Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 27768 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
Gorringe can't hold position against opposition ruckmen and is too easily brushed aside in contests.  If he is going to play mainly as a ruckman, he has to be bigger and stronger.  He is most suited to playing as a tall half forward, as was his stated position in the pre-season.

Like many around him, the bloke needs time to gain confidence and learn the speed of the game at senior level.....the guy's played 24 senior games Clearly lost his way at GC, maybe injury, loss of confidence.....

From all reports, an elite runner and a hard match up aerobically given his stature.....

From the GC web site:

Stuck behind Tom Nicholls and Zac Smith in the ruck queue, Gorringe was again hampered by injury in 2014.

An Achilles problem cost the South Australian 12 weeks on the sidelines,
 but he got three senior games late in the season to push his case before a knee injury finished his year early.

Gorringe is athletic, has a great leap and moves around the ground well, but is down the pecking order and will need to work hard to command a regular spot.

He emerged as one of the strongest runners at the club during the summer and has put his hand up for a role in the midfield during the year.

A WIP?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
As someone has previously suggested, maybe Gorringe is a potential Blicavs type player? Seems to have the physical attributes.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Like many around him, the bloke needs time to gain confidence and learn the speed of the game at senior level.....the guy's played 24 senior games Clearly lost his way at GC, maybe injury, loss of confidence.....

From all reports, an elite runner and a hard match up aerobically given his stature.....

From the GC web site:

A WIP?

I think so FB.  I'd like to see him develop as a tall utility with the ability to stretch opponents both aerobically and in the air.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
http://video.news.com.au/v/1906/Draft-Dreams-Dan-Gorringe

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-21/suns-seeks-to-prove-himself

GOLD Coast tall Daniel Gorringe has a simple goal this year, but believes he might need to reinvent himself to achieve it.

Gorringe was widely regarded as the best junior ruckman in 2010 and the Suns gladly took him at pick No.10 in their inaugural draft that year.

However, the South Australian has struggled to make the transition from junior football to the AFL, and has played just 20 senior games in his four years on the Gold Coast.

After a failed attempt to return home to Adelaide at the end of last season, the 22-year-old has made a strong start to the 2015 pre-season and is determined to prove that the Suns picked wisely back in 2010.

"My main aim now is to prove to the Suns that I can play — and I want to play," Gorringe told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

"I love it here, we have a new coach with ‘Rocket’ (Rodney Eade) and I've enjoyed working with him."

However, with the Suns' ruck division already boasting Zac Smith, Tom Nicholls and pinch-hitting forward Charlie Dixon, Gorringe, 199cm, is eyeing a possible switch to the midfield in 2015.

"I think my best position is probably somewhere in the midfield where I can run and open up and take the game on," Gorringe said.

"I'm not too tall for the middle and I'm pretty mobile, as mobile as the other mids.

"Everyone has this perception that if you're tall you can't run around, but I reckon I'm right to be in there and do what they're doing.
"

Gorringe is coming off a horror 2014 season. Sidelined for three months early in the year with an Achilles tendon injury, he broke into the Suns' team in round 19 and played three straight games before a knee injury ended his season.

Last October, Gorringe sought a trade home, with Port Adelaide emerging as the keenest suitor.

But the Power's main focus was brokering a deal for Essendon ruckman Patrick Ryder, and when those negotiations dragged into the final day of the trade period, Gorringe's hopes of a move were dashed.

However, since returning to Metricon Stadium for pre-season training in November, Gorringe has totally committed to preparing himself for a 2015 season that he acknowledges could be career-defining.

"I've laid some good foundations through the pre-season, so it's going to be a big year for my future, which is exciting and a bit nerve-racking at the same time," he said.

"But I’m always up for a challenge."

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
The way Gorringe moves reminds me of Lawrence Angwin hopefully not his nocturnal ways  ;D

Reply #50
Really, if we bring the same intensity we brought against the Cats on Saturday, this should be an easy win.
But on their day, as the Hawks found out last week, the Lions can be a formidable opponent and not that easy o shake off.
Just need to maintain focus, make sure the players keep their feet on the ground this week after all the good press we ve been getting.
On a side not, wish Tommy Bell a good game, but not too good. Feel no ill will towards him.
Robbo on the other hand, I hope cops a few crunching tackles from big Crippa!!

Reply #51
The way Gorringe moves reminds me of Lawrence Angwin hopefully not his nocturnal ways  ;D

Lawrence had very sticky fingers and long arms.....was a good mark too... ;)

Reply #52
Really, if we bring the same intensity we brought against the Cats on Saturday, this should be an easy win.
But on their day, as the Hawks found out last week, the Lions can be a formidable opponent and not that easy o shake off.
Just need to maintain focus, make sure the players keep their feet on the ground this week after all the good press we ve been getting.
On a side not, wish Tommy Bell a good game, but not too good. Feel no ill will towards him.
Robbo on the other hand, I hope cops a few crunching tackles from big Crippa!!

Dom I think our pressure will be more intense and unrelenting than that of the Hawks if we repeat last Sundays dosage. Hopefully the Lions will then cough up plenty of turnovers and make plenty of mistakes.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
Gorringe can't hold position against opposition ruckmen and is too easily brushed aside in contests.  If he is going to play mainly as a ruckman, he has to be bigger and stronger.  He is most suited to playing as a tall half forward, as was his stated position in the pre-season.

How many ruck contests do you reckon occur during any given game?

Whatever it is, halve it, as he is rucking in tandem with kreuzer.
Halve it again as the opposition will win half anyway.

