Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 in 21 (Read 9939 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 in 21

Reply #45
Hi ElwoodBlues1 - I agree you need to be flexible to match your opponents but i disagree that 8-10 are required.

I believe 7 -8 players to choose from should be sufficient. If you look at all the top teams their backline is stable every week and the mix of players is able to cover the opposition no matter the make up of their forward line. If you look at Richmond Nathan Broad/Grimes Balta are just able to do enough against talls to get the ball to ground/mark or even match up on smaller players.

I agree that some of our current defenders aren't flexible enough to match up on most types. Plowman plays better on the smaller types as he is not very good overhead. I think if Marchbank is ever able to play a full season he will assist with our match ups.

Reply #46
Birchall doesnt/didnt defend he is purely a rebounder IMO.....Gibson played taller against certain opponents where he could use his pace and fitness and thats why he was handy vs Buddy but you wouldnt have him on players like Lynch, Hawkins, Dixon and expect him to cope. I think one of our main problems is small defenders and finding ones who can defend and not just rebound.
Saad doesnt like having to man up, Docherty and Simpson both like to work of their man and thats why small forwards have worried us over the years.
I'm interested in our round 1 team and wanting to know can we get away with a player like Marchbank down back vs one of the Tigers smalls given they only play two KP forwards with four smalls and Martin every now and then.
You really have to adjust your backline each week to get the match ups right and you probably need a back 8-10 who you can pick from to find the right combo's.
EB what cunning kents like Clarkson and Hardwick do is come up with styles and tactics you mention above that force the other mob to match up to them or try and contain them. Why can't our mob come with something radical and left field to keep the oppo guessing for a change. Carlton coaches always try and make the players conform to something they can't execute well enough for long enough. Come up with radical tactics that match the strengths and assets of our group that will cause problems for others.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Hi ElwoodBlues1 - I agree you need to be flexible to match your opponents but i disagree that 8-10 are required.

I believe 7 -8 players to choose from should be sufficient. If you look at all the top teams their backline is stable every week and the mix of players is able to cover the opposition no matter the make up of their forward line. If you look at Richmond Nathan Broad/Grimes Balta are just able to do enough against talls to get the ball to ground/mark or even match up on smaller players.

I agree that some of our current defenders aren't flexible enough to match up on most types. Plowman plays better on the smaller types as he is not very good overhead. I think if Marchbank is ever able to play a full season he will assist with our match ups.

Gday Tragic, I think Grimes and players like Broad, Vlastuin, Balta can play on a greater range of opponents, think I remember Grimes even playing on Eddie Betts in one game. Our blokes are not as flexible and I think we need a slightly larger pool of players to choose from to get the matchups right. ie Marchbank isnt going to be able to handle a Rioli, Castagna, Butler type or a Tom Lynch but I could probably put Tom Williamson on a small quicker player and get a better result. I'm also including players like Stocker, Oscar McDonald(if drafted in), Casboult, Newman as part of my backline group. You need injury backup as well as the ability to rotate players who are performing poorly on the day. Zac Williams is half back flanker by trade and he may have to go back at some stage depending on our needs so thats why I think we need about ten players in the mix with a core of say 5 players who are regular starters down back.

Reply #48

We generally have 8 players rotating through the backline; six starting backs, one on the bench and one alternating between wing and the backline.  If we cop an injury, or we have to move a player (for positive or negative reasons), we need another couple of players who can play in defence.  Depending on the 22, we will have 8 players who will play in defence for all or part of the game, as well as Williams, McGovern, Newnes, Casboult, etc who are competent defenders.

We do need a stable defence and, like EB, I think that we should have a settled core - I would go for Weitering, Jones, Docherty, Plowman and Saad - with Petrevski-Seton, Williamson, Marchbank, Newman and, hopefully, Stocker and Kemp in regular contention for the other three defensive spots.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
B: Saad, Jones, Plowman
Hb: Williamson, Weitering, Docherty
C: Murphy, Cripps, E.Curnow
Hf: Martin, Casboult, Gibbons
F: Betts, McKay, Fisher
Foll: De Koning, Williams
Rov: Walsh
I/c: Fogarty, Petrevski-Seton, Setterfield, Silvagni
Emerg: Durdin, Cuningham, Pittonet, Dow

*Newman, C.Curnow, Marchbank, Kemp ? over injury/fitness

Reply #50
Some thoughts from Johnny Barker:

The Blues' midfield coach John Barker is adamant that [Zac] Williams' speed makes him perfectly suited to playing an explosive role in a midfield already well stocked with raging bulls and endurance beasts.

"He is an electric footballer," Barker said.

"I don't think his tank is going to be an issue at all. We're happy with his burst ability and his repeat speed and it is great to have a midfield with a diverse mix of running abilities."

The 26-year-old Williams brings to Carlton a quality they have lacked, with skipper Patrick Cripps a big-bodied contested-ball genius and Sam Walsh emerging as an elite inside-outside hybrid.

