Skip to main content
Topic: The Voice (Read 10152 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Voice

Reply #30
I doubt issuing that statement had much to do with the football department, and I doubt it would create any kind of distraction for the players, or divert any energy away from winning games of footy. Seems like a pretty mild and open ended piece from the marketing department.

I agree, but perceptions are funny.  Easternhealth re branded during the pandemic.  It came across as tone deaf and a waste of money and time when we should have been focussing on other issues.

In reality what you say applied but it served only to alienate people further at the time.

We haven't been travelling well on the park for quite some time now and the perception amongst fans is that the social commentary our club pours any energy into is wasted when we haven't put the requisite energy into making our footy club better.

Whether or not that perception is accurate is another matter.

Largely I saw it, didn't read it, got annoyed and still haven't read it and have already dismissed it as ultimately what the club states is irrelevant to me.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
When the club can demonstrate competence in its core business,  i.e. football,  then maybe we may listen to its views on other matters.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Shawny I though the same thing but thought it might be seen as insensitive to comment. If only our footy dept was as good as the dept in charge of social issues, we would win more games than we lose.

I thought the same then thought hang on a this is a football club who’s sole purpose when selling memberships is winning premierships and considering they have failed to deliver in their core business for closing in on 30 years I’m entitled to provide my opinion which is get your core business in order then and only only spend time and energy on any other non football matter.  Don’t expect all to agree and that’s perfectly fine but that’s my view on it.

Reply #33
Remember how the club got bashed around for not making a strong enough statement about diversity etc....kicking the CFC in the guts when they're down is the country's most popular participation sport ATM.  The club can't win on any front right now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Footy clubs don't exist in a vacuum. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
What are Lisa Wilkinson's thoughts on the voice? She is well qualified as she mentioned she has a black cleaner.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
What are Lisa Wilkinson's thoughts on the voice? She is well qualified as she mentioned she has a black cleaner.
What?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
That leaked 5hr Higgins - The Project interview tape revealed what a grub Wilkinson truly is.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
The voting patterns turned out to be pretty interesting, both sides post the vote are spinning like crazy to run their preferred agendas.

As far as I can tell, it seems inner city and academia was Yes, and pretty much everywhere else in the country was No.

A couple of odd standouts;

- The NT which holds the highest percentage of indigenous population strongly voted No.

- Inner City Melb which apparently has one of the countries lowest Indigenous populations, voted strongly Yes.

Overall, it seems to indicate just how wrong the referendum was, a niche question that was seen by the vast majority as waste of time and money.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
The voting patterns turned out to be pretty interesting, both sides post the vote are spinning like crazy to run their preferred agendas.

As far as I can tell, it seems inner city and academia was Yes, and pretty much everywhere else in the country was No.

A couple of odd standouts;

- The NT which holds the highest percentage of indigenous population strongly voted No.

- Inner City Melb which apparently has one of the countries lowest Indigenous populations, voted strongly Yes.

Overall, it seems to indicate just how wrong the referendum was, a niche question that was seen by the vast majority as waste of time and money.
If there was a election tomorrow and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price was running for PM, I'd vote for her in a heat beat. I'd not  heard much about her prior to the Voice debate, what a breath of fresh air, the future of Australian politics I reckon. Thoughts?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Waste of time and money. Should have had another republic referendum which would have got up then we could make larger, more meaningful changes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
If there was a election tomorrow and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price was running for PM, I'd vote for her in a heat beat. I'd not  heard much about her prior to the Voice debate, what a breath of fresh air, the future of Australian politics I reckon. Thoughts?
It's hard to judge politicians on a single agenda.

When we elect officials we elect them to perform as general purpose administrators. In recent years there have been some disastrous elections across local, state and federal politics, because social media tends to drive interest in myopic agendas. My own region is suffering badly with over half the local representation either elected on a single agenda platform, without disclosure of a myopic agenda or without disclosure of a political allegiance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
The voting patterns turned out to be pretty interesting, both sides post the vote are spinning like crazy to run their preferred agendas.

A couple of odd standouts;

- The NT which holds the highest percentage of indigenous population strongly voted No.

- Inner City Melb which apparently has one of the countries lowest Indigenous populations, voted strongly Yes.

Overall, it seems to indicate just how wrong the referendum was, a niche question that was seen by the vast majority as waste of time and money.
Not sure it's the 'vast majority'.  If 10% of the swinging voters would have seen a different outcome.  The 'If you don't know, vote no' catch-cry was well and truly on display where I voted, and I would suggest that many of the people walking in to vote had only that message ringing in their ears, because many people (I use my 4 adult children as exhibits) couldn't be bothered finding out what this referendum was about.   Perhaps that explains why the inner-city academics voted yes, while the outer-suburbanites voted no?

Interesting to read the take on the outcome in the international media.  Pretty much universally suggested that the campaign was hijacked for political purposes and the electorate was by and large conned with a barrage of half-truths and fabrications.  Of course, Albanese should have been smarter and read the mood of the room, because referenda never pass unless they have bi-partisan support.

Funny now to hear all the local politicians saying we must now 'work together to get real improvements for Indigenous peoples', or words to that effect (we've done well on that one for the past 122 years, haven't we...?)  Why do I find it hard to believe that will be the case when it comes to voting on legislation....?  
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?