Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle in Adelaide (Read 1927 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 4 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle in Adelaide

A twilight game at the Adelaide Oval against Freo, who are also unbeaten.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle in Adelaide

Reply #1
Looks like Marchy will miss with concussion, should be an easy swap with either Kemp or Young.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Top four clash on neutral territory.

Reply #3
This was the round last year when it all started to unravel. The Club hasn't won at the Adelaide Oval since 1972. Usually play alright against Fremantle.

Reply #4
Looks like Marchy will miss with concussion, should be an easy swap with either Kemp or Young.

Both played reasonably well in the Magoos but Kemp was switched forward.  Freo play three KPFs, and Jackson, so we might go with Young.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Young got a fair bit of the ball, but the North key forwards dominated and took big marks, especially after Kemp was moved forward.
Kemp's kicking in defence was ordinary, but his goal was brilliant. He offers more flexibility, but I think Young might come in.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I think freos forwards aren't that tall but have a bit of toe.  Will be interesting to see how we go.  For mine I'd be bringing back a smaller back or a medium tall for this one.  Not enough match ups to be too tall.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
I think freos forwards aren't that tall but have a bit of toe.
The Freo F50 is taller than us, three KPFs over 195cm and Jackson rests forward!

Could be a tough week for TDK, Jackson is in good form.

Freo have finally realised smashing Jackson in the ruck trying to win taps means nothing when you have a player with his sort of ground skill and agility. If a fan was naïve enough just to look at the rucks stats it would suggest O'Brien smashed Jackson, but the ruck stats are meaningless, Jackson made O'Brien look like a traffic cone.

When the ball got locked into the Freo F50, Treacy took some of the ruck and Jackson became a mobile 4th KPF in Charlie style.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
The Freo F50 is taller than us, three KPFs over 195cm and Jackson rests forward!

Could be a tough week for TDK, Jackson is in good form.

Freo have finally realised smashing Jackson in the ruck trying to win taps means nothing when you have a player with his sort of ground skill and agility. If a fan was naïve enough just to look at the rucks stats it would suggest O'Brien smashed Jackson, but the ruck stats are meaningless, Jackson made O'Brien look like a traffic cone.

When the ball got locked into the Freo F50, Treacy took some of the ruck and Jackson became a mobile 4th KPF in Charlie style.
yeah but who are they?  Amiss is the only one that looks promising.  Taberner is a good size but he's a bit of a dud, and treacy is a relative unknown quantity.

Remember height is one thing the ability to perform at the level is another.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Next four games - three will be against teams in the top four. If we are deserving of top two finish then next month will shape that.

Freo
Adelaide
GWS
Geelong

Reply #10
Next four games - three will be against teams in the top four. If we are deserving of top two finish then next month will shape that.

Freo
Adelaide
GWS
Geelong

No easy games in this group. Walsh back soon will help us. We need all the help we can get. Considering no Doc, and no Jack. Plus limited ruck stocks. Our pressure will be put to the test. If that holds up we could win more of these games than we expect. Bring on the mental focus Voss. Bring that on.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
No easy games in this group. Walsh back soon will help us. We need all the help we can get. Considering no Doc, and no Jack. Plus limited ruck stocks. Our pressure will be put to the test. If that holds up we could win more of these games than we expect. Bring on the mental focus Voss. Bring that on.
We are flying under everyone's radar at the moment.  The external pressure will be much more obvious if we beat Freo this week.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #12
yeah but who are they?  Amiss is the only one that looks promising.  Taberner is a good size but he's a bit of a dud, and treacy is a relative unknown quantity.

Remember height is one thing the ability to perform at the level is another.

Treacy, Taberner, Jackson and Amiss have kicked 20 goals out of Freo's 38 goals so far this season.  That's a potent group of tall forwards whichever way you look at it and they will stretch our defence regardless of who comes in for Marchy.

I can't see us bringing Pitto back (Freo rucks Jackson and Treacy) or swapping a tall defender for a small/medium defender.  Cincotta has put his hand up, and he would probably be a good match up for Frederick, but  I think Williams and Boyd have done enough to stay in the 22.

If we're going to win this one, and I think we will, it will be our team defence rather than individual match ups that will get the job done.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
Treacy, Taberner, Jackson and Amiss have kicked 20 goals out of Freo's 38 goals so far this season.  That's a potent group of tall forwards whichever way you look at it and they will stretch our defence regardless of who comes in for Marchy.

I can't see us bringing Pitto back (Freo rucks Jackson and Treacy) or swapping a tall defender for a small/medium defender.  Cincotta has put his hand up, and he would probably be a good match up for Frederick, but  I think Williams and Boyd have done enough to stay in the 22.

If we're going to win this one, and I think we will, it will be our team defence rather than individual match ups that will get the job done.
I like Amiss but the rest of their tall forwards are duds imho, in the past its been the Freo small forwards led by Schultz now at Collingwood who have worried us. Id be manning up Serong with Hewett and having a defensive half forward(Cottrell) on Young as well as making sure Ryan has an opponent to worry about and isnt allowed to play loose and rack up the intercepts.
If it was at Freo it might be more of fight to win but I think on neutral ground id expect to win by 3-5 goals.
Interesting to hear Fyfe speak about his new role and how he is there to do the grunt work, provide blocks etc and not be the main man anymore. Id be expecting him to work Cripps over and play a negative game on him and our other bigger mids like Kennedy....

Reply #14

Never say never.
Pittonet was very good in the VFL at the weekend.
There's been some suggestions about TDK playing back.
Could be an interesting selection meeting.