Of whatever is left, what % of them are there clear hitouts to advantage? maybe 20%.

Given about 80 stoppages a game, thus ruck contests.
Kreuzer takes 40, Gorringe 40.
Opposition win half - leaving gorringe with 20.
Of that 20, 20% go to advantage.....so 4.

Now assume Gorringe only wins 10% of his hitouts, instead of 50%.
Hitouts to advantage drops from 4 to 1.

You want to drop a bloke because over the course of a game he might get you 3 hitouts to advantage less than someone else....say phillips.

What about the rest of the game played outside the ruck? He's kicking 1.5 goals a game at the moment and offering a target around the ground. I'd argue that is far more valuable than 3 hitouts to advantage we might be losing.

People think ruck = hitouts.....and forget that for 95% of the game the ruckman doesn't do any rucking!

Reply #54

Gorringe certainly moves well, but Angwin still has him covered. Never seen a bloke his size simply run around people trying to tackle him......Buddy excluded.

Reply #55
How many ruck contests do you reckon occur during any given game?

Whatever it is, halve it, as he is rucking in tandem with kreuzer.
Halve it again as the opposition will win half anyway.

Of whatever is left, what % of them are there clear hitouts to advantage? maybe 20%.

Given about 80 stoppages a game, thus ruck contests.
Kreuzer takes 40, Gorringe 40.
Opposition win half - leaving gorringe with 20.
Of that 20, 20% go to advantage.....so 4.

Now assume Gorringe only wins 10% of his hitouts, instead of 50%.
Hitouts to advantage drops from 4 to 1.

You want to drop a bloke because over the course of a game he might get you 3 hitouts to advantage less than someone else....say phillips.

What about the rest of the game played outside the ruck? He's kicking 1.5 goals a game at the moment and offering a target around the ground. I'd argue that is far more valuable than 3 hitouts to advantage we might be losing.

People think ruck = hitouts.....and forget that for 95% of the game the ruckman doesn't do any rucking!

Did I say anything about hitouts, or about dropping Gorringe for that matter?  Comprehension doesn't seem to be your strength  ???

My point is that Gorringe is too easily brushed aside by opposition ruckmen (and defenders) in contested ball situations and that's part and parcel of a ruckman's workload, regardless of how much time he spends on the ball.  Gorringe is actually reasonably effective at centre bounces because he has an unencumbered leap at the ball.

My preferred position for Gorringe is as a tall utility (as discussed below) and Gorringe sees himself as a tall midfielder.

By the way, thanks for the ruck analysis.  It is probably the most over-thought, meaningless nonsense I have read on this site and it gave me a very good laugh and, yes, I know small things amuse small minds  ;)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
OK: enough of the baiting. Agree to disagree and move on. There is much too much positive going on around here to lose it. Playing the poster is not our way.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Did I say anything about hitouts, or about dropping Gorringe for that matter?  Comprehension doesn't seem to be your strength  ???

My point is that Gorringe is too easily brushed aside by opposition ruckmen (and defenders) in contested ball situations and that's part and parcel of a ruckman's workload, regardless of how much time he spends on the ball.  Gorringe is actually reasonably effective at centre bounces because he has an unencumbered leap at the ball.

My preferred position for Gorringe is as a tall utility (as discussed below) and Gorringe sees himself as a tall midfielder.

By the way, thanks for the ruck analysis.  It is probably the most over-thought, meaningless nonsense I have read on this site and it gave me a very good laugh and, yes, I know small things amuse small minds  ;)

That wasn't just directed at you but to everyone who has been bagging out Gorringes ruck ability. (Jimbo amongst others), yes your post was quoted because it served as the popular opinion, not just because it was yours.

Not like you to go off half-c0cked and overreact.

So you thought that analysis was over-throught? I thought it was a very simplistic example myself. Each to their own.

Reply #58
That wasn't just directed at you but to everyone who has been bagging out Gorringes ruck ability. (Jimbo amongst others), yes your post was quoted because it served as the popular opinion, not just because it was yours.

Not like you to go off half-c0cked and overreact.

So you thought that analysis was over-throught? I thought it was a very simplistic example myself. Each to their own.

It reminded me of an analysis my late brother once did of basketball.  It showed that in a team of five players, each player will only have the ball for around four minutes of a 40 minute game.  The message was meant to be about working harder when you don't have the ball but it was lost in the maths.  It's not the hitouts Gorringe may win that is important, it's how well he nullifies his opponent, blocks opposition midfielders, brings the ball to ground in marking contests, makes a contest and, as he did so well on Sunday, uses his run and anticipation to create scoring opportunities.

Like many of our players, he's a work in progress and I have a feeling that he will develop into a similar player to Blicavs; almost impossible to match up - unless you're Patrick Cripps  :)

Reply #59
It reminded me of an analysis my late brother once did of basketball.  It showed that in a team of five players, each player will only have the ball for around four minutes of a 40 minute game.  The message was meant to be about working harder when you don't have the ball but it was lost in the maths.  It's not the hitouts Gorringe may win that is important, it's how well he nullifies his opponent, blocks opposition midfielders, brings the ball to ground in marking contests, makes a contest and, as he did so well on Sunday, uses his run and anticipation to create scoring opportunities.

Like many of our players, he's a work in progress and I have a feeling that he will develop into a similar player to Blicavs; almost impossible to match up - unless you're Patrick Cripps  :)

The bold was the take home point.....as mentioned previously, wasn't specifically directed at you.
He does other more important things on the field that make him far more valuable than people realise. Hitting the scoreboard being the obvious one that can't be overlooked.