Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 24062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #46
Cripps, Ed, Jack, Graham....thats as slow as treacle....and about as poor a kicking midfield going around....

He can't get a game because he's not the greatest kick and some of our other players are even worse.
We really are in trouble.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
He can't get a game because he's not the greatest kick and some of our other players are even worse.
We really are in trouble.

It's reality B4L, if I recall we talked about it as much in the Frankston Post game thread, the kid is not ready by a long way and people are desperate so they dribble sh1t as a solution!

For now, SoJ isn't the solution but that is not necessarily forever!

We need to put some heat on the older heads who are extending their careers at the expense of the youth, guys like Graham, Kerridge, Plowman, O'Shea, Mullett and we need to take some heat off the kids or we'll overcook them! Those four or five should be 4-Qtr midfield capable, they are not kids or newbies to AFL.

Another thing, in addition to the kicking and spread, as good as SoJ has been in the contest in the midfield at VFL level he goes to ground a lot, you can't do that at AFL level.

I want to revert to the Lions game at the weekend, every stoppage, every contest they did the right things, the sacrificial things. Shepherds, blocks, smoothers, 1%ers. We are almost amateurs in this regard!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
The likes of Kerridge, Mullet and O'Shea simply aren't good enough and never will be, they had ample chance to prove themselves before they even came to Carlton.
There's nothing to gain from persevering with them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #49
The likes of Kerridge, Mullet and O'Shea simply aren't good enough and never will be, they had ample chance to prove themselves before they even came to Carlton.
There's nothing to gain from persevering with them.

Except buying some time for kids to develop naturally, instead of burning the kids on the alter!

I know I bang on, but I fear fans just do not give enough credence to the mental damage that can be done to the kids long term by flogging them while they lack the strength and skills to overcome the adversity. It's too easy to say they must learn, but you just churn out a playing list full of Pavlov's Dogs if things go the wrong way! The little wins will be drowned out by the many losses, they'll be lost to Carlton and they will then leave and progress at some other club, the fresh start they need to remove the mental barriers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Except buying some time for kids to develop naturally, instead of burning the kids on the alter!

I know I bang on, but I fear fans just do not give enough credence to the mental damage that can be done to the kids long term by flogging them while they lack the strength and skills to overcome the adversity. It's too easy to say they must learn, but you just churn out a playing list full of Pavlov's Dogs if things go the wrong way! The little wins will be drowned out by the many losses, they'll be lost to Carlton and they will then leave and progress at some other club, the fresh start they need to remove the mental barriers.

I hear what you say, but surrounding them with hacks only teaches them bad habits and that mediocrity is acceptable, and if you're getting beaten by 109 points anyway I don't see the point of using c graders as cannon fodder.

Reply #51
I hear what you say, but surrounding them with hacks only teaches them bad habits and that mediocrity is acceptable, and if you're getting beaten by 109 points anyway I don't see the point of using c graders as cannon fodder.

I wouldn't surround them with the hacks.

I'd have the kids take a spell at VFL level and see if they can apply what they have been learning to get a few victories under their belt and build some confidence. Prove that what they are learning works and it's not all just a mirage, give them a chance to work through the problems without the scrutiny!

BB made a commitment at the start of th season, he sort of said kids won't be in and out of the side, that they would get a fair run. And he's done that, many of them have had a fair crack so far, they need a spell to collect their thoughts!

I think it's too easy for fans to think players have to be like Cripps, or even Fisher, they are not normal. I suspect Cripps would succeed in spite of our very best attempts to break him, Fisher is just a breath of fresh air. But honestly they are the 1 in a million types, most players are not like that!

It's time for the old blokes to do some hard labour, to deliver something. Against Geelong is as good an opportunity as any to find out who you keep and who you don't!

Actually I suspect we are talking about much the same thing, but from a different perspective.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Lambert was under our noses at the NB and we let him go. O'shea is probably on our list because it was feared he may be another Lambert. We were wrong.

