Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 8581 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #15
I still can;'t understand why people are suggesting we need to retire the 2 bolded players.
Consistently in our bests, and both top 5 in the B+F thus far.

Have we learned nothing from the trading of Gibbs?
You simply cannot replace that type of quality with a draft pick.

I would very much hope that we keep these 2 for 2019 (and perhaps beyond?) as a huge hole (and about 550 games of experience by the end of the year) would appear in their absence.

Between them, they have played in more games than all players aged 22 and under combined (of which we have 23! inc rookies). 
....and still more when you include Graham, Phillips and Byrne who are over 23+ and played in a further 98 games between them.

So those 2 players offer us more games experience than our lowest 26 experience players combined. Frightening.
Indeed
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
It would depend on what it freed up in terms of the SC, bot on the face of it, I'd hold on to both, Simpson especially

Reply #17
I would ask both of them to retire, they're not part of the future.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18

Good idea, we’ll get smashed by double next year... even if we could replace them with similar but slightly younger players.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
They're both worth their wages just to have around the club. Most experienced players on our list, which is devoid of experienced players, and both consistently in our best both last season and this. Sure Simmo's disposal has not improved, but his experience down back is invaluable.

Reply #20
Good idea, we’ll get smashed by double next year... even if we could replace them with similar but slightly younger players.

Flawed logic.

We have one win a percentage of 62?, we clearly have to make changes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #21

There is still a role for senior players.   Simpson is the same age as Hodge who if his body holds up should go around again.

Reply #22
[1]   Improvement on the field.

[2]   A recognizable game plane, with maybe some innovative tactics.

[3]   Development of our players.

[4]   No more hacks.

[5]   Better skills.

[6]   Players playing for each other, not for themselves.

[7]   The ability to close down the opposition’s best players instead of playing them back into form.

[8]   A healthy list and a minimum of injuries.

[9]   Sustained pressure during games on the opposition by our players.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
[2]   A recognizable game plane, with maybe some innovative tactics.

It's the biggest thing I miss about Ratten, like him or hate him, he was a bit different and willing to try things.

Too many of our recent coaches, including I'm afraid the current coach, just seem to deliver the same old same old! They must be saving their IP for when it counts, that is if they ever get the opportunity to use it! It would be a pity for BB to be shot down with his powder still dry! :o

Having said that, I thought last season BB was on the right track, he just needed some tweaks here and there to get an extra couple of goals a game on average. Instead this season he seems to have thrown the baby out with the bath water and started from scratch! I don't understand that tactic, I'm sure many fans don't!

Is the reason BB is safe the soft cap, have we blown our total football department spend budget on kiboshing Ratten and MM?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Flawed logic.

We have one win a percentage of 62?, we clearly have to make changes.

Not change for changes sake though.  Taking Simpson out of the team on the weekend rendered us uncompetitive and leaderless in defense.

Perhaps he was "managed" for this one, given they usually don't fly elder players with soft tissue issues interstate and claimed they "knew" about it in advance.

Im happy to move on the Graham, Kerridge types who are clearly not going to take us forward, and keep Simpson and Daisy around instead.  I know you will advocate removing all 4, but I dont think we have to because our draft hand isnt that good without trading a few, and we will likely delist some in the process.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
There is still a role for senior players.   Simpson is the same age as Hodge who if his body holds up should go around again.

Yeah and Hawthorn retired him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Hawthorn have other senior players on their list to replace him.
Simply put, we don't. If Hodge were available next season, I'd be advocating getting him into the club as well.

Reply #27
Yeah and Hawthorn retired him.

And kept Burgoyne.

Hawks at a different stage than us.   If Simpson was holding a good kid out then you might have an arguement.   O'Shea, Mullett and these type are doing that

Reply #28
And kept Burgoyne.

Hawks at a different stage than us.   If Simpson was holding a good kid out then you might have an arguement.   O'Shea, Mullett and these type are doing that

Read the preseason thread everyone here expected us to finish higher than them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #29
Read the preseason thread everyone here expected us to finish higher than them.

Everyone was wrong.

Their list profile is about the now.

Under 22
Carlton : 21 players ~ 345 Games
Hawks: 15 players ~ 115 Games

22-26
Carlton : 9 players ~ 505 Games
Hawks: 11 players ~ 465 Games

26-30
Carlton : 10 players ~ 1091 Games
Hawks: 15 players ~ 2011 Games

30+
Carlton : 5 players ~ 927 Games
Hawks: 4 players ~ 1023 Games

Whoever had us ahead of the Hawks this year had rocks in their head.