Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45099 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #195
I totally agree MIO. You would never know what clubs offer.  The media wouldn't necessarily know either.

There would be plenty in the media who would have the exact range of figures, because clubs and managers leak like sieves trying to get the better of each other.

Then players get on the turps and tell their mates, who get on the turps and tell their mates, etc., etc., etc..

Finally, most players have financial advisers, loans and lines of credit for investments, and those people get on the turps and leaks like sieves as well. It's just a matter of knowing who to ask and when. It's way too easy to get this info out there these days.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #196
On field success and playing finals is also important for many.

I reckon players are like home buyers. There's a few who are in it for the long haul, who want to get their hands dirty, and renovate from the ground up. But most want the hard work done for them - they want one of those "not a cent to spend" jobbies.

Reply #198
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-leaders-in-every-category-in-2017

2 of the 3 Carlton players on that list are Doch and Gibbs.

What do I expect from the club ? Less than I did 5 minutes ago.

Sigh

All that means is that other players have the opportunity to step up ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #199
All that means is that other players have the opportunity to step up ...

No doubt, and I hope they grab those opportunities with both hands. We need so much stepping up we could open a Bunnings.

Reply #200
No doubt, and I hope they grab those opportunities with both hands. We need so much stepping up we could open a Bunnings.

Not necessarily Paul. 

Have a look at the categories our players led in.  Do we really want to be the best at kicking backwards?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #201
I expect a rapid rise up the ladder without excuse!

We've hung some pretty good coaches over the last 1-1/2 decades without any regard for injuries or external influences.

BB should not get any slack, he's no longer a 1st year coach, if he was a player he'd be coming up for contract renewal and would have to show progress and form to earn a contract.

I know it's cold, but it's reality!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #202

We've hung some pretty good coaches over the last 1-1/2 decades without any regard for injuries or external influences.

BB should not get any slack, he's no longer a 1st year coach, if he was a player he'd be coming up for contract renewal and would have to show progress and form to earn a contract.

I thought the whole point of the "new Carlton" was to learn from past mistakes and avoid them, in all areas, including sacking / appointments of coaches. I'd be extremely disappointed if Bolton starts to wear serious heat in his 3rd year. We're still miles off the pace.

I've said this before - has the "old Carlton" cancer been excised, or is it simply laying dormant ?

Reply #203

I expect the same thing, i'm just not sure if it will be this year.

....or at least not from R1.

Reply #204
None of us us really know, BB included.

How many of thw young blokes will take that 'next step' in becoming very good to elite players consistently?

Who knows, but there are truly plenty who could....

Charlie, SPS, Weiters, Plow, Marchbank, Dow, Pickett, Garlett, Harry Mc, Kennedy and (even) Lang can all become wow players....

And no doubt I've overlooked a few eg Willo.....

After all, Crippa exploded onto the scene at age 20.

How many 'go bang' will determine where we finish.

One certainty is that those who could go bang, in number, exceeds most clubs.

So Paul P, no we aren't that far off it.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #205

How many of thw young blokes will take that 'next step' in becoming very good to elite players consistently?

Charlie, SPS, Weiters, Plow, Marchbank, Dow, Pickett, Garlett, Harry Mc, Kennedy and (even) Lang can all become wow players....

Agree FB. We seem to have a lot of latent talent on board now and we could just see the beginnings of something really special next year. I'm quietly quite excited about it tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #206

It would be great if all those players became guns but the reality is we will be doing well if half of them do.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #207

It's not cold or reality it's just screwing stupid.
What we did in the last decade and half was a complete and utter waste of money and time.
Who would be stupid enough to repeat it, just because it has happened before, and with zero success.
I don't know whether BB will make it, but it's way to early to tell.
We have just lost 2 of our senior players, and already had a very young side.
I presume common sense will prevail

Reply #208
It would be great if all those players became guns but the reality is we will be doing well if half of them do.

Absolutely
That would put us well above average development if half of those players went on to become guns.
But it is nice to still dream about the possibilities :D
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #209

flyboy, your enthusiasm and optimism for the current regime appears to emanate from a well that never runs dry. In a way I wish I was more like you. But I simply don't see it. A team that finishes 14th and 16th, with 2 great senior players gone or out injured, with a whole bunch of kids who got of nappies 5 minutes ago, is, IMO, a team that is miles away. Latent potential is precisely that. Nothing more, and nothing less. There's nothing that I can see that indicates we will move up the ladder much next season. But I remain, as always, hopeful.