of the game were that he did a bit of good work up around the wing but not a lot else.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-08-05/stats-that-mattered-blues-v-eagles?fbclid=IwAR0sBZJz15RdD2X-VIu-xqad9lEOsrFhmS26VIpgvA3kqM9m5WCFY7L9BZ4

And the WCE have one of the best defenses in the league.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
He worked really hard to give our backs a target when they were under pressure, but had to push up to the wings to do that. We really miss C Curnow because once Harry had the ball on the wing we struggled to give him a viable target to move the ball quickly

Reply #69
He worked really hard to give our backs a target when they were under pressure, but had to push up to the wings to do that. We really miss C Curnow because once Harry had the ball on the wing we struggled to give him a viable target to move the ball quickly

Agree, I was at the game and he ran all day. I said to my daughter he reminded me of Nick Riewoldt in his younger days - he played a very smart game if we had Charlie and also McGovern forward, that game would have played out very differently.

I'm very happy with Harrys year - developed well considering the lack of support with Charlie injured and McGovern not fit - and then when you remind yourself this kid has played just 32 games!  :o

If he gets his kicking for goal back like it was he will be a star of the comp in 2-3 years time.  

Reply #70

Nice article. H is coming along nicely.

As I mentioned previously we really only lost our way for a period in the 2nd qtr, but this is too similar to the 'bad old days'. It's still something we have to clean up on, those terrible 15 minute lapses.

As an aside, I wonder if DT is the coach the club was hoping it would get with BB? Young, capable bloke to grow with the group?

Really liked Weiters game. Gibbo is rapidly becoming a fave among BlueBaggers. Sharp pick-up, that Newman - future winger for sure, once the injured army of defenders return (Willo, Doc, Jones, Marchbank...)... loves a goal.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #71
Another point of difference.   West coast were much more vocal.  I was on level 3 and could hear them that's how loud they were.

We are like church mice by comparison.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
Without the size and speed of Jonesy, and the smarts of Daisy, I expected an 8 goal loss.

In all, i thought we did well enough to hold them to 4. Our weaknesses were i50 match ups, and turn overs. Mainly from poor decisions or execution. At times we had more time than we realised.

WC are in premiership form. And yes, the umpiring seems to disproportionately penalize the underdog at times.

Our backs held the most potent forward line at bay. Weiters can chalk one up over JK, which he can be proud of.

Unfortunately the great game of several players was overshadowed by the passengers. We all know who they were.
I liked that our goals came from unexpected sources. Newy and Walshy in particular. I also loved Gibbons somehow leading for Walshy then putting some body on WC on the goal line. He's the ultimate team player who has evercharged long life batteries.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
We were due a 'let down' game and WCE take no prisoners....give them an inch (which we did on numerous occasions) and...

Add in Jones, Thomas etc out and we were always behind the 8 ball.

And the umpires made sure of it....

Whilst I fully understand Liam's absence (RIP his mum), it showed just how important he is to our structure - we often had none once we coughed the ball up....our mids were darn ordinary running defensively too....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #74
Average age:
WC: 26.2
Blues: 24.3

Average games:
WC: 125
Blues: 74

WC were 2 years more mature, with 2 seasons more game experience.

Image that Carlton team playing themselves in 2 years time.
I'm confident we will be more than a 4 goal better team in 2 years.

(Gold Coast actually fielded a more experienced team than us on the weekend, and got thrashed by the 69 points.)