Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #180

Unfortunately in today's game everyone has to hold their own, if there is a weak link it will get exposed. The midfield tried to cover but when they did they hand balled or kicked over the top to the man they left. I'm not blaming the kid as it wasn't lack of effort, he physically couldn't run.

MBB, I can tell from your language that you're not blaming Smith, just stating the facts.

Why not try to play him as far from the action as possible ? Forward or back pocket, give him more time on the bench etc.

I'd bet London to a brick that if the game was Tigers vs Hawks, and Hawthorn was 1 rotation down, they still would've won. And therein lies the problem - one of them anyway.

Reply #181
It's interesting to read different folks' reasons for our loss.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the two loose players Richmond had behind the ball who cut off almost every attempt we made rebound out of defence.

I suspect that the better teams (a) wouldn't have let that happen or (b) would have countered it after the first or second interception.  You could blame our failure to respond on the coach but I reckon that it is the responsibility of the on field leaders.  However, I wonder whether they have been empowered to do so or whether they lack the confidence to change the coach's set up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #182
@DJC, 3rd year and we still can't work out what to do against the spare man.

Reply #183
It's interesting to read different folks' reasons for our loss.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the two loose players Richmond had behind the ball who cut off almost every attempt we made rebound out of defence.

I suspect that the better teams (a) wouldn't have let that happen or (b) would have countered it after the first or second interception.  You could blame our failure to respond on the coach but I reckon that it is the responsibility of the on field leaders.  However, I wonder whether they have been empowered to do so or whether they lack the confidence to change the coach's set up.

For me it is clearly an issue with the game plan, our ball movement is too slow, plain and simple.

Those spares guys are not there all the time, and the opposition don't have some super-athletes who sprint up and down the ground all day. The opposition forwards roll off and like a domino effect their lose man propagates down the field to our forward line. But they can only do it because we move the ball slowly around the boundary line.

As far as I can tell, our game plan would only work with one of either Roughead or Walker inside our F50. There isn't another forward in the competition that can deal with our slow ball movement and this type of game plan! If Casboult was a lot stronger he may be able to work it as well, but his body on body stuff is below average for his size which leaves him out of the contest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184
For me it is clearly an issue with the game plan, our ball movement is too slow, plain and simple.

Those spares guys are not there all the time, and the opposition don't have some super-athletes who sprint up and down the ground all day. The opposition forwards roll off and like a domino effect their lose man propagates down the field to our forward line. But they can only do it because we move the ball slowly around the boundary line.

As far as I can tell, our game plan would only work with one of either Roughead or Walker inside our F50. There isn't another forward in the competition that can deal with our slow ball movement and this type of game plan! If Casboult was a lot stronger he may be able to work it as well, but his body on body stuff is below average for his size which leaves him out of the contest.

Forgive me if this is inaccurate, but if we move the ball so slowly for them to get loose players back, then forgive me if this is wrong, but shouldnt we be able to man up forward accordingly and end up with an even distribution of players forward?

I would have thought that that slow ball movement should be more conducive to ending up with more bodies forward, and that moving the ball quickly would allow their plus one to chop off the forward entry rather than the opposite?

Mind you, slower ball movement should also mean more precise ball movement, picking out a team mate rather than blazing away and kicking to a contest which is 2 to 1 against.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #185
I don't think slow ball movement is a factor in the situation I was referring to.

Picture the ball in Richmond's forward 50 along with most of the players.  Two of Richmond's defenders haven't followed their opponents and position themselves just forward of centre.  We get the ball and attempt to clear it but our kicks, handpasses or run and carry are intercepted/stopped by on of the two defenders.

By this stage our players are streaming forward and the ball is roosted back into Richmond's forward 50 and an unmarked player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #186

Forgive me if this is inaccurate, but if we move the ball so slowly for them to get loose players back, then forgive me if this is wrong, but shouldnt we be able to man up forward accordingly and end up with an even distribution of players forward?

I would have thought that that slow ball movement should be more conducive to ending up with more bodies forward, and that moving the ball quickly would allow their plus one to chop off the forward entry rather than the opposite?

Mind you, slower ball movement should also mean more precise ball movement, picking out a team mate rather than blazing away and kicking to a contest which is 2 to 1 against.

