Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 23638 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #15
Petracca, Oliver, Hogan, etc., etc., are all about 187cm or taller and 85-90kg, and their small mids are rock hard like Viney.
The went out of their way to get big mids, we didnt........thats a recruiting mistake...

Reply #16
Well perhaps it's time to give Jack a go in the guts....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18
Definitely!

Not this week, he'll get monstered and look rubbish resulting in a permanent call being made on that experiment unjustly.

We have to start looking after the kids as priority one, not throwing them in the deep end and seeing which ones drown!

If you want go down this survival of the fittest route, then you need to enact a very different draft strategy, you need to draft footballers not athletes. Guys like Kane Lambert and Mitch Robinson are the ones who thrive in adversity, we cut or ignore those guys.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Time to give Dow a break.

Matt Shaw can't be worse than blancmange Mullet,  likewise Weeters for Capt Useless OShea.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
If Garlett doesn't get dropped I will lose the little bit of faith I have left in this current coaching group.

Jogs around the outside of the play guarding space and does what he can to avoid getting involved. Refuses to use his one advantage in his pace. Put simply offers SFA week in week out. Cant see him outlasting his current contract.

Reckon our club would learn to resist in taking these late picks on these sorts of players that 17 other teams say no to.

Mullet, O'Shea and Garlett might cost little but they take a spot on the list and then the club tries to justify be playing them when they are not up to it.

Reply #21
If Garlett doesn't get dropped I will lose the little bit of faith I have left in this current coaching group.

Jogs around the outside of the play guarding space and does what he can to avoid getting involved. Refuses to use his one advantage in his pace. Put simply offers SFA week in week out. Cant see him outlasting his current contract.

Reckon our club would learn to resist in taking these late picks on these sorts of players that 17 other teams say no to.

Mullet, O'Shea and Garlett might cost little but they take a spot on the list and then the club tries to justify be playing them when they are not up to it.

Jarrod Garlett is a low risk high reward player.  Hes a former first round draftee, with good tools to play the game, and would absolutely look good in a side such as Hawthorn where everyone is much more polished and is experienced.

Mullet was an insurance pickup who was likely to play more VFL footy than not, in case someone went down injured and we needed some outside run.  Unfortunately, hes playing off half back in a role that Docherty was playing so much better last season, and is actually not playing too poorly, he just isnt very good when contrasted with Docherty.

O Shea got a chance off hard work, and good form in the VFL.  Irrespective of how he works out on our list, the fact that he got the rewards makes the Northern Blues an attractive destination for AFL blokes looking for a second chance, and although he might not be a success story for us, it could pay dividends in other players.

I think that the emotion of yesterdays game leaves us not thinking critically about things, and looking too much at the johnny come lately outcomes, and not enough on the bigger picture which is far more important.  We have faced a bit of a perfect storm this season, but the reality is that it was much more likely to occur than not given just how badly we have been hit with injuries to too many key performers.

We made the decision to trade Gibbs, which was always going to put a bit of a strain on our team to survive, but its absolutely doesnt help that the two mature mids we traded in that have a good long term outlook in Lang and Kennedy have been broken men this season, Docherty went down injured, and Kreuzer has gone back to his old self where he takes two steps forward and then three back thanks to being physically hindered.

We need to have a better grasp on where we are at than this or else we just are firing out criticism for no good reason.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Jarrod Garlett is a low risk high reward player.  Hes a former first round draftee, with good tools to play the game, and would absolutely look good in a side such as Hawthorn where everyone is much more polished and is experienced.

Who cares where he was drafted at. I can list countless first round picks that fail. His draft selection should be a minor factor in whether you select a guy that has been delisted by another struggling club.  And If he would look so good at Hawthorn why did they and 16 other teams pass on him?

My point is these sorts of players take spots on a list and with such a low chance of working out why not retain players like Holman and Gowers instead of selecting hacks that 17 other clubs passed on with their very late picks. 

Mullet was delisted by the team that won the spoon last year.  Doesn't that tell us something.

Love to know how many goal Mullet and O'Shea concede from frees. Clueless, clumsy players that cost us with stupid rookie frees every week.

Reply #23
Who cares where he was drafted at. I can list countless first round picks that fail. His draft selection should be a minor factor in whether you select a guy that has been de-listed by another struggling club.  And If he would look so good at Hawthorn why did they and 16 other teams pass on him?

I gather clubs were worried that he would pull the plug again if things got tough. He's a great sidekick player, we have a few too many who are happy to be the sidekick and not the front man. It's the old debate about having too many introverts not enough extroverts.

We made a huge mistake de-listing Robinson, his sins were trivial and we were bullied into it by the media and a has-been coach that hated him! We took the weak option, and it shows in the way we play all too frequently! But we've debated this frequently, back when the club publicly potted Yarran for belting Chapman who deserved it, back when the media gloss over Hunt stomping on Betts fingers, apparently we are supposed to just wear the bullying, kidney punches and elbows in the back of the head and turn the other cheek while listening to the rest of the AFL cry if we strike back!

