Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 3321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Our injuries are worse this year .

Yes and no.

At one stage last year we could field a team of 18 players who were injured (and maybe even a couple on the bench).

Now we haven't got to that this year, but perhaps a higher calibre of player is injured? Or at least in areas harder to cover....perhaps....but pretty even.

Biggest ones...
Mckay this year = Charlie last year
Pittonet was injured a bit last year, as was TDK, hence why Jack got a run last year. Just Pittonet this year *touch wood*
Docherty last year, but not this year.
Cripps last year but not this year.
Weitering this year has no parallel last year.

Reply #61
Fark! Been to two games this year....Freo over here and flew over for yesterday....and we've lost them both. Been to two Freo games this year, including Saturday, and they've won them both.

My first Blues v Pies experience live and despite the result, it was worth the trip. Like most, when Weitering went down I thought we'd be hammered. But we rallied in both the second and last quarters and nearly pinched it. It came of the back of superb games from Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and Saad...and a lift from Crippa in the last quarter and a bit too. Saad was magnificent IMO and just love the way he backs himself in.

Few points from observations at the game:

1. Not sure who was on Sidebottom in the 3rd quarter but nobody would go near him. At one point I saw Cottrell screaming at team mates to man up so could only assume he wasn't on him at that point but might've gone onto him in the last and definitely quelled his influence. But he did all the damage in the 3rd.
2. Jack Carroll had a stinker for sure but it's his 4th game and doubt he's played a game like that before with the speed, pressure and crowd noise. He got caught a couple of times and panicked. He's normally got a good kick on him but just couldn't find it yesterday.
3. Saw a couple of times just off the ball where Motlop just stopped and didn't chase when he could've....it was one of the reasons he was recruited...his offensive pressure....he'll need to get onto that before it becomes a bad habit.
4. Owies was quiet for most of the day but, like Durdin, they bring the forward pressure and chipped in for handy goals. Durdin's pace is fantastic.
5. Sitting behind the goals and saw Stocker give it to Ginnivan quite a few times....love the way he goes about it. His kicking can let him down at times but he's got that mongrel in him that we don't really have from any other small/medium defenders. Ginnivan got one of those soft high tackle frees early on but he looked a bit gun-shy knowing Stocker was trying to line him up.
6. Dow got quite a bit of the footy but there must be a distinct difference between VFL and AFL because he didn't get any time and decision making and kicking were poor. If Kennedy is right in a couple of weeks, I'm not sure he holds his spot.

We are truly cursed on the injury front. As others have suggested, we can only hope to pinch a few games in the next 5-6 weeks to try and shore up a spot in the finals and then hope like hell that the likes of McKay, Weitering, Pittonet, Marchbank/McGovern, Williams etc are back in the last few weeks of the season.

You and me are the jinxs Surfie, yesterday was my first game. Im not going anymore just in case.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
I was at the game yesterday, we seemed to be a little nervous/ star struck at times. Not sure if it was the large crowd or that the players started thinking we cannot afford to lose this game instead of trying to win. we started to look for leadings players in the last (which we did not seem to do for the first 3 qtrs). Anyway, I see this a a positive, last year we would of been rolled by 35 to 40 but we kept coming. A defender, a defender, my membership for a defender :)

Reply #63
Cottrell was playing on the same wing as sidebottom but he was flooding back into the undermanned defence obviously by instruction. 

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #64
Its funny how despite all our injuries last year, it was Teagues fault.

We have next to none at the start of this year, we are top 4.

We start having some more and suddenly standards drop again.
What happened to Melbourne should be the gold star example of "its not the coach".

I'm happy with Voss and what he has been able to do.
I'm happier that we've had a good run with our perennially injured players Charlie, Doc....and fingers crossed on Marchbank.

Are we a top 4 side?
Depends on our injuries.

I dont buy into Teague being a root cause of issues last year, but we are playing much better footy, have had a bout of covid go through the team, and have utilised as many players so far this season, as we have any other year we have been riddled with injuries.

Not sure that its even worth discussing, and Teague had the benefit of Liam Jones in All Australian Form for the whole season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
A disappointing result. Could have won it in the end but probably didn't deserve it. It was a pity the umpires didn't pay the free to Walsh. It would have led to the mass suicide of Collingwood supporters and I would have liked to see that, especially after they went the early crow at the twenty minute mark of the last quarter. While the free kick was probably there I would have thought it was pretty soft and it would have been one of those free kicks that when given frustrates most supporters.
I said last week that Collingwood depends on their midfield and when Weitering went down it meant that  De Konning had to play down back and meant that Cripps had to move into a followers position rather than his bull at the contest position. Which in turn let Collingwood do better at the contest.
The end of the second quarter and the end of the last quarter showed that Carlton at its best is as good as anybody. The lack of key personel means that other players are getting an opportunity. Injuries were a big part of Teagues downfall but I think we have more depth this year and Voss has clearly got the playing group playing with more confidence and belief.
While it would be good to have Martin, Kennedy, Williams, McKay, Pittonet, McGovern/Marchbank and Cuningham, and it would be good not to lose Weitering midway through the first quarter, the fact that the players fought it out when in the past they probably would have packed up and we would have lost by five plus goals.
I have been watching the tennis and they have a stat called unforced errors. The amount of unforced errors Carlton makes each week is appalling. If you can't pass the ball to your team mate then you don't have a game plan. What you have is a group of individuals trying to win on ability allone. Silvagni playing on when he wasn't clear, Carrol being run down and playing when he was out of bounds, poor kicks, poor decsions and hand passing to team mates when they are under pressure is our biggest problem. It cast us four or five goals against Collingwood plus hundreds of meters gained as well as momentum, particularly in the last quarter when we lost the ball on the wing just as we were getting on top.
It is a long time since Carlton improved in the second half of the season. This is the challenge.

Reply #66
As good as Charlie is, when he is the only tall forward target and we predictably bomb it long to him he gets 2 or 3 opponents. What if we kick to empty space in the forward line where our speedy small forwards have a chance to run onto it and share it around?