Reply #53
Lambert was under our noses at the NB and we let him go. O'shea is probably on our list because it was feared he may be another Lambert. We were wrong.

We lost Docherty so the powers at be hedged their bets on Mullett and OShea...one cant contest and the other cant kick and both lack nous.....been a lose, lose, lose situation.....
OShea looked good in the NB's because he is a decent size and had way more time to kick the footy, played for the VFL state team and he looked good in most games...but his decision making and kicking which got him the boot from Port have come back to haunt him at senior footy where there is more pressure.

Lambert is a footballers footballer, contests well, does all the basics well but never had any standout weapons ie elite pace, marking, kicking etc and is just stock standard size....hence I think he was overlooked but his nous and decision making improved with Richmond and he made the grade and good on him....his running mate Adam Marcon who some saw as a better player didnt....

Reply #54

O'Shea isn't getting the same lose man role at AFL level, at VFL he was doing the intercept marking stuff that should be a backup for Marchbank or Weitering.

In my opinion, none of this will sort itself out until we have Jones out of D50, either in F50 or on the ball and guys like Williamson and Macreadie in. 3 years from now things will look very different as long as we don't break what we've got!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
O'Shea isn't getting the same lose man role at AFL level, at VFL he was doing the intercept marking stuff that should be a backup for Marchbank or Weitering.

In my opinion, none of this will sort itself out until we have Jones out of D50, either in F50 or on the ball and guys like Williamson and Macreadie in. 3 years from now things will look very different as long as we don't break what we've got!

OShea's problem is when he does take an intercept mark the ball usually goes straight back to the opposition.......
Agree on Jones...I'd run him around the ground like Geelong do with Blicavs as that old fashioned follower where he can take a few ruck contests, drop back take some marks but also drift forward.
Williamson has been a massive loss on top of Docherty...cool heads both of them and they use the ball well.....Jones, Mullet and OShea is like having three chooks with no heads running around on the ground....

Reply #56
OShea's problem is when he does take an intercept mark the ball usually goes straight back to the opposition.......
Agree on Jones...I'd run him around the ground like Geelong do with Blicavs as that old fashioned follower where he can take a few ruck contests, drop back take some marks but also drift forward.
Williamson has been a massive loss on top of Docherty...cool heads both of them and they use the ball well.....Jones, Mullet and OShea is like having three chooks with no heads running around on the ground....

Yeah when it comes to contests O'Shea plays more like a small, in my opinion there is no spot for him as well as Marchbank, Byrne and Plowman. We need some of the 190cm types playing like 190cm types, not like back pockets. FWIW, I think Williamson and Macreadie are likely to go right past them all eventually, which is why I'd like to see Marchbank on a wing.

I'll cut Plowman some slack because I'll be stuffed if he's physically right to go, he's lost most of his power and run, he is completely devoid of confidence and not hitting the contest like we know he can.

Carlton, we navigate modern football with a map made by Cortes!

Somebody said Williamson had 17 disposals in a half, we can't rush him back, but as fans we can't wait for him either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
We lost Docherty so the powers at be hedged their bets on Mullett and OShea...one cant contest and the other cant kick and both lack nous.....been a lose, lose, lose situation.....

In fairness EB, I'm tipping the powers that be didn't bank on having to deploy both of them at the same time as cover for injured players.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
In fairness EB, I'm tipping the powers that be didn't bank on having to deploy both of them at the same time as cover for injured players.

I agree GTC...OShea has probably replaced Marchbank and Mullet has done same for Docherty.....
Weitering being out of form/confidence hasnt helped either......you add Byrne out and there are not many alternatives...

Reply #59
I agree GTC...OShea has probably replaced Marchbank and Mullet has done same for Docherty.....
Weitering being out of form/confidence hasnt helped either......you add Byrne out and there are not many alternatives...
Sorry mate, Byrne is another I dont rate. That experiment is over I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time