Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 23638 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
Maybe Jack can play and relieve Cripps so he can rest up a bit before we stuff him completely...I wouldnt play Jack and Cripps together in the middle as we would be very slow but introduce Jack slowly
and see how he goes. I'm not convinced he is a midfielder but given our circumstances happy to trial him over 4- 5 games  and see how he goes.

Agree. Bring him in to give Cripps a spell or two each quarter? Jack will obviously need to develop his tank over time but I believe he has the physicality to perform this role and we need relief there urgently.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
What's last week and Clayton Oliver got to do with Dangherfield, Selwood, Ablett and Blcsav?

The point is you don't hear Dees fans saying Oliver gets monstered and kept out of the guts.

And Selwood and Ablett are midgets next to Jack.

Both around 184cm, 84 kg.

Danger 189cm, 91kg. The tall fella - he's an aberration.

Tim Kelly - 183cm, 82kg.

Murdoch? 190cm, 87kg.

Your point?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
The point is you don't hear Dees fans saying Oliver gets monstered and kept out of the guts.

Tim Kelly - 183cm, 82kg.

Murdoch? 190cm, 87kg.

Your point?
You forget that our players get frees paid against them for contact, whilst the others can sit on our blokes and its play on.

melbournes two first goals yesterday were some of the softest "there" free kicks that I have ever seen.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33

Tim Kelly - 183cm, 82kg.

Murdoch? 190cm, 87kg.

Your point?

Yeah right.

FFS, Oliver and those listed above are all career midfielders, SoJ has been doing it for about two weeks!

Nearly all of them excluding Selwood could probably lap SoJ on a sprint around the oval, the least talented of the lot is probably Murdoch and he won a GF sprint. SoJ could go head to head with Selwood until Selwood snapped him in half or lead him into harms way for his mate Dangerfield to clean up! SoJ might have aerobic capacity and fitness to go with Selwood, most draftees do, but they don't have the endurance required to deal with collision after collision which drains the beginners rapidly.

I might not be a SoJ super-booster, I can't even say he's a favourite, but I'm at least prepared to give the kid a realistic opportunity and not deep fry him so early in his career. If he wants to be a mid, if they think he can be a mid, then give him some time to learn the craft! There are plenty of much better mids than him at VFL level without needing to put him to the stake on the big screen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Well perhaps it's time to give Jack a go in the guts....

Jack is 1000 miles away from being a big bodied midfielder, or a midfielder at all for that matter. He'd be on a hiding to nothing. Give him time to develop those skills if that's the direction we want him to go. Throw Kerridge and or Graham in the middle for the time being as a temporary and let Jack learn his craft. He'd get smashed this week, we'd all call it and him a failure and we'd be back to square one. We are not in any great hurry in 2018, so let's employ some 'strategic development' that has an eye on 2019 / 2020.

Reply #35
SoJ gets an A for effort but you have to be realistic and he is a dead-set beginner that you now want to go head to head with the best of the best in the land!

It's his third season, we need to ditch the mindset that players are babies until their mid 20's.
He'll learn more in one game playing against the Geelong midfield than he will in an entire season in the VFL.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #36
It's his third season, we need to ditch the mindset that players are babies until their mid 20's.
He'll learn more in one game playing against the Geelong midfield than he will in an entire season in the VFL.

I'd assert that as a mid he's more likely to have game or season ending collision with Cripps than learn much at all! ;)

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm also keen to be realistic.

If we want a big body with some midfield experience in the center, get captain chaos Liam Jones out of defense and have him do a midfield rotation against Blicavs. At least that'll give Cripps a chop out and Selwood and others will be wary of his physical presence! They won't just be able to spend the day having Blicavs slam Cripps and run off him at every opportunity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Jack is 1000 miles away from being a big bodied midfielder, or a midfielder at all for that matter. He'd be on a hiding to nothing. Give him time to develop those skills if that's the direction we want him to go. Throw Kerridge and or Graham in the middle for the time being as a temporary and let Jack learn his craft. He'd get smashed this week, we'd all call it and him a failure and we'd be back to square one. We are not in any great hurry in 2018, so let's employ some 'strategic development' that has an eye on 2019 / 2020.

The very thin (in terms of batting depth) and undersized Bombers' midfield just took apart from the much vaunted Cats' midfield....

No reason our boys can't too - with the right attitude!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Mollycoddling SOJ won't serve any useful purpose. He plays like a bloke who wants to be in the thick of it and this is a time when we can experiment a little and blood blokes into different positions.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
If we stick him in the middle and he gets made to look average I don't want to hear folks saying it was a dumb idea....and giving up on it.

Jack as a midfielder is an experiment in it's infancy.
I'd rather see it worked out in the VFL or selected games at senior level over the next twelve months.
The Geelong midfield was poor on the weekend...I doubt they'll be poor again...and that doesn't bode well for us.

If we do try it...do it in short bursts and rather than replacing Cripps at those times keep Cripps in there for a bit of guidance and direction.

Reply #40
Just on SEN and Andy Maher talking about SOS to the midfield. He reckons it's an option definitely being looked at by the club - no mention as to whether he may come in this week but early signs are encouraging. Not sure how he went in this week's NBs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
I'd assert that as a mid he's more likely to have game or season ending collision with Cripps than learn much at all! ;)

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm also keen to be realistic.

If we want a big body with some midfield experience in the center, get captain chaos Liam Jones out of defense and have him do a midfield rotation against Blicavs. At least that'll give Cripps a chop out and Selwood and others will be wary of his physical presence! They won't just be able to spend the day having Blicavs slam Cripps and run off him at every opportunity!

Lest we forget....scroll down to his 2015 draft review:

Silvagni’s name was pushed into the spotlight when he kicked six goals for Vic Metro against Western Australia in the under 18 championships this year. Silvagni converted his shots well inside 50 due to his great set shot technique, kicking 6.1 on the day, helping Vic Metro to a comfortable 74-point win.

Silvagni is considered a utility with his ability to play at both ends of the ground. He reads the play well, giving him the ability to position himself better when playing in defence, a role he has played on occasions this year. He also marks the ball well overhead, averaging 4.2 marks at the TAC Cup and 3.4 marks at the under 18 championships. At his school Xavier College, Silvagni has also played on-ball, showing his versatility to move around the ground in multiple positions.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/jack-silvagni/
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
The Geelong midfield was poor on the weekend...I doubt they'll be poor again...and that doesn't bode well for us.

Yes it hard to believe, people want us to put SoJ in the midfield for a trial against Geelong, in Geelong, the week after Geelong were unexpectedly smashed by an otherwise rubbish CheatsFC.

It reeks of desperation.

Are we or aren't we committed to the long game, this is a real test for our club?

Personally, the guys I'd be putting in the midfield are Kerridge, Graham, Jones, Plowman, O'Shea(Has played mid at VFL also) and making the inference their long future depends heavily on the outcome! I don't want us judging the kids by what happens against Geelong at Geelong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
If we stick him in the middle and he gets made to look average I don't want to hear folks saying it was a dumb idea....and giving up on it.

Jack as a midfielder is an experiment in it's infancy.
I'd rather see it worked out in the VFL or selected games at senior level over the next twelve months.

If we do try it...do it in short bursts and rather than replacing Cripps at those times keep Cripps in there for a bit of guidance and direction.

Cripps, Ed, Jack, Graham....thats as slow as treacle....and about as poor a kicking midfield going around....

Reply #44
Play Silvagni down back if we must, anyone but O'Shea.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.