Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown (Read 25021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown

Reply #105
If they are on the list, then what is the point of retaining them if they are not going to get a game?

Why wouldnt you put Jones on Buddy to play a role, if the other talls are currently a bad matchup?

Why wouldnt you put Jones to pinch hit into the ruck, if Phillips can barely run around for a half, Kreuzer is still "sore" and you dont want to slaughter Harry Mckay so early into his career?

Because he has no future in the game??  Thats not the right reason to exclude anyone who is currently on our list.  We may as well have paid the bloke out last season, parted ways with him, and then recruited a new player.  We still might do this at the end of this year, but if he manages to reignite his AFL career, we might even find someone who wants to trade with us for his services, and whilst that might seem farfetched, Hawthorn went and picked up Ty Vickery.  Its not impossible.  We only stand to lose, by ignoring players putting their hand up for selection and then ignoring them. It sends the wrong message to all and sundry and only cuts off your nose to spite your face.

If they are on the list, and havent retired they should be viewed as a senior player irrespective of when they are getting games.

One thing I am quickly learning about our reset, is that our football club isn't the only thing that needs to change.

I won't be giving up on Jones yet, his first few VFL games this year have shown a significant change, will that translate to AFL who knows?

I keep reminding myself he is only 26, and rumors now have him at 199cm tall and 102kg. The level of ground work he has done in the VFL in the first two games is Kreuzer like. That's worth something, worth persisting with for now anyway. I suspect coaches and selectors want to see that persist for more than just a game or two before he gets a run, because from my perspective based on that sort of effort he would have been better value than Phillips who gave us nothing at ground level.

I've argued often before, regarding Warnock, regarding Hampson, taps mean nothing for ruckmen if they don't come accompanied by marking, tackling, shepherds, blocks, positioning, intimidation and territory! Jones gave the NBs almost all that including a reasonable result on the tap work, last weekend Phillips was Warnock like and I find that more worrying than Jones' lack of clear tap work!

At the moment Jones has a touch of Setanta about him!

Fwiw, if Matthew Watson had shown the sort of commitment to work and change that Jones has, he'd probably still be around too!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
I mentioned it in another thread this morning, I would be keen to see Jones play on Franklin.

Reckon as a key back, he could become something. I'd like to see us find out FWIW.

Reply #107
Philips was underdone, massively!

What one game back from a lengthy stint on the sidelines....probably shouldn't have been picked imo...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #108
If they are on the list, then what is the point of retaining them if they are not going to get a game?

Why wouldnt you put Jones on Buddy to play a role, if the other talls are currently a bad matchup?

Why wouldnt you put Jones to pinch hit into the ruck, if Phillips can barely run around for a half, Kreuzer is still "sore" and you dont want to slaughter Harry Mckay so early into his career?

Because he has no future in the game??  Thats not the right reason to exclude anyone who is currently on our list.  We may as well have paid the bloke out last season, parted ways with him, and then recruited a new player.  We still might do this at the end of this year, but if he manages to reignite his AFL career, we might even find someone who wants to trade with us for his services, and whilst that might seem farfetched, Hawthorn went and picked up Ty Vickery.  Its not impossible.  We only stand to lose, by ignoring players putting their hand up for selection and then ignoring them. It sends the wrong message to all and sundry and only cuts off your nose to spite your face.

If they are on the list, and havent retired they should be viewed as a senior player irrespective of when they are getting games.

One thing I am quickly learning about our reset, is that our football club isn't the only thing that needs to change.

I think the club should have paid him out. There is very little chance of him getting a game with younger talls needing exposure.

Reply #109
Philips was underdone, massively!

What one game back from a lengthy stint on the sidelines....probably shouldn't have been picked imo...

We needed a ruckman as Kreuzer was out. The club wouldn't have wanted to play him but the only other option is Korcheck who seems a long way of AFL level.

Reply #110
We needed a ruckman as Kreuzer was out. The club wouldn't have wanted to play him but the only other option is Korcheck who seems a long way of AFL level.

Korcheck is on the injury list anyway, AC apparently!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
Yes, last week we were desperate for anyone faintly looking like a ruckman.

We have only a few on the list.
Senior List:
[1] Kreuzer
[2] Phillips
[3] Gorringe

Rookie List:
[1] Korchek

VFL list:
[1] Angus Milhan
[2] Sean Bolger

That is to cover 3 teams each week.

Of those, only Phillips and Bolger were fit last week. Phillips really struggled and is some weeks away, Bolger has been playing CHB for the VFL Development side. He played VFL seniors last week, as the back-up for Liam Jones.
That provided us with 0 ruckmen for the development game, which we still almost won.

It shows that out squad is very light on ruckmen of any variety.
In fact, it would be the only division that does not look to have improved its personnel.

One of our recruiting priorities for this year should be to improve our ruck stocks. Why?
[1] Kreuzer has a heart like Phar Lap, but he is not a premiership winning ruckman.
[2] Phillips offers a bit, but does not look like the answer either.
[3] Gorringe is just not a great ruckman. He is better in other roles and should be used in them.
[4] Korchek doesn't look like the answer either. His actual ruck work has improved quite a bit, but he does not have much of a tank and he is still ordinary in the other aspects of the game.

We can keep Korchek on for another year without a problem, as he is an International Rookie. Kreuzer is worth more for us than he as a trade. Nobody will give us the picks worth his worth to us. Phillips and Gorringe o on their last chances.
Live Long and Prosper!