Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 8577 times) previous topic - next topic

2019 - What do you expect from the club?

Too early Mods?

If not here we go, because 2018 is over for us.

Firstly, apologies to MIO for stealing his concept.
What do I expect?
At this stage, probably Demolition!

Princes Park might well live up to it's name!

The Hobart Blues

The Launceston Lillies

Gloch is probably salivating at the thought, Dawks and Norp won't be too happy though, getting the kibosh from the Apple Isle!
The Force Awakens!

Re: 2019 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #1
Too early Mods?

If not here we go, because 2018 is over for us.

Firstly, apologies to MIO for stealing his concept.
What do I expect?
At this stage, probably Demolition!

Princes Park might well live up to it's name!

The Hobart Blues

The Launceston Lillies

Gloch is probably salivating at the thought, Dawks and Norp won't be too happy though, getting the kibosh from the Apple Isle!

You mean we may be sent to Van Diemen's Land??  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Canberra, Cairns, China. Cradle Mountain
Somewhere where we don't have to change the monogram ;D

I want to see-
1)Support for Bolton with a Craig like figure. I think we're missing his input.
2)Mature, physical, talented recruits in the 22-26 year age group.
Trade picks for them! Even Pick 1
3)Players supporting their teammates in the physical contests. On the weekend I saw one of our players jog past a teammate getting roughed up on the ground. I just forget who it was but it was someone who surprised me.
4) The emphasis must be on  winning rather than development. We must select teams to win games. Let the development happen at VFL level and when they're ready move them up and give them an extended period. But winning must become a priority because losing and honorable losses seem to have become entrenched.
5)With that in mind around 8-10 wins
6)No excuses, no green shoots-call it as it is!
7)New Captain-Docherty or Cripps-its time for that handover.
8)100 point scores-How long has it been now ?!
9)A more aggressive and defiant approach to the AFL-the crap around the Curnows and the umpires we were subjected to, compared to other players in similar situations, was pathetic.
10) A similar approach to the media-call out some of their hypocrisy and contradictions. If we're going to go down let's not go down without a fight

Reply #3
For starters, a season where we don't put the queue in the rack.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
You mean we may be sent to Van Diemen's Land??  :o

Should we ask an AFL consultant?

Does anybody have Sheedy's number?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I have no idea anymore after this year. I'd start with another coach as Bolton, I don't think, is up to the job of such a big rebuild. I thought we'd be 10th-11th this with 8-9 wins after our last two years. Injuries haven't helped but some games our entire intensity disappeared, something that barely happened in the last two years (bar trips to Brisbane).

What I'd like to see is our side better drilled, better structured, better attitude, have better game plan, one within their capabilities, and much better development of players. So i'm saying a change in coaching staff from the top down, bar Teague (who I think can coach). Have all of that and the rest looks after itself.

Reply #6
Anything better than 2018 :'( :'( :'(
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #7
I'll wait to see what we do in the trade/draft period. Could make the difference between predicting we'll finish bottom 2 vs bottom 4

Reply #8
Canberra, Cairns, China. Cradle Mountain
Somewhere where we don't have to change the monogram ;D

I want to see-
1)Support for Bolton with a Craig like figure. I think we're missing his input.

Agreed. Still not sure BB is up to being a senior coach but needs more time granted.

2)Mature, physical, talented recruits in the 22-26 year age group.
Trade picks for them! Even Pick 1

Sounds like the Crows are the ones to deal with - #1 for #8, #13 and a player.

Trade for 2 A graders or at worst, 1 A grader, couple of experienced B -B+ grade mids....

3)Players supporting their teammates in the physical contests. On the weekend I saw one of our players jog past a teammate getting roughed up on the ground. I just forget who it was but it was someone who surprised me.

Boxing/MMA lessons in the off season.

4) The emphasis must be on  winning rather than development. We must select teams to win games. Let the development happen at VFL level and when they're ready move them up and give them an extended period. But winning must become a priority because losing and honorable losses seem to have become entrenched.
5)With that in mind around 8-10 wins

Make the 8.

6)No excuses, no green shoots-call it as it is! Yep
7)New Captain-Docherty or Cripps-its time for that handover.

Murphy must go - but the Doc/Crippa choice looks very difficult.

8)100 point scores-How long has it been now ?!

Fix the midfield (and dare I say it) ruck eg Preuss, the scoring will follow...