So you want more bodies in the F50, you want us to crowd our own F50?

Your pointing out the idiosyncrasies in the game plan, we don't crowd our own forward line and we keep bodies behind the ball, which means opposition can roll back and create numbers.

Again it's our slow moving contested game plan that creates more opportunity for opponents to setup, defenders want setups and numbers, forwards want freedom and space!

Sides press too easily against us in the real season, in the NAB Cup you saw Carlton using fast breaks with man-on-man football which we generally don't play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #187
I don't think slow ball movement is a factor in the situation I was referring to.

Picture the ball in Richmond's forward 50 along with most of the players.  Two of Richmond's defenders haven't followed their opponents and position themselves just forward of centre.  We get the ball and attempt to clear it but our kicks, handpasses or run and carry are intercepted/stopped by on of the two defenders.

By this stage our players are streaming forward and the ball is roosted back into Richmond's forward 50 and an unmarked player.

It's a feature of the same game plan, bodies behind the ball and an arm wrestle around the boundary. There are no fast breaks because we have numbers behind the ball, no man on man contests, no space and nobody to kick to! Yet apparently it's a good plan! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #188

Im with you, we got burnt in the transition from offense to defense too often.  Usually through skill errors, or poor decision making and rather than looking at the wing, or the corridoor, I prefer to look at "thirds" of the field.  Defensive, middle, offensive.  You can afford to make the odd mistake in the attacking third, but your team will function more cohesively if they can all "push" up the ground together.

If you get blokes going too quick, then you isolate your forwards, usually outnumbered as everyone seems to play a +1 these days and make it an all or nothing contest for them.  They either win the ball, and get the scoring opportunity, or they dont, and that ball is a turnover.

You advance the ball up the park, and sure, you might crowd your forwards in their attacking 50, but if that ball turns over, there should be little scope for it to rebound quickly as there will be numbers around the ball in your attacking third, and its more likely to fall out in a situation where we can "lock it in".

We did that very well in the first quarter on thursday.  The Tigers started working through it though, and we were not smart enough to lock it in, and I feel we got sucked into to playing end to end footy which is an absolute disaster unless you have very quick players, or a potent forwardline.

I dont think we have much of either at the moment.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #189
The one and only way to get rid of the +1 is fast ball movement!

Our current game plan is a like a concession to failure, no risk with no rewards!

But it makes a lot of supporters happy, less blow-outs! ;)

I'd rather have a few 100 point victories mixed in with a few 100 point losses, and bet on a favorable split for the rest, than have a season full of gallant defeats!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190

Our game plan is a like a concession to failure, no risk with no rewards!

Don't think it needs to be quick if it's precise but slow movement followed by a stray kick is death.

Reply #191
Don't think it needs to be quick if it's precise but slow movement followed by a stray kick is death.

It doesn't matter who you are, eventually there is a stray kick and if you move slowly enough a zone is setup to pick it off!

Nobody, not one player or any team, kicks at 100%

The game plan has to craft a win while dealing with imperfections in players.

Our game plan want or needs defensive perfection, but it creates such extreme pressure on the players trying to implement it that it becomes self-defeating! Then to top off their exasperation they get dragged over to the boundary for another earful of confidence, they look puzzled because they tried to do what was asked but failed! It's not like they did something wrong, just that the didn't succeed at it!

Nobody is perfect, not Malthouse and not the players, have a game plan that can deal with it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #192

Our current game plan is a like a concession to failure, no risk with no rewards!

Our current game plan is different to our game plan last year.

Geelong are the 'king of the corridor.'

Our NAB cup game against them showed some pre-game stats (After 2 NAB games) and we were 1 and 2 for corridor use.

So what happened?
We lacked run!
Daisy going down early hurt us as he is one of our best runners.
Walker not playing.
Murphy having a crap game.
Yarran hurting his knee(?) didn't help.
Losing some rotations because of Jaksch injuries meant everyone was not as well rested as a result.
Smith obviously wasn't full of run.

Reply #193
Murphy was pretty good in his latest presser, shows why he is a players choice! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #194
When on-field leadership is faltering it is also worth asking if the playing group actually fully respects and trusts the leadership.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17