Add to that trio some depth in Marc Murphy, Will Setterfield, Matt Kennedy, Ed Curnow and Jack Newnes, as well as some unfulfilled promise in Paddy Dow, Lachie Fogarty, David Cuningham and Sam Philp, and Barker has plenty of players who can ease the load that Cripps' surgically repaired shoulders have carried.

Whether Williams becomes a free agent to change the club's fortunes, as some others have, remains to be seen but the Blues aren't seeing him as that type of recruit anyway.

Barker said he adds to the mix which will make the Blues less reliant on Cripps to win contested ball in congestion in 2021 and more able to work their way cleanly from congestion than they have been able to in recent seasons.

The mix presents Carlton with the chance to move Cripps forward more often. Most importantly, it will allow Carlton to shift their shape around the ball, making them much less predictable to opponents.

Cripps didn't need much convincing as to what adjustments were necessary to improve the team.

"The great thing about 'Crippa' is that team is everything to him so he will play his role when he has to defensively and he doesn't always have to be the bull," Barker said.

"He is good with that because he knows there is a place we are trying to get to and that is going to help us get there."

The Blues' Jack Martin is also training with the midfield group at the moment as his toughness and versatility is an asset and Barker is supremely confident Dow can eventually become the player supporters hoped he could when he was chosen at pick three in the 2017 national draft.

"He's a good player. He just has to put it together," Barker said.

So, Williams is shaping up as the midfielder we were hoping for and Martin will spend more time in the midfield.

It would be helpful for our best 22 selections if we knew who was training with each group  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
Some thoughts from Johnny Barker:

So, Williams is shaping up as the midfielder we were hoping for and Martin will spend more time in the midfield.

I t would be helpful for our best 22 selections if we knew who was training with each group  :)
FWIW, I think playing Martin for bursts in the midfield is a no-brainer, as long as we do not expect defensive run from him, a stint in the midfield sets him free from defenders and there are few midfield opponents or taggers who could match him overhead if he floats into F50 as a option from out of the midfield.

Of course our lot hitting him as a target is a whole different kettle of fish! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
FWIW, I think playing Martin for bursts in the midfield is a no-brainer, as long as we do not expect defensive run from him, a stint in the midfield sets him free from defenders and there are few midfield opponents or taggers who could match him overhead if he floats into F50 as a option from out of the midfield.

Of course our lot hitting him as a target is a whole different kettle of fish! ::)

One reason why I may have been too quick to write Eddie off; he does hit targets  :)

Reply #53
The Inner Sanctum has the following as our Round 1 line-up:

B: Lachie Plowman – Liam Jones – Tom Williamson

HB: Sam Docherty – Jacob Weitering – Adam Saad

C: Jack Newnes – Patrick Cripps – David Cuningham

HF: Jack Martin – Levi Casboult – Marc Murphy

F: Zac Fisher – Harry McKay – Michael Gibbons

R: Marc Pittonet – Sam Walsh – Zac Williams

I/C: Sam Petrevski-Seton – Ed Curnow – Will Setterfield – Nic Newman        

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/afl-2021-season-preview-carlton/?fbclid=IwAR07ZnLETQKXZnVQkY33gddQSMbZMy1igVe8qGa021cRes4Nn-Qlljt7DGA

I reckon that's got to be close to the mark.

Reply #54
I think Durdin or Fogarty will play round 1 and would probably replace Cuningham in that team.

Reply #55
I think Durdin or Fogarty will play round 1 and would probably replace Cuningham in that team.
Cunningham looks surely to become another Carazzo type, and come good at another club!

He looks like he needs the shot across the bow.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Reckon Betts plays if fit.

Reply #57
Cunningham looks surely to become another Carazzo type, and come good at another club!

He looks like he needs the shot across the bow.
Squeeze is on as we have a better list of players and its harder to find automatics to delete. Cuninghams best is good enough but we have all discussed him at length over the years and I'd say this has to be his year or he will be traded/delisted/rookied.

Reply #58

Teague is a big fan of Cuners.  He'll play round 1 unless injured.

Reply #59
The Inner Sanctum has the following as our Round 1 line-up:

B: Lachie Plowman – Liam Jones – Tom Williamson

HB: Sam Docherty – Jacob Weitering – Adam Saad

C: Jack Newnes – Patrick Cripps – David Cuningham

HF: Jack Martin – Levi Casboult – Marc Murphy

F: Zac Fisher – Harry McKay – Michael Gibbons

R: Marc Pittonet – Sam Walsh – Zac Williams

I/C: Sam Petrevski-Seton – Ed Curnow – Will Setterfield – Nic Newman        

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/afl-2021-season-preview-carlton/?fbclid=IwAR07ZnLETQKXZnVQkY33gddQSMbZMy1igVe8qGa021cRes4Nn-Qlljt7DGA

I reckon that's got to be close to the mark.

No Gov, no Jack S, no Dow. 8 defenders, 9 if you count Zac W based on a previous life. Interesting. Not enough fwd cover for mine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time