Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 24111 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Pre Game Irritation: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #60
Sorry mate, Byrne is another I dont rate. That experiment is over I reckon.

Hes got pace and a good kick of the footy.

Theres a common theme emerging though.

The loss of Docherty has turned our entire defense, from chocolates to boiled lollies and I wonder what impact him being back in the side will do to it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
Tend to agree...just cant stay on the park either...
Gets caught too much, zero awareness.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Gets caught too much, zero awareness.

Tend to agree, about Byrne.

But sometimes getting pegged is the result of team-mates not doing the right thing, not presenting or not blocking, not that would be us! ::)

We don't have any show runners do we, I thought that game style went out with Bartlett?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
I rate Byrne, I reckon that with another 20 or 30 games under his belt he'll be a beauty.
Pace, balance, skill and he's fearless, if he can only get fit and stay fit.
Unfortunately that seems to be a problem.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #65
I rate Byrne, I reckon that with another 20 or 30 games under his belt he'll be a beauty.
Pace, balance, skill and he's fearless, if he could only get fit and stay fit.

That's the key...if he could find some consistency of game time he could be very good.
With Docherty gone he would probably have had some additional responsibilities this season...but if he cant stay on the park he's not much use to us.

Reply #66
That's the key...if he could find some consistency of game time he could be very good.
With Docherty gone he would probably have had some additional responsibilities this season...but if he cant stay on the park he's not much use to us.

Wait and see Lods, but we signed him for another two years when he was out with his knee reco so someone at the club sees something in him.
He's one out of the box if you ask me, but I thought that Yarran was also and that didn't end well. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
Kerr and McKay
If they stay in...we have to work this smarter.
They can't be flying together.
Kerr is probably a more traditional full forward...let him start in the square and provide multiple leads.
He seemed to be well up the ground at times on the weekend.
Let McKay station himself around 40-50 out as our main target.
Give Charlie a roving commission and we could have a hard to match up on forward line.

Reply #68
I rated Sheehan more, his body was unfortunately made of balsa wood held together with paper ribbon,
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
Kerr and McKay
If they stay in...we have to work this smarter.
They can't be flying together.
Kerr is probably a more traditional full forward...let him start in the square and provide multiple leads.
He seemed to be well up the ground at times on the weekend.
Let McKay station himself around 40-50 out as our main target.
Give Charlie a roving commission and we could have a hard to match up on forward line.

x2...Not many teams have three taller defenders, Kerr needs to be persisted with.....Curnow, Mckay and Kerr might be the edge we need if we can get a decent midfield together.....

Reply #70
I rated Sheehan more, his body was unfortunately made of balsa wood held together with paper ribbon,

Yeah, Gussie had a lot of ability but soft tissue injuries cruelled him, Byrne is a better kick than he was.
It's odd that Irishmen who never kicked an oval ball as kids can master the art but some players who have grown up playing Aussie Rules can't, Tuohy is a beautiful kick as well.

Reply #71
I think that Silvagni should play, he doesn't get big numbers but he brings something intangible and I think that the team looks better with him in it.
Weitering is a must, if I never see O'Shea in a Carlton jumper again I'll be happy.
Cunningham for Mullet, Polson too at a pinch for either of Kerridge, Lamb or Garlett.
I'd drop Rowe, I think he's done.
Really! I gave Rowe votes. He took a huge ego named Hogan to the cleaners, as he has every time they have played. He isn't getting a lot of ball yet, but he is doing a job really well.
I think it will be next year before he gets back to 100%, but since he has come in our defence has looked a quantum leap better. His work with Jones, and probably his mentoring, has been excellent.
I would not drop Kerridge either. he also did a job. Garlett, on the other hand, needs to show a lot more. His good is really good, but he is just not intense enough.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #72
I agree. He has a LOT going for him. He needs to work on his game awareness, as he can get carried away.
It is the injuries that have ruined him so far. Same for Gussy Sheehan. Both had a lot more athleticism than Zac Tuohy, it is just that Tuohy rarely gets injured. The others are basically made out of inferior materials.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #74
Our injury management has been amateurish at best this year. Kennedy, Marchbank, Murphy. Need to upgrade and get into tne 21st century