Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45118 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #180
I can’t see how removing Gibbs automatically strengthens our midfield, without doubt our starting midfield is weaker without him.
I think where we do gain is that we will bat deeper, our rotations are stronger because of what we were able to get in return for Gibbs.

As for improving the likes of Kerridge, well that’s the holy grail isn’t it ?
If you can turn B graders into B+ then you’re well on the way to deep September action.
The trick is to be able to do it...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #181
I can’t see how removing Gibbs automatically strengthens our midfield, without doubt our starting midfield is weaker without him.
I think where we do gain is that we will bat deeper, our rotations are stronger because of what we were able to get in return for Gibbs.

As for improving the likes of Kerridge, well that’s the holy grail isn’t it ?
If you can turn B graders into B+ then you’re well on the way to deep September action.
The trick is to be able to do it...

Kerridge does not really impact games imo - very untidy footballer with suspect disposal. I don't know how that could be turned around tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #182
Kerridge does not really impact games imo - very untidy footballer with suspect disposal. I don't know how that could be turned around tbh.

Basically Robbo by another name.

Reply #183

What makes some footballers fixable and others not?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184

His disposal in the last handful of games was excellent - indeed, better disposal efficiency, considerably, than Gibbs.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #185
His disposal in the last handful of games was excellent - indeed, better disposal efficiency, considerably, than Gibbs.

Took him long enough. Let's see if he can keep it up - it'll be a bonus if he can.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #186
Blue4Life reckons Gibbs would have walked at the end of 2018. I don't think that's how the scenario would have worked. Gibbs has been very committed to Carlton, more than some on this site were committed to him. I think an extension would have been added to his contract so we would have kept a strong bargaining position. Losing Gibbs and Docherty is a big blow. Basically we have lost two of our best five players from 2017 so our progress will be hampered. I think we have recruited well whereby we have broadened our depth of players who will be able to make a regular contribution this year and improve the teams output, but lost a bit at the front end of our player group.
what I want is for us to better against Brisbane, North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Fremantle, who were down with us, as well as Collingwood and Hawthorn who I cannot see improving. If we can get a few more wins against these sides, get some wins against the mid range sides, St.Kilda, Melbourne, WCE, Essendon, and maybe win a couple against the better clubs, we may get 7 to 10 wins for the seasons.
That is my outcome expectations, what my process expectations is more goals, better and more consistent performance by those who have been on our list for a couple of seasons, a bit more flow in our game and no games where we are uncompetitive.

Reply #187
Blue4Life reckons Gibbs would have walked at the end of 2018. I don't think that's how the scenario would have worked. Gibbs has been very committed to Carlton, more than some on this site were committed to him. I think an extension would have been added to his contract so we would have kept a strong bargaining position. Losing Gibbs and Docherty is a big blow. Basically we have lost two of our best five players from 2017 so our progress will be hampered. I think we have recruited well whereby we have broadened our depth of players who will be able to make a regular contribution this year and improve the teams output, but lost a bit at the front end of our player group.
what I want is for us to better against Brisbane, North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Fremantle, who were down with us, as well as Collingwood and Hawthorn who I cannot see improving. If we can get a few more wins against these sides, get some wins against the mid range sides, St.Kilda, Melbourne, WCE, Essendon, and maybe win a couple against the better clubs, we may get 7 to 10 wins for the seasons.
That is my outcome expectations, what my process expectations is more goals, better and more consistent performance by those who have been on our list for a couple of seasons, a bit more flow in our game and no games where we are uncompetitive.

Or others will step up.....

We beat Sydney, GWS and Essendon in 2017 - all finalists. Beat PA and nearly the Cokers....

And very rarely got smashed. We need some luck with injuries (apologies to Doc).

The Tigers were remarkably lucky with injuries in their run to the flag.

I think Doc going down won'y hurt us at all, no disrespect to him. others can and will step up.

Gibbs - meh, imo. Only turned up largely when he felt like it imo.

On his day a ripper player,but too often happy to rest on his laurels.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #188
My best 22 would be along the lines of:

B: Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
Hb: Plowman, Weitering, Simpson
C: Lang, Cripps, Petrevski-Seton
Hf: Garlett, C.Curnow, Pickett
F: Wright, Casboult, Fisher
Foll: Kreuzer, Kennedy
Rov: Murphy
I/c: J.Silvagni, Dow, Cuningham, E.Curnow
Emerg: Lamb, McKay, Mullett

Reply #189
I like it Pratty though I'd like to have ACoS in there somewhere as he adds some real toughness....

Very pacy forward line and as we know kicking to Casboult he rarely loses a marking contest so if the ball hits the deck....

O'Brien looms as a chance ahead of either Cuners or Lamb.

And what of the mullett?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #190
No assumptions...Rockliff was offered a 4 year deal by Port at a touch over 2.8 mill, we beat Brisbane's initial offer which was 550k a season but were never going to beat the Port offer. The finals angle was part BS IMO, he went for the extra dough as the major factor, he was looking for 800k last time his manager shopped him around....
We have had a recent history of offering unders...Smith went for the extra money at Essendon and then pulled the better rehab facilities story out....Bombers also paid overs for Stringer to get him..
Players go for the big dollars unless its a no hoper club like North doing the offering and coached by an ego maniac like Brad Scott...then they think twice...

So EB you have those details as fact on what we offered and what Port offered?
You also have as fact that Essendon offered more than we did?
I am not saying this is impossible, I am saying I find it very unlikely that people on the forum here are privy to enough detail to determine what our final offers were.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #191
B Simpson Jones Marchbank
HB OShea Weitering Plowman
C Fisher Cripps Mullet
HF J.Silvagni C.Curnow SPS
F Wright Casboult Pickett

Foll: Kreuzer Kennedy
Rov Murphy

Int Garlett, Lang, Williamson, McKay

Reply #192
I am not saying this is impossible, I am saying I find it very unlikely that people on the forum here are privy to enough detail to determine what our final offers were.

I totally agree MIO. You would never know what clubs offer.  The media wouldn't neccessarily know either.

Reply #193
From an old AFL post:

The 2km Time Trial
What should you run

5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow)
6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player (Billy Hartung/Sam Gibson/Bradley Hill/Johnny Rayner/Patrick Ambrose/Tom Scully)
6:16 - 6:30 min = Slightly Better than average AFL Standard (Jamie Macmillan/Dan Hannebury/Ben McEvoy/Liam Shiels)

O'Brien ran 6.12 at the combine and will only get faster....elite already!

And a wicked left foot.

Granted there's more to footy than running but not a bad start for a kid who can play the gaME TOO!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #194

Was published in the Herald Sun what Port offered Rockliff, also Damian Barrett quoted our offer as better than Brisbanes on trade radio but less than Port.
The Trade Whisperer aka two phones Tony also had Port offering more than us......
I dont have fact on the Essendon offer with Smith or Saad but they were throwing big some big money around ie Stringer....Smith was ours at one stage but then Essendon
entered the bidding war and it all changed with Smith saying Essendon had the better rehab facilities which I read as BS and joined the dots that they offered more in light of the fact we have been
offering unders generally and the Bombers had overpaid for Stringer.....common knowledge the Bombers offered way more than Geelong and Stringer who was set to go to Geelong initially was swayed by the bigger money and closer location to his kids...
We have a history of offering unders and the Bombers were on a spending spree given Dodoro was under pressure to land players and was out to refute the fact the Bombers were not a destination club and who were not trade friendly.
They didnt land those players because their massage tables were more comfy than ours or Worsfold is a super coach.....I think its fair to presume the money was a big factor and in Stringers case was fact....