Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Celebration: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 22674 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Celebration: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #165
Maybe SOS knew Tim Kelly would go home!

Even the Handbaggers seem resigned to the fact he's going to leave, a club we are supposed to model ourselves on can't hold onto the WA kid, what chance us?

On a separate issue, this is all hindsight, should haves and could haves, draft picks are not certainties, and sometimes how they pan out depends on who they play next to!

Exactly. Kelly would be a non event had he joined our club. Probably delisted and back in the WAFL.

Reply #166
Exactly. Kelly would be a non event had he joined our club. Probably delisted and back in the WAFL.

You reckon, if Gibbons can get a kick I cant see why Kelly wouldnt be able to get a few more given he has a lot more
talent. If you want delisted and back in the WAFL try Pickett and soon to be Garlett , and Lebois should be doing similar in the SANFL.
There is some serious talent in the State Leagues, the VFL, WAFL, SANFL etc have come a long way since the likes of Harold Martin and Phil Cleary were belting into each other
on a Sunday afternoon..

Reply #167
I've no doubt if you get a pick right it can work out, but up front it's all speculative no matter what is claimed in hindsight!

It's much easier for a club like the Handbaggers who have a stable and strong list, to make these picks and crow about the successes, but look at their discards? Their hit rate is no better than any other, it's just that nobody notices the failures getting the chop from the VFL, while struggling clubs end up giving their wipeouts the chop from the AFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
You reckon, if Gibbons can get a kick I cant see why Kelly wouldnt be able to get a few more given he has a lot more
talent. If you want delisted and back in the WAFL try Pickett and soon to be Garlett , and Lebois should be doing similar in the SANFL.
There is some serious talent in the State Leagues, the VFL, WAFL, SANFL etc have come a long way since the likes of Harold Martin and Phil Cleary were belting into each other
on a Sunday afternoon..

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little in terms of being delisted, but I maintain Kelly wouldn't be successful at our club.
For one thing, I think he is a lot better player due to the players around him. Even with his form, he is way down the list of players that opposition coaches would target for close attention.
Secondly, I doubt he would stick around playing for a club that cant win a game, especially when I doubt he would be a superstar in Navy. Too many things pulling him back to WA. Do you think he'd have stayed with Geelong this season if they werent winning games? I would suggest he may have gone back to WA and sat the year out.
Not going to comment on the others you have mentioned. It wasn't the intention of my post to denigrate Kelly or any of the other State League players.

Reply #169
Maybe I'm exaggerating a little in terms of being delisted, but I maintain Kelly wouldn't be successful at our club.
For one thing, I think he is a lot better player due to the players around him. Even with his form, he is way down the list of players that opposition coaches would target for close attention.
Secondly, I doubt he would stick around playing for a club that cant win a game, especially when I doubt he would be a superstar in Navy. Too many things pulling him back to WA. Do you think he'd have stayed with Geelong this season if they werent winning games? I would suggest he may have gone back to WA and sat the year out.
Not going to comment on the others you have mentioned. It wasn't the intention of my post to denigrate Kelly or any of the other State League players.

Amazing isn’t it. It’s a professional sport, a job. If you’re not willing to travel and commit for a number of years and bring your family along if needed, to set you up for life, then I wouldn’t want them at the club. Absolute nonsense and shows immaturity of character. NFL, Soccer, Whatever. Even a corporate job. If someone offers you 5, 10, 15 times the $$ you are on now, never mind the chance to play in the big league and at the MCG? No thanks. Lack of ambition in my books and not something fitting our fledging Culture. 
Keep the Faith

Reply #170
Why are we wasting our breath on Kelly?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #171
Woodstock....agree in principle but Kelly from all accounts has some extenuating circumstances. One of his kids has a disability and it's more about having the support around his partner who has apparently struggled with being away from family. I remember a recruiting official from Adelaide years ago getting a bollocking and losing his job over comments about recruiting indigenous players from interstate (all from the PC brigade at the AFL) when all he was doing was stating a fact....clubs are more mindful of it these days.

