Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 74025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #90
I had a similar experience coming back to play for much the same reasons as yourself when in my 40s. Invited to captain a team made up of "youthful potential" that seemed to be mostly misdirected talent.

But had the sledging increased or was it just because on return we were at the weekend warrior level? A level that is often proliferated with teams full of young footballers bridging the off-season with a bit of cricket?

I also found interfering parents an issue with young teenagers, a lot of why isn't my kid opening sort of discussions went on! Kids playing the sport a parent had chosen for them maybe?

Many years ago I played some Sub District cricket in the Melbourne East and we had a game where we were short and I invited a workmate who had played a bit of District cricket for a team in the West, he was a bit of a gun batsman and carted the other mob everywhere and the opposition were not impressed. He got sledged really bad especially by two brothers one of whom was a TV personality at the time and had a big gob...when he was dismissed it continued and he told them they had better be prepared to back it up off the field. It ended up in a brawl in the carpark with the police in attendance....this is what sledging can lead to when it gets out of hand..the sledging wasnt so much personal but more along the lines of anyone from the Western Suburbs must be some low life with a crim background etc etc, whose car did you steal to get to the game etc, my mate was a good Braybrook boy from a hardworking family and didnt find it amusing.

Reply #91
did he win the punch on?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #92
did he win the punch on?

Fly, Braybrook boys know how to look after themselves....ended up with several fights as others got involved and damage to a car or two and thats why the police got involved.

Reply #93
Funnily (?) enough, I have found the older (45+) more likely to sledge and carry on like idiots, not realising they are now playing the lowest 2 day grade in the comp.

The only fight I have ever seen at cricket was between the opposition team, where one player threw a stump at his team mate and then chased him around with another.  There have been several that I have heard of (including one where the whole offending club was kicked out of the comp)

Funniest things that I have seen playing cricket include (excluding in-house stories)
 - a group of medieval fighters all dressed up doing their thing.  It stopped our game for about 15 minutes as we all watched
 - a guy riding a trail bike, not realising it was on fire until we were all shouting at him.  He got off pretty quick and proved he was a good sprinter - didn't come back for the bike.
 - fire brigade coming to put out a fire about 10 metres from the fine leg boundary, and only way to access was across the oval.  Fine leg fielder decided that they only needed to save the single rather than be on the boundary

Reply #94
Thanks Dodge, its recollections like yours that add so much to the rich tapestry of local sport.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #95
Rabada and the Saffies won their appeal so he will play in the 3rd test... :o :o...looked simple enough to me, he initiated contact with Smith and abused a couple of batsman
on the way out..guilty IMO....

Reply #96
Rabada and the Saffies won their appeal so he will play in the 3rd test... :o :o...looked simple enough to me, he initiated contact with Smith and abused a couple of batsman
I find it difficult to understand how Rabada could get off. he was clearly guilty and has a history that has nothing to do with playing Aussies.
There needs to be a real change in the process and penalties for this stuff. The present system is not working as it should. Rabada should have been suspended and he shouldn't be alone. Warner should have got a match. De Koch should have gone, and those 2 guys in Sri Lanka should have got multiple games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #97

You can't say that he's...............part of the quota!

He's not a bad bowler, but he's meat-head, then again so are some others.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
It was really minor, but player contact in cricket is an absolute no-no... plus he has a bad record... deserved to miss games. So did Warner and DeKock.

However, i’m pretty excited about the last two tests... Rabada’s opening spell to Warner in the 2nd innings was the sort of stuff that makes cricket a great sport.

Bring it on.

Reply #99
I'd hate to be umpiring a local cricket grand final this weekend, the ICC have declared open slather on batsmen after you get them out

Reply #100
Prof. It is a great thing about cricket - you spend so much time doing nothing that you have to sledge your teammates (so much more fun). Occasionally the stories are about someone's achievement, but moreso a failure of some kind.

One week we were playing on a ground next to our fifths and fielding.  A club legend (for  whom the duck club is named) came out to bat. We just stopped for a few minutes.  The legend (career batting average <5) was 'going for' his third consecutive golden duck.  We told the batsmen what was going on. They cheered as loudly as us as the golden was avoided. 

It is the richness of club,  as you suggest that makes it the sport it is.

Reply #101
What a disgrace....

might fire the Aussie lads up though. Theyve been pretty lethargic in their output imo...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #102
Funnily (?) enough, I have found the older (45+) more likely to sledge and carry on like idiots, not realising they are now playing the lowest 2 day grade in the comp.

The only fight I have ever seen at cricket was between the opposition team, where one player threw a stump at his team mate and then chased him around with another.  There have been several that I have heard of (including one where the whole offending club was kicked out of the comp)

Funniest things that I have seen playing cricket include (excluding in-house stories)
 - a group of medieval fighters all dressed up doing their thing.  It stopped our game for about 15 minutes as we all watched
 - a guy riding a trail bike, not realising it was on fire until we were all shouting at him.  He got off pretty quick and proved he was a good sprinter - didn't come back for the bike.
 - fire brigade coming to put out a fire about 10 metres from the fine leg boundary, and only way to access was across the oval.  Fine leg fielder decided that they only needed to save the single rather than be on the boundary

I never played cricket but reading your post makes me wish I had.

My Dad was a pretty good cricketer and one of my favourite mementos of him is a bat signed by his teammates and with a little plaque commemorating his 100th catch in a season for Coburg RSL.  He was on Carlton's list for a while but never managed to crack it for a game in the District team and went back to his mates at the RSL.  I wish I had recorded his cricket stories.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #103
Marc Murphy was a decent cricketer too - I think he played for the University firsts.   Played a bit against his brother who was also at University, who was playing way below his level.

DJC - 100 catches in a season is phenomenal - I reckon I would be about that mark having played seniors for about 30 years!

It's fun, keeps me sane and relieves stress of the week.

Reply #104
Marc Murphy was a decent cricketer too - I think he played for the University firsts.   Played a bit against his brother who was also at University, who was playing way below his level.

DJC - 100 catches in a season is phenomenal - I reckon I would be about that mark having played seniors for about 30 years!

It's fun, keeps me sane and relieves stress of the week.

Dad was a wicketkeeper - or "wicky" as my grandsons say (They love their cricket - and running, footy, basketball and tennis!) - but 100 catches is a fair effort.  He paid for it with a nose that was squashed across his face and hands that looked like they had been pounded with a mallet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball