Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138095 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #150
Must admit looking at MM's last video message yesterday it all seemed a bit tired and formulaic. It certainly failed to inspire me.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #151
MM is quite clearly not inspiring these players - even if he has turned over half the list, there's no attitude change at all - we are as crap as we were two seasons ago!

I actually think we are much worse, both in list quality and output.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #152
We need a win!  :D

Reply #153
I think our problems remain because our club behavior isn't changing, we still appear too tricky for our own good.

I want less effort of subterfuge and more effort on results.

I don't think Murphy is a bad leader, he has done well in the past but I doubt he is fit and ready to play. Don't be surprised if we hear at the end of this season that he has been struggling with an injury all season.

Last year 1AW limped through a season, Armfield, Jammo and Hendo as well, we are our own worst enemies in this regard. We claim to be playing the long term game, but we make short term decisions. This affects on field results and has nothing to do with our captain, it's a symptom of a club that has a bunch of players in survival mode! ;)

Clubs like the Dawks or Geelong would have wrapped the better players in cotton wool ready for the next year and played the season out with the juniors to give them some experience. Instead we delay, delay, delay!

When it comes to decision making, we have the putting yips!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
I think our problems remain because our club behavior isn't changing, we still appear too tricky for our own good.

I want less effort of subterfuge and more effort on results.

I don't think Murphy is a bad leader, he has done well in the past but I doubt he is fit and ready to play. Don't be surprised if we hear at the end of this season that he has been struggling with an injury all season.

Last year 1AW limped through a season, Armfield, Jammo and Hendo as well, we are our own worst enemies in this regard. We claim to be playing the long term game, but we make short term decisions. This affects on field results and has nothing to do with our captain, it's a symptom of a club that has a bunch of players in survival mode! ;)

Clubs like the Dawks or Geelong would have wrapped the better players in cotton wool ready for the next year and played the season out with the juniors to give them some experience. Instead we delay, delay, delay!

When it comes to decision making, we have the putting yips!

Is it any wonder when last time the coach was forced to rotate the squad heavily he was sacked, and the bloke currently in charge is on a slippery slope one game into his third season at the helm and one of the major knocks on him was giving Clem Smith a game?

Think about it.

WE HAVE CAUSED THIS.

Im not saying appoint Malthouse, but when he goes, we need to appoint someone we have faith in, and actually show some faith in them, and rather than go for the types that people are thinking, we should be looking squarely at the following two names:

Matthew Lappin
David Teague

Both have been around the traps as assistants.  Teague's work as the Bullants coach was very impressive back then, and he has been an assistant at multiple AFL clubs now.  Ditto Lappin who has been at Collingwood and is now having a go at the GC and still seems to think fondly of his time at Carlton.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
@ Thry

Agree that we should we be looking closely at both of those guys if MM does indeed go. However, changing the coach I fear is nowhere near the complete solution to our predicament. A successful solution will also be heavily dependent on SOS's work, to mention just one area.

Reply #156
I like Lappin but is he head coach material?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #158
Hmmm, I think the ire of supporters and officials comes after the fact.

The ire of supporters and officials may very well come after the fact.

we gave a young draftee a round 1 debut, and due to circumstances outside of anyone's control he goes on as the sub after 1 minute, and all of a sudden it was the worst move in history.

Meanwhile, this same match is an idication that the coach should be sacked and this decision is one of the reasons.  Why?  Because a more seasoned bloke wasnt chosen yet, here we are trying to get a young kid up to speed of AFL footy.

I would be more concerned about our coach going into self preservation mode, and playing your David Ellards, Dennis Armfields and what not as the sub because they are focussing overly on winning games rather than blooding youngsters, yet have a look at everyone who is condemning that decision.

If we can't blood youngsters via the sub, then when can we?  We don't really want to blood a whole host of youngsters in one hit, particularly if they have played very few matches.

Even the decision not to play Casboult.  We are moaning about it a little, but lets face it, the issue last thursday is that we lacked mobility.  Would Casboult have helped that?  Only if he came in at the expense of Rowe, and we sent Henderson back, but on the form of last season, we had no reason to believe that this was a good decision aside from assisting our ruck division.  Which would not have benefitted majorly from having Casboult in (as his ruckwork has been average at best).

We have created an environment where the second the coach starts playing more for the benefit of our future, rather than the benefit of the present, he is walking on thin ice.  That is a recipe for having coaches constantly in self preservation mode, and to the detriment of developing our team.  That is a recipe for disaster.

