Skip to main content
Topic: Carbon Emissions (Read 12372 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carbon Emissions

Reply #18
I remember reading somewhere that per person we were a big culprit and although we don't pollute at the same level as other nations we rank poorly on average.

Could be bs, and I'm confident that the more population the easier to dilute the numbers but there you go.

That is true I believe.

But I have also read that some reports allegedly make a deliberate effort to make us look worse by allocating the emissions and energy consumption from processing our exports, e.g. coal, iron ore, bauxite and uranium back to Australia! A weird sort of closed cycle analysis that doubles the penalty by counting the user and the source. But I also understand that if the same analysis is applied equally to all countries China is five time more polluting than any other country.

But the green lobby don't want to talk about this, they hold up China's renewable energy boom as a gold standard. Yet despite being able to claim they are the world's leader in total renewable energy resources, which I believe is true, as a percentage of China's total energy budget lowly renewable sources(excluding hydro) don't even rate on China's energy graph.(Effectively zero by percentage.) It's all smoke and mirrors and the world is too gutless to state it, plus many have the not in my backyard mentality but pollution does not respect a fence!

China gets it's rating because of the three dams project, which provides many gigawatts and in total they get a large percentage from hydro, yet internally it is being shouted down as a failure due to the massive irreversible environmental damage it is doing.(Not green at all, renewable does not necessarily mean green) They also say that within 20 years those dams will have lost up to 60% of the generating capacity due to silt accumulation, the projects glowing reports are a bogus accounting exercise because the economic and environmental costs will never be re-couped before the dams are clogged and worthless. Someone's children or grandchildren will pay for this!

There are lies, damn lies and then there are stats!

We are not leaving a planet for the children, we are borrowing/stealing the future from our grandchildren!

...and there you have it. That pretty much sums it up, Spotted One.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19

Reply #21
If you guys knew anything about Science you'd know that most of that pollution is coming from Australia.

Hot air rises you dills :P  ;D

don't agree, abbott told me the earth is flat

He was told that by the invisible man in the sky with the long white beard that he talks to, you know, the really old bloke who IS the suppository of all knowledge.  8)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
The country is run by the COAL-ition - expect plenty of carbon emissions!  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
You have to worry when the UK conservatives start getting stuck into the Suppository of All Wisdom for his denial of climate change.

I was quite inspired by the enormous growth in renewable energy generation witnessed during my recent trip to Europe but then I came home to our "coal is the future" debacle  >:( 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
You have to worry when the UK conservatives start getting stuck into the Suppository of All Wisdom for his denial of climate change.

I was quite inspired by the enormous growth in renewable energy generation witnessed during my recent trip to Europe but then I came home to our "coal is the future" debacle  >:(

Agreed mate. Even if you aren't a science buff and don't find it cool in it's own right, the country's potential to be a world leader in renewable energy solutions and generation..thd smart young kids and start up who leave to places like Germany and California where they are welcomed..it is so sad. Beholden to the mining industry, the coalition is pathetic. When you look at the wealth that mining actually creates.. dear me.
Keep the Faith

Reply #25
Take the thread to the muppet bin ... 

Global warming !!!  What an absolute farce !!! 

Jo Nova  8)

The only warming is in Carrots bed.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #26
If you are driving on a gun barrel straight highway at night at speed and your headlights fail you are in the dark, maybe there is a little moonlight at best.

You can assume you are driving in a straight line, that nothing has moved in your way and that all will be OK to keep going full speed, but who would do that? Nobody other than a fool is probably the truthful answer!

All this for or against anthropic climate change debate is bogus because nobody can tell the future, the only people arguing against action are those with a financial stake in the debate. Paid naysayers, oil, gas and coal providers, not even the car industry that the oil companies built listen to that right wing lot now. The car industry is full steam ahead carbon neutral!

Maybe the science sheds a little moonlight on the issue, but not enough to be a 100% certain, science will never claim a 100% certainty and anybody who thinks it should doesn't understand the scientific method. In science anyone who claims a 100% certainty is a fool!

