Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138117 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #300
Its probably safe to say Collingwood won in the Daisy deal along with Adelaide in the Betts deal. We appear to have lost with both at the moment. Times might tell a different story in the future, but at the moment we are at a loss with both players. Lets hope the footy gods give us a break somewhere down the line at some stage.

Surely good fortune has to smile on us soon Mantis!  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #301
How much does Tom Scully make?

Scully was an error, just like ours, but at least GWS are getting something for their 600k per year. Scully was still young and has probably not even reached anywhere near his peak yet. Thomas was already passed it. I you can't see the difference.....

Anyway, enough with the Daisy crap, anyone trying to say it was a worthy successful deal that we would've gone for regardless of Mick and Swann being at the club is just pushing sh1t uphill.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #302
Scully is only on 600k? What a game?

He was on a mil+ initially...and has gotten worse since then.

Reply #303
Scully is only on 600k? What a game?

He was on a mil+ initially...and has gotten worse since then.

That's not the point I was trying to make. GWS mistakes do not absolve us of ours
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #304
1. Really? Why then did Thomas play the 'no contract negotiations until the end of the season' game?
2. Unrestricted free agents can go to their club of choice.  Restricted free agents go to the highest bidder.  We declined to match Adelaide's bid and Collingwood declined to match ours.  I think Collingwood got that right.
3. Agreed ;)

Yep.

The admin knew they only had so much money in the bank. Old Powder Balls had probably already offered Daisy the big coin so we knew there was no money left.

I heard Dermie the other day saying Carlton were right not to offer Betts the $450k he reportedly wanted .

His reasoning is that no small forward is worth that. He then shot himself in the foot by saying " unless it's Cyril Rioli" .

I started a thread some time ago showing the output of both Rioli and Betts and Eddie had Cyril covered in every aspect of the game. The only argument is that Cyril is a "big game player" , but I'd argue that the Hawks are a big game side which means he just performs at the level of those around him. That's not unusual for small forwards.

So I don't see it as beyond the realms of possibility that we could or should have held onto him.

We also now know Cyril is on $450k or better.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #305
Yep.

The admin knew they only had so much money in the bank. Old Powder Balls had probably already offered Daisy the big coin so we knew there was no money left.

I heard Dermie the other day saying Carlton were right not to offer Betts the $450k he reportedly wanted .

His reasoning is that no small forward is worth that. He then shot himself in the foot by saying " unless it's Cyril Rioli" .

I started a thread some time ago showing the output of both Rioli and Betts and Eddie had Cyril covered in every aspect of the game. The only argument is that Cyril is a "big game player" , but I'd argue that the Hawks are a big game side which means he just performs at the level of those around him. That's not unusual for small forwards.

So I don't see it as beyond the realms of possibility that we could or should have held onto him.

We also now know Cyril is on $450k or better.
Age factor with Betts maybe?

Reply #306
That's not the point I was trying to make. GWS mistakes do not absolve us of ours

Correct, and we should learn from the mistakes of others not follow them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #307
CIMM, Cyril is an interesting one in that he has won games off his own boot... but he's also played a lot of average games and I reckon that the glimpses of brilliance blind people to the long where he donesn't do much.  I watched him closely in a game last year (one of the finals from memory) and his efforts when he didn't get the ball were excremental.  He looked a very lazy one way runner....  great cream player and finisher but you wonder why he hasn't graduated to roles higher up the ground by now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #308
CIMM, Cyril is an interesting one in that he has won games off his own boot.

Cyril is over-rated, if you put Betts in the forward line Rioli has mostly played in surrounded by Franklin and Roughead while getting delivery off blokes like Mitchell and Lewis, all the time with Hodge standing guard over him, and Betts would eclipse Rioli.

FFS, Magda Szubanski could kick goals in that setup! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #309
Cyril is over-rated, if you put Betts in the forward line Rioli has mostly played in surrounded by Franklin and Roughead while getting delivery off blokes like Mitchell and Lewis, all the time with Hodge standing guard over him, and Betts would eclipse Rioli.

FFS, Magda Szubanski could kick goals in that setup! ;)
x 2. Even Garlett (in his hey day) had Rioli covered statisitically. So overrated its sickening. Wouldnt mind having a crack at him though.

Reply #310
x 2. Even Garlett (in his hey day) had Rioli covered statisitically. So overrated its sickening. Wouldnt mind having a crack at him though.

Of course, Rioli would be a great stop gap until Clem Smith comes good, then we could trade Rioli to a spud club for a 2nd rounder!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #311
CIMM, Cyril is an interesting one in that he has won games off his own boot... but he's also played a lot of average games and I reckon that the glimpses of brilliance blind people to the long where he donesn't do much.  I watched him closely in a game last year (one of the finals from memory) and his efforts when he didn't get the ball were excremental.  He looked a very lazy one way runner....  great cream player and finisher but you wonder why he hasn't graduated to roles higher up the ground by now.

Hamstrings and tank.

Both very average.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #313
Not sure how close you were watching but Rioli's defensive pressure is off the chart.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #314
Was wondering when MBB would show up to support his lovechild. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!