Skip to main content
Topic: COVID Reminiscing (Read 4416 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: COVID Reminiscing

Reply #30
Mario Milano, Spiros Arion, Big Bad John, Ron Miller, Mark Lewin, King Curtis .... LOVED that stuff. 
Larry O'Dea, Killer Karl Kox, Killer Kowalski, Abdallah the Butcher ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Talking about the old days, I was talking to the kids about my childhood lunch at schools. Here's me at Primary School in the 70s  with half a split vienna bread with some sort of salumi in it, Italian cheese, lettuce, olives, the whole hog. After years of being taunted about my woggy lunches by the Aussies, they were eventually smart enough to realise it was the ducks guts. They  would come up to me asking me if I wanted to swap lunches, I'd always look at their lunches and say "no thanks". ;D
This is another true story, my wife and her twin sister went to a Primary School just down the street from their house. Her loopy Nonna used to go there at lunch time, call them over from the fence, whip out the caffettiera (Italian perculator) and two espresso cups from under the cardigan and give them coffee. Dead set fact. :D

Classic.

Loving these stories and insights.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Larry O'Dea, Killer Karl Kox, Killer Kowalski, Abdallah the Butcher ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Holy mackerel... just pictured them all! Black and white teev, Jack Little commentating...

Always felt sorry for Larry O'Dea... nice guy, always beaten.

Reply #34
Waldo von Erich called Mario Milano a "spaghetti muncher" one Sunday.  That got the studio audience riled.  :)

Reply #35
Loved the interviews with Skull Murphy and Brute Bernard... Jack Little was so theatrical, he'd lean back as if the interviewee could lose it at any moment.
Haystacks Calhoun is another I remember.

Reply #36
Two of best mates parents are from south of Trieste, a town called Pola (called Pula now as it belongs to Croatia). I was in Trieste very briefly in January this year, gorgeous place. One day I intend to spend alot more time holidaying in that neck of the woods. The Triestini, as do most Northern Italians, sure as hell love their grappa. Lets just say my mates have continued their parents traditions. My old man was from Umbria so wine and salumi were more his go. I have continued with that along with my wifes Calabrian influences.

Can I just say, this non footy talk certainly provides a different slant or insight on people's backgrounds. When the discussion is all footy, footy, Carlton, Carlton, I actually forget I'm dealing with humans from a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds and experiences. Love it.
Yes, somewhere back a few generations I'm part Pola, in fact on one line our family name is Pola which we always thought was the North / North East. Also oddly it seems we have a bit of the South and Sicily in there with not much across the middle, so I don't know how North meet South. Although I've since learned of a Pola family line from Sardegna, so maybe somewhere the lines are crossed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Yep, I'm from English/German/Irish roots and it was meat and 3 veg plus a Roast every Sunday with homemade Apple Pie/Crumble and cream and the leftover meat in your Sangers on a Monday. Pies, Pasties,Snag rolls, Jam Donuts all washed down with Creamy Soda or a Sars was the fair for school lunch. The odd ham and salad roll  plus Sunnyboys and Raz to cool your jets when it was summer .Not exactly a smorgasbord of culture or health....
Maggots in cheese?....Blue Vein threw me out for years, who eats mouldy smelly cheese?....
Nothing wrong with that, bought some Danish blue a day or two back, wanted Gorgonzola but while restrictions are on they wouldn't cut a fresh wheel for someone only wanting a small wedge.

My Grandpa's side is English, Irish, Welsh and French, with Grandma's side mostly Italian, so a bit of a mix of meat with potatoes (gratin!) and a glass of Barolo! Farmers, GrandPa grew everything, and everything came out of his paddocks, pens or garden. You name it, beef, lamb, pork, chicken, duck, goat, fish from the river, any and every sort of vegetable, fruit or spice you can imagine. All the food prepared and cooked fresh by GrandMa, from scratch, nothing came from a tin or packet, they even ground the wheat, barley and oats. Milked their own cows, made their own yogurt, ice cream, etc., etc.. Bread, cakes, all from scratch.

GrandPa made his own wine, in huge 6ft diameter barrels he made himself, six of them lined up in a hand dug underground cellar below his workshop, he was also the local blacksmith. Made his own brandy and port, probably the only thing he didn't make was beer because he didn't drink it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Waldo von Erich called Mario Milano a "spaghetti muncher" one Sunday.  That got the studio audience riled.  :)
In the primary school days with my mates and I would go to Mario Milano's Pizza shop after school, he had a deal to make us individual small pizza's on the cheap as an after school snack. he was getting on then, a bit fatter, but he was still making the odd appearance of WCW looking a little "comfortable"!

When he was in town, Brut Bernard use to hang around Mario's shop, I think he was also a Canadian of French / Italian mix, he and Mario seemed to get on very well with some of that correction fluid mentioned earlier!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
In the primary school days with my mates and I would go to Mario Milano's Pizza shop after school, he had a deal to make us individual small pizza's on the cheap as an after school snack. he was getting on then, a bit fatter, but he was still making the odd appearance of WCW looking a little "comfortable"!

When he was in town, Brut Bernard use to hang around Mario's shop, I think he was also a Canadian of French / Italian mix, he and Mario seemed to get on very well with some of that correction fluid mentioned earlier!
Jack Little's wife lived over the road from us when I was a little kid in Box Hill Sth, think they were split but Jack would come around and always have one of the wrestlers in the front seat of his car. Remember Jack squeezing into the car which was a wide Holden of sorts and there would be zero room for Jack to operate the car and this huge body next to him taking up all the room on a bench seat. His Mrs was a funny woman, she liked a tipple and would always appear semi naked with her underwear only in the driveway yelling and screaming at Jack when he left in the car ...

Reply #40

Where was the pizza shop LP? He had one in High St Thornbury for while. He gave up the pizza shops I believe and went to work driving a forklift in a factory for Schiavello Office Interiors / Prima Office Furniture.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
Jack Little's wife lived over the road from us when I was a little kid in Box Hill Sth, think they were split but Jack would come around and always have one of the wrestlers in the front seat of his car. Remember Jack squeezing into the car which was a wide Holden of sorts and there would be zero room for Jack to operate the car and this huge body next to him taking up all the room on a bench seat. His Mrs was a funny woman, she liked a tipple and would always appear semi naked with her underwear only in the driveway yelling and screaming at Jack when he left in the car ...

Another classic! Lovin' these anecdotes.