Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast (Read 9808 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #120
I agree from that second lot they will be in line for a new job next year....but i can at least see why you might get excited about them. Shifter Sheehan says you must have '1 thing' to set you apart from others. That '1 thing' will get you drafted. I can see that 1' thing' with them.....unfortunately there isn't much else.

I don't know what that '1 thing' with Obrien is.
I know he was taken at 10, but i don't know why. He got games because he was a pick 10, but i didn't really see his '1 thing' in any of those games
Obriens weapon at U18 level was his kicking......everyone loves a leftie who can kick the big penetrating ball into the forward line.
However at senior level he has struggled, kicks the odd good one but then sends a few out on the full and undoes whatever good passes he has made. Like Dow has also struggled to get the ball and doesnt like the extra physicality both receiving and trying to tackle the bigger bodies.
He was the scribes pick at 10 but I struggled to get excited about him, if you look at 2017 it was a very uninspiring draft with plenty of misses from a few clubs...Tim Kelly the standout who was on the radar of SOS but it was going to be a brave recruiter to take a WAFL player at pick 10 after the Boekhorst debacle.
I guess my point is we made a decent investment in Dow and Obrien and I'd like to see a return if possible and we need to play them to see what they can deliver ahead of a player like Cottrell who might be a handy player but we really need the other two on show to see where their futures are with list sizes being squeezed..

Reply #121
Obriens weapon at U18 level was his kicking......everyone loves a leftie who can kick the big penetrating ball into the forward line.
However at senior level he has struggled, kicks the odd good one but then sends a few out on the full and undoes whatever good passes he has made. Like Dow has also struggled to get the ball and doesnt like the extra physicality both receiving and trying to tackle the bigger bodies.
He was the scribes pick at 10 but I struggled to get excited about him, if you look at 2017 it was a very uninspiring draft with plenty of misses from a few clubs...Tim Kelly the standout who was on the radar of SOS but it was going to be a brave recruiter to take a WAFL player at pick 10 after the Boekhorst debacle.
I guess my point is we made a decent investment in Dow and Obrien and I'd like to see a return if possible and we need to play them to see what they can deliver ahead of a player like Cottrell who might be a handy player but we really need the other two on show to see where their futures are with list sizes being squeezed..

Kenny Rogers said it best in regards to OBrien....
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

I don't see any value in holding OBrien at this stage. If his '1 thing' is no longer a thing....then what are we doing here?

From my what type of player thread i started, i selected an outside mid with good kicking as our greatest need. OBrien can supposedly fit that bill, but cannot get a game. Says plenty.

Kenny can take it from here....

Reply #122
I think with Simmo, sMurph and some others on the retirement slide it's too early to call on these guys, they are potentially part of the jigsaw puzzle that makes a balanced team.

As it stands, we probably need one of O'Brien or Stocker to come good as the distributor off the HBF, guys who in addition to Weitering came kick the eyes out of a Crow at 50m.

They might not be Simmo replacements, in the Simmo/Hunter style, but they won't kick 8 out of 10 straight back to the opposition either.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Time flies, now playing together in the same side.

Reply #124
How good is that, being able to debut/play with one of your favorite childhood players. Make it a special one and get a W.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125

Warms the cockles. Thank you for posting this, Squire. And I hope Cotts does land a few on Edwardo's chest.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #126
Warms the cockles. Thank you for posting this, Squire. And I hope Cotts does land a few on Edwardo's chest.
I hope he gets a Jarryd Waite like opportunity late in the game but finishes in style!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
I see Cottrell becoming our Ed Curnow replacement in a few years, he has the tank already to harass all day like a drovers dog just needs to learn Ed’s tricks and muscle. This will come with experience and opportunity that hopefully he will be given.

Reply #128
Defining game.
I reckon we'll learn a lot about our side today.
If we've really improved, if we are on the right track, we'll make a contest of it.