You wouldn't drive in the dark at full speed, and not doing anything to reduce potential anthropic climate change is driving in the dark at full speed and refusing to stop or slow. Nobody knows what is ahead, and the only intelligent action is to stop or slow!

Safe driving BigJack, or is it Major T.J. "King" Kong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
All this for or against anthropic climate change debate is bogus because nobody can tell the future, the only people arguing against action are those with a financial stake in the debate.

You can also add those that would have benefited from selling and trading carbon credits. They also have a financial stake.

My 0.02c worth is whether you believe or don't believe in climate change in a country such as ours it's makes sense to use renewable energies like solar and in a country that is drought ridden we must preserve the precious water that we have. Looking after the environment is something we should all do for no other reason than it's the right thing to do and not doing it simply leaves a mess for future generations to clean up and that's not right. We should look after our natural environment and celebrate it as a gift that provides us with foods from land and sea, we should allow mining but it must be responsible and the excesses of the past must stop and anything that reduces pollution and ensures we have clean air to breathe should be pursued if for no other reason than it's nicer to live in a place like that  - have a look at China if you want a comparison of what a polluted world can look like.

I don't believe applying taxes that simply get on-handed to consumers is the answer nor do I believe trading credits in virtual hot air will have any real benefit. I am not sure of the answer in it's entirety but I do take heart from the fact that car manufacturers are now concerned about a drop off in sales for future generations who are now questioning whether they need one. If that's the case then perhaps the answer is in education where the kids of tomorrow shame the adults of today and we collectively feel we have to do something and thus change occurs. Could a Government and business less social revolution actually be the answer and essentially they decide what gets delivered?

Fascinating next decade in front of us.

Reply #29
All this for or against anthropic climate change debate is bogus because nobody can tell the future, the only people arguing against action are those with a financial stake in the debate.

You can also add those that would have benefited from selling and trading carbon credits. They also have a financial stake.

My 0.02c worth is whether you believe or don't believe in climate change in a country such as ours it's makes sense to use renewable energies like solar and in a country that is drought ridden we must preserve the precious water that we have. Looking after the environment is something we should all do for no other reason than it's the right thing to do and not doing it simply leaves a mess for future generations to clean up and that's not right. We should look after our natural environment and celebrate it as a gift that provides us with foods from land and sea, we should allow mining but it must be responsible and the excesses of the past must stop and anything that reduces pollution and ensures we have clean air to breathe should be pursued if for no other reason than it's nicer to live in a place like that  - have a look at China if you want a comparison of what a polluted world can look like.

I don't believe applying taxes that simply get on-handed to consumers is the answer nor do I believe trading credits in virtual hot air will have any real benefit. I am not sure of the answer in it's entirety but I do take heart from the fact that car manufacturers are now concerned about a drop off in sales for future generations who are now questioning whether they need one. If that's the case then perhaps the answer is in education where the kids of tomorrow shame the adults of today and we collectively feel we have to do something and thus change occurs. Could a Government and business less social revolution actually be the answer and essentially they decide what gets delivered?

Fascinating next decade in front of us.

I agree whole-heartedly with your general comments.

In regards to the kids of tomorrow many have already got it covered, they have no doubt about who to blame for the lack of affordable housing, damage to the environment and failing economies. The problem is the people to blame are the people currently in power, and leaving it to the educated kids of tomorrow to sort out is in my opinion a recipe for anarchy.

The bastards that have put us in this mess do not give a stuff! Have a look at the current Victorian Election, the primary debate is about building more roads, new hospitals, schools, major projects, these people are dinosaurs and Luddites offering 19th century solutions! They sell off the countries future for the short term hit from the political sugar. There's a raft of reports circulating that suggest it's the small improvements that deliver the greatest returns, yet both parties want the big stuff, the blue sky billion dollar front page of the newspaper hits. They don't really want to make things better, what they really want are the billion dollars cheques to deliver them some sort of weird political legacy!

Wealthy Chinese view countries like Australia as a long term destination, a place to go once they a have rooted their own country! Lets hope they don't repeat the exercise when they take political control here, they are already quickly owning the joint, and Abbott's just made it easier to buy and pollute!
The Force Awakens!