We will look much better if Pickett returns, hopefully with some form and confidence he's the type we need.

Despite what people think of Weitering he'll grow into an aggressive defender, because he has that sad-sack appearance people think he's an introvert when in fact he is the very opposite. Kerr works hard naturally and won't be bullied, likewise Charlie. They all just need to realise they are the intimidating ones, at the moment they are men with child like minds. McKay needs to develop the work ethic, because he has a natural aggression. They are only just learning how brutal AFL is, and that you either have to be a dog or get eaten!

De Koning will be something special, given time to develop without being beaten down, he is a 200 gamer!

The ones I'm not confident in are Marchbank, SPS, Mullet, O'Shea and Garlett. The tell is they can be ferocious tacklers but they won't wear a tackle to draw in an opponent and by a team-mate space, instead they sell team-mates into trouble getting rid of the football like a hot potato to be bruise free ball users. They are the opposite of Fisher, that kid could go right past Cripps and Docherty to become the next captain.

I like Kennedy's work on the inside, but he needs to get his injuries sorted and find way s to make himself durable. He's never going to be an outside player without us adding some genuine place around him, see Pickett!

A huge problem BB has at the moment, is the action on the field does not match the talk.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
I'm refusing to pay good money to see a backline of Plowman, O'Shea, Mullett. Honest VFL triers the lot of them. Putrid witches hats all year at AFL level. It was a shameful procession yesterday.

And why was Sav Rocca at the game yesterday ? Is Kerr another Casboult basket case ?  :-[ 

Get this year over and retire Simpson and Murphy. Bring on the future players Schumaker and TDK. Bulk them up starting now. Bulk up Cunningham and Polson.

On recruiting, it might be worth a dip at Peter Wright...he is battling a calf injury so he might be cheap this year. Would certainly give us some flexibility until TDK developed.

Reply #25
Not this week, he'll get monstered and look rubbish resulting in a permanent call being made on that experiment unjustly.

We have to start looking after the kids as priority one, not throwing them in the deep end and seeing which ones drown!

If you want go down this survival of the fittest route, then you need to enact a very different draft strategy, you need to draft footballers not athletes. Guys like Kane Lambert and Mitch Robinson are the ones who thrive in adversity, we cut or ignore those guys.

I call rubbish to all that. Monstered? Abnsolute soft BS.

Clayton Oliver - listed at 187cm, 84kg. 20 years, 9 months (old). 44 games.

SOJ -               listed at 191cm, 89kg.  20 years 5 months. 32 games.

So, who monsters whom?

Dow, well yes, needs a rest....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
Who cares where he was drafted at. I can list countless first round picks that fail. His draft selection should be a minor factor in whether you select a guy that has been delisted by another struggling club.  And If he would look so good at Hawthorn why did they and 16 other teams pass on him?

My point is these sorts of players take spots on a list and with such a low chance of working out why not retain players like Holman and Gowers instead of selecting hacks that 17 other clubs passed on with their very late picks. 

Mullet was delisted by the team that won the spoon last year.  Doesn't that tell us something.

Love to know how many goal Mullet and O'Shea concede from frees. Clueless, clumsy players that cost us with stupid rookie frees every week.

My point is, that I have already explained why. 

Shawny, its important, because it shows he was talented in his draft crop.  He was taken in amongst a bunch of blokes who cut us up on the weekend.  Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw and Jake Lever.  We spent pick 78 on him and needed outside run.  Hes given us a bit of that, and last week played pretty well.  This week, he wasnt the lone ranger in being poor. 

Holman was a handy player, we delisted a few years ago, because at the time, I am guessing he wanted to leave.  Its the only scenario that makes sense.  meanwhile, Gold Coast have picked him up when he was delisted from a spoon side. What makes him different?  Nothing.  Its the same proposition.  Hes working at the moment for Gold Coast, and ours arent quite working out as well, but ultimately have a look at the difference they make to their sides. 

Gold Coast are sitting 15th and have won 3 games.

We are sitting last and have won 1.

Gowers and his mates arent far ahead of us either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27

So, who monsters whom?

Maybe Jack can play and relieve Cripps so he can rest up a bit before we stuff him completely...I wouldnt play Jack and Cripps together in the middle as we would be very slow but introduce Jack slowly and see how he goes. I'm not convinced he is a midfielder but given our circumstances happy to trial him over 4- 5 games  and see how he goes.

Reply #28

So, who monsters whom?

What's last week and Clayton Oliver got to do with Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett and Blicavs this week?

SoJ should have played mid against Melbourne, but he'll be made look like a goose against Geelong!

SoJ could barely match it body on body with the Frankston mids two weeks back and they are school teachers and accountants, SoJ gets an A for effort but you have to be realistic and he is a dead-set beginner that you now want to go head to head with the best of the best in the land!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29

Or he could learn something mixing it with Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17