9)A more aggressive and defiant approach to the AFL-the crap around the Curnows and the umpires we were subjected to, compared to other players in similar situations, was pathetic.

Diabolically pathetic.

10) A similar approach to the media-call out some of their hypocrisy and contradictions. If we're going to go down let's not go down without a fight

x1000
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Please email above to the club.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Please email above to the club.

The club is fixated on being a good AFL citizen, Pavlov has beaten them into submission, we won't be making waves!

I wonder why, who do we owe, and what do they know?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I also expect, no demand, that blokes like Garlett, Kennedy and Lang, get proper management at the Club and get seriously and fully fit - with a full pre season - ahead of Rd 1 2019.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
I also expect, no demand, that blokes like Garlett, Kennedy and Lang, get proper management at the Club and get seriously and fully fit - with a full pre season - ahead of Rd 1 2019.
You mean ban injuries ? Yeah totally dude ????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #13
2019:

Love PBs list

Here we go:

No trite slogans to buy time and encourage patience. Truth and facts please combined with ambitious expectations. If I hear "we won't put expectations on what we can achieve..." again, I'll rip off my own ears. How about something simple like, "It's our goal to play finals this year."

If I hear, 'not too high, not too low' again I'll spew up. When we win, celebrate, whoop it up (for a short time). When we lose... hurt, hate it, despise it, get outraged by it (also for a short while), it's what healthy humans do...

A much healthier list.

A new football manager (Macca's replacement) who will hold SOS to account re his recruiting (trades a resounding fail to this moment) and bring in another recruiting talent with a proven track record under not so easy conditions (not building a list with rampant AFL favour).

A return to some of the mongrel we saw in players in BBs first year. And it is sustained.

At least 3 new senior footy ready players in the 22 - 27 yr age group who arrive ready to play. No more broken cast offs. Ensure they've also got some hardness about them.

Either get BB a highly qualified and demanding Mentor or bring in a senior coach who understands discipline and not being a buddy to the players. Yes, I think BB is just too hands on/familiar/nice. The best leaders are a little detached and are highly skilled delegators. I am sure the current players love BB, but do they respect him? Or even fear him a little? I really like BB and think he's been handed a poison chalice in some respects, and that he is a round peg in a square hole. His ability to stand up to the media hostility has been outstanding (and he's had to do it with FA public support from the President / SOS etc).

A winning focus/culture/expectation/desire/demand...

Cripps appointed Skipper. We need a Captain who has some mongrel, no more nice.

Get McClure, Rhys, Dominator, Wallsy etc involved and active at the club in some capacity - blokes with a bit of flare in their nostrils and absolutely intolerant of losing along with a deep love and understanding of PP.

And although I was highly supportive of not going cap-in-hand to the AFL re a priority pick, I've done a 180. We should demand it. They've participated in the demise of this club and owe us. Yes, we contributed and got ourselves into this mess... to a degree. Those original sanctions were vindictive and excessive aimed solely at sticking it up Elliott. And those bludgeoning sanctions sowed rotting, putrid 'black shoots' which have borne too much ugly fruit - we became desperate and just about anyone would qualify to run the place (further into the ground) to the point where for too many years we've become a club mired in guilt and apology... and have been bending over for way too long. No more. Now is the time for angry, uncompromising competence/excellence.

Board: get some people on there who have ruthlessness and boldness about them. The Board should be right royally p1ssed off with our situation and act accordingly.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Progressive Votes:
0   3487 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
0   1663 - Curnow, Edward (0)
0   1505 - Simpson, Kade (0)
0   1277 - Curnow, Charles (0)
0   1040 - Thomas, Dale (0)
I still can;'t understand why people are suggesting we need to retire the 2 bolded players.
Consistently in our bests, and both top 5 in the B+F thus far.

Have we learned nothing from the trading of Gibbs?
You simply cannot replace that type of quality with a draft pick.

I would very much hope that we keep these 2 for 2019 (and perhaps beyond?) as a huge hole (and about 550 games of experience by the end of the year) would appear in their absence.

Between them, they have played in more games than all players aged 22 and under combined (of which we have 23! inc rookies). 
....and still more when you include Graham, Phillips and Byrne who are over 23+ and played in a further 98 games between them.

So those 2 players offer us more games experience than our lowest 26 experience players combined. Frightening.