But Kelly didn't do himself any favours last year when saying the move back to WA was all about family when he came out and ruled out playing for the Dockers who were into him as well as the Eagles. If it IS all about family then it shouldn't matter where you're playing as long as you're at home if that's where you want to be.

Reply #172
Woodstock....agree in principle but Kelly from all accounts has some extenuating circumstances. One of his kids has a disability and it's more about having the support around his partner who has apparently struggled with being away from family. I remember a recruiting official from Adelaide years ago getting a bollocking and losing his job over comments about recruiting indigenous players from interstate (all from the PC brigade at the AFL) when all he was doing was stating a fact....clubs are more mindful of it these days.

But Kelly didn't do himself any favours last year when saying the move back to WA was all about family when he came out and ruled out playing for the Dockers who were into him as well as the Eagles. If it IS all about family then it shouldn't matter where you're playing as long as you're at home if that's where you want to be.

I stand corrected buddy. That’s what you call extenuating circumstances. Tough one. One wonders why he made the trip in first place then. $$$? The costs of living with a disability can be outrageously high.
Keep the Faith

Reply #173
He'd been desperate to get onto an AFL list for a few years after being overlooked in the drafts and I think he was pretty much certain the Eagles would get him with one of the round 2 draft picks they'd accumulated at the end of 2017 but Geelong swooped. They'd loaded up on second round drafts to get him and Liam Ryan who interstate clubs had also overlooked.

Only going on what I've read and heard but the push was from his partner to get back to WA so that she could be around family and friends to help with the kids.  From all accounts Geelong have bent over backwards to help him and his family.

Reply #174
Why are we wasting our breath on Kelly?

I get really good mileage out of Tim Kelly.... ;)  if he stays at Geelong he might put a few other good players out the door as Navy Maven suggested which means
we should be waiting with open arms and cheque books to embrace them.
Ditto if the WC or Dockers pick him up we should be looking at some ex Vic players to extract out the door back home.

Reply #175
I stand corrected buddy. That’s what you call extenuating circumstances. Tough one. One wonders why he made the trip in first place then. $$$? The costs of living with a disability can be outrageously high.

Some things just deserve a long range effort!

Did I remember correctly?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176
Agree EB. Geelong will want multiple first round picks for Kelly as they did last year and it might be a bidding war between Dockers/Eagles. If our first round pick is somewhere around 13-18 (from Adelaide), would you consider using that on a good mature aged midfielder rather than another 18 year old kid?

Reply #177
Agree EB. Geelong will want multiple first round picks for Kelly as they did last year and it might be a bidding war between Dockers/Eagles. If our first round pick is somewhere around 13-18 (from Adelaide), would you consider using that on a good mature aged midfielder rather than another 18 year old kid?

Surfie, Think it was Raydan or Krud who suggested we get involved in the Kelly deal by offering our first rounder to help make it happen...

I think most recruiters are reluctant to give away their 1st rounder unless its a real big deal for a proven player/players....I might be wrong but we also
may not have a second round pick from memory and given we dont have much to trade I think manipulation of that 1st rounder for picks/players will be super important.

Those mature aged mids/players are the ones you like to pick up with rubbish picks or free..
Adam Tomlinson is a free agent and if I was trading my first pick for whatever reason I would like to get a player of his quality for free to compensate or hedge my investment in trading that
1st rounder.

Reply #178
Whatever Geelong throw at Tim Kelly to keep him, becomes the offer benchmark for all player managers! Whether those players are go home risks or just wanting to stay as good loyal servants!

So I doubt the Handbaggers will offer as much as people think, because if they go overboard they will shot themselves in the foot long term!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #179
Yeah pretty sure I read too that we don't have a second round pick.....might've been gobbled up in the McGovern and/or Setterfield deals from last year. If someone like Fremantle needed another pick to get Kelly then someone like Tucker might be worth a punt.

I've always been a Tomlinson fan and would gladly take him as he can run through the middle and we have to start getting ready for life without Simpson and Thomas. A strong finish to the season by the club will make it more attractive to Free Agents.