Paul Hewson

Reply #159
It's hard to figure atm whether the club as a whole is playing for the long term or purely just looking to the short term in terms of memberships etc. etc. Certainly memberships and playing finals are clearly important but there may be a recognition in the club that we need a longer term to really sort ourselves out and maybe that's what the covert strategy may be. It's just not being fully articulated publicly.

In the meantime they try and appeal to fans in ways that will attract memberships, and that includes playing coy about MM's contract?

Reply #160
The ire of supporters and officials may very well come after the fact.

we gave a young draftee a round 1 debut, and due to circumstances outside of anyone's control he goes on as the sub after 1 minute, and all of a sudden it was the worst move in history.

Meanwhile, this same match is an idication that the coach should be sacked and this decision is one of the reasons.  Why?  Because a more seasoned bloke wasnt chosen yet, here we are trying to get a young kid up to speed of AFL footy.

I would be more concerned about our coach going into self preservation mode, and playing your David Ellards, Dennis Armfields and what not as the sub because they are focussing overly on winning games rather than blooding youngsters, yet have a look at everyone who is condemning that decision.

If we can't blood youngsters via the sub, then when can we?  We don't really want to blood a whole host of youngsters in one hit, particularly if they have played very few matches.

Even the decision not to play Casboult.  We are moaning about it a little, but lets face it, the issue last thursday is that we lacked mobility.  Would Casboult have helped that?  Only if he came in at the expense of Rowe, and we sent Henderson back, but on the form of last season, we had no reason to believe that this was a good decision aside from assisting our ruck division.  Which would not have benefitted majorly from having Casboult in (as his ruckwork has been average at best).

We have created an environment where the second the coach starts playing more for the benefit of our future, rather than the benefit of the present, he is walking on thin ice.  That is a recipe for having coaches constantly in self preservation mode, and to the detriment of developing our team.  That is a recipe for disaster.

You arguing against yourself, because we took three first Carlton game players into the season opener!

As for Smith I don't accept the early Sub as bad luck, the problem occurred at the selection table and was a design fault not a case of good or bad fortune!

If they want to give kids like Smith a run then select a side around him that can afford to carry him and play him from the start, not as a Sub and not surrounded by two or three other first game players.

We do not do the Sub well, and the Malthouse continually asking for the end of the Sub exposes that he doesn't understand or like it. FFS, how many times did we pick McLean as Sub and still go into the match with a top heavy side?

But some clubs do the Sub very, very, very well as part of a progressive game plan!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161
You arguing against yourself, because we took three first Carlton game players into the season opener!

As for Smith I don't accept the early Sub as bad luck, the problem occurred at the selection table and was a design fault not a case of good or bad fortune!

If they want to give kids like Smith a run then select a side around him that can afford to carry him and play him from the start, not as a Sub and not surrounded by two or three other first game players.

We do not do the Sub well, and the Malthouse continually asking for the end of the Sub exposes that he doesn't understand or like it. FFS, how many times did we pick McLean as Sub and still go into the match with a top heavy side?

But some clubs do the Sub very, very, very well as part of a progressive game plan!

I disagree that I am arguing against myself here.

Thats just plain unlucky.  Not just in terms of having Smith play 4 quarters, but also in the fact that we lost a small for a small, and went in top heavy.

Paul Hewson

Reply #162
We stuffed the sub up last week, we selected him to play the last quarter and it blew up in our faces.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #163
I like Lappin but is he head coach material?

Don't think so Carrots, but he could take a mean grab and snag a few goals.

Would love Dew to be our next coach.  By all reports, one of the better assistants going around

Reply #164

Don't think so Carrots, but he could take a mean grab and snag a few goals.

Would love Dew to be our next coach.  By all reports, one of the better assistants going around

It's hard to judge blokes until you get to hear them talk quite a bit. If they are not articulate and clear enough they are going to struggle. This must have been one of Ratten's problems, his message was often muddled!

But being articulate doesn't mean your message is also clear, just listen to Malthouse, I hope his messages to players are clearer than his discussions with media! :D

Parkin was articulate as well as clear to the point of being brutal, he delivered some of the most clearly defined and intimidating messages I have ever heard! Yabbie Jeans was also in the same category. But those guys would get no respect from kids in AFL these days, the kids are too well trained into identifying bullying no matter how you dress it up or deliver it!
